Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #16  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Renee, have you tried eating only your AP and not your WP?
Yes, I have tried that too, but the thing is, from the online program it automatically deducts from your WP if you go over daily, so i had an excel worksheet I was using for a few months but then even that got frustratinng since nothing was happening.

I don't know. I guess I really am the only one who is having this problem. I'm really not trying to be resistant, in fact, I haven't given up after an entire year so I think that says something.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Renee it sounds like you are doing everything right for sure! I think it may be a matter for your physician to figure out, thyroid, possible diabetes? pcos? I mean many many health reasons can cause a stall.. birth control pills...new medications etc etc but I wanted to commend you on sticking with the plan for a year at this plateau! that is amazing! Hopefully some medical tests can give you some answers and things will pick back up for ya
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #18  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
If I'm following with my 29 points per day and my 49 a week and I have activity points of nearly the same about of weekly points, it shouldn't really matter, right? That's why WW has already calculated cals/fat/protein/carbs/fibre?
I've been a WW member for a long time (lifetime member since 1991). I recently found that was not losing as quickly (this was not on Points Plus but on the old Points program).

For me, I found that can't eat all my weekly points and activity points and still lose effectively.

I find that I lose better if I eat less than 10 weekly points.

For activity points, it is very very easy to overestimate the intensity and duration of exercise. I am very conservative and always choose the lowest intensity and round down in terms on duration. I think I probably do earn more AP but this way I seem to lose better.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

Is it possible this IS the weight you should be at?
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Argh! that must be so frustrating!

I went through something similar. I was doing WW (not the new plan pointsplus but the one just before that) and not losing anything. I was down to 19 points and still not losing anything. I stopped eating after 8 pm, cut out salt, maybe lost 5 lb maximum over months and months (6 months?).

I am 36 years old, and thought, well maybe because I'm getting older it's getting harder?

Anyway, I read something about breaking through personal barriers, and decided to do a 30-day hot yoga challenge. It was only after 30 days of intense 1-hour per day exercise that I FINALLY lost some weight. 7 lb in 30 days. Which is HUGE for me.

So... my point is I guess is that bodies are annoying. you can be doing everything right food-wise, but sometimes it takes a monumentous change in a completely different type of exercise to spark things up again.

I see you were exercising heavily in the summer. However, two things came to mind - one is that maybe a completely different type of exercise might shake things up. And two is that maybe you shouldn't eat your activity points? That's what worked finally for me.

For example - I ran for 30 min on the treadmill FIVE TIMES A WEEK. you think that would do something right? nope. I lost nothing actually. With the hot yoga, I suddenly started to lose. *shrugs* I don't know why!

I hope any or part of that helps you. I did read your post thoroughly, and it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing food-wise, and how to tweak things. So I was just thinking of ANYTHING that could try and help you!

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #21  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
Renee it sounds like you are doing everything right for sure! I think it may be a matter for your physician to figure out, thyroid, possible diabetes? pcos? I mean many many health reasons can cause a stall.. birth control pills...new medications etc etc but I wanted to commend you on sticking with the plan for a year at this plateau! that is amazing! Hopefully some medical tests can give you some answers and things will pick back up for ya
thanks! I should get some blood work done next week hopefully (have to call this morning for the appt).
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #22  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Deltawifey View Post
What type of birth control are you on? When I tried to lose weight while on birth control I was never successful and my body would hold onto the weight but now that I have gotten off of it I am able to steadily lose weight.
I haven't been on birth control for years. I'm not on any meds at all. I am 42 though but still I think it's too young to be going through any heavy hormonal change.

I hardly even take aspirin. Only vitamins when I remember!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #23  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Is it possible this IS the weight you should be at?
Hey Cheryl, nope I am still technically overweight at this weight. In fact, my own goal weight is 70 KG or 154lbs which is even just over the edge for my height.

I don't want to be "skinny" I just don't want these extra 10Kilos (22 lbs).
Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #24  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
I've been a WW member for a long time (lifetime member since 1991). I recently found that was not losing as quickly (this was not on Points Plus but on the old Points program).

For me, I found that can't eat all my weekly points and activity points and still lose effectively.

I find that I lose better if I eat less than 10 weekly points.

For activity points, it is very very easy to overestimate the intensity and duration of exercise. I am very conservative and always choose the lowest intensity and round down in terms on duration. I think I probably do earn more AP but this way I seem to lose better.
This summer, what I was trying to do was earn the same amount of AP's per week as my weekly points. With running, even at moderate intensity (which I'm at) you can earn a lot of points. Everything else I would "under" estimate because like you, I'd rather play it down than assume up. But I was really, REALLY hungry. So I had to eat my weeklies at that point. It's not the same at this moment, but I tend to use the weeklies more freely in the weekend with a special dinner or wine for example.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #25  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathingSpace View Post
Argh! that must be so frustrating!

I went through something similar. I was doing WW (not the new plan pointsplus but the one just before that) and not losing anything. I was down to 19 points and still not losing anything. I stopped eating after 8 pm, cut out salt, maybe lost 5 lb maximum over months and months (6 months?).

I am 36 years old, and thought, well maybe because I'm getting older it's getting harder?

Anyway, I read something about breaking through personal barriers, and decided to do a 30-day hot yoga challenge. It was only after 30 days of intense 1-hour per day exercise that I FINALLY lost some weight. 7 lb in 30 days. Which is HUGE for me.

So... my point is I guess is that bodies are annoying. you can be doing everything right food-wise, but sometimes it takes a monumentous change in a completely different type of exercise to spark things up again.

I see you were exercising heavily in the summer. However, two things came to mind - one is that maybe a completely different type of exercise might shake things up. And two is that maybe you shouldn't eat your activity points? That's what worked finally for me.

For example - I ran for 30 min on the treadmill FIVE TIMES A WEEK. you think that would do something right? nope. I lost nothing actually. With the hot yoga, I suddenly started to lose. *shrugs* I don't know why!

I hope any or part of that helps you. I did read your post thoroughly, and it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing food-wise, and how to tweak things. So I was just thinking of ANYTHING that could try and help you!

~BreathingSpace~
I do probably need to do various types of exercise instead of just running. I have so little time (really!), but I was already thinking I need to just plan it in and do it.

Thanks for this.

And thanks actually to all who responded!!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #26  

Renee

Could you have sodium sensitivity? I stalled on the program, and as soon as I started cutting back on table salt, the scale started moving downward.

It is painful, because I love the taste of salty foods. However, the results I am getting make the sacrifice totally worth it.

I hope that you find the answer. I know how frustrating it is to not lose weight when you are doing everything "right". Good luck.
brookelynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #27  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

1. The more you diet, the more your metabolism slows down. Given your statements about having been a WW for over 10 years and just now having 22 pounds to lose tells me that you've yo-yo'd, probably several times (if you're like a lot of us, then a dozen times or more). Each time, it gets harder to lose the weight again, because your metabolism never bounces back all the way, even when you gain back weight. Sadly, you can be stuck with a body that simply won't lose fat until you get to a more rigorous calorie/point level than WW recommends (e.g. like the PP suggests- no weekly points and/or no activity points).
2. Most people have a tendency toward "portion creep" whenever they stop weighing and measuring. It doesn't take much added food to add an extra 200-300 cal/day, without being aware of it. Measure ALL of your food again for awhile.
3. I agree with PP, that if you do the same form of exercise at the same level of intensity for many months, you become increasingly efficient at it. Efficiency is BAD for weight loss. If you like running, try doing interval training- basically, alternate jogging at a slow-comfortable speed for 1-2 minutes with running all-out (enough that you're gasping for air and couldn't keep it up for another minute). Or mix cardio with body-weight training (the Jillian Michaels approach).

Good luck.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #28  

yes, your body can plateau. mine is really resistant to losing, and i have to totally jolt it into losing anything. it will go through the jolt, then quit. rinse and repeat, assuming i can jolt it again. if your exercise has been mostly running, you've probably lost some muscle mass and have less tissue to burn any calories. if you have been doing strength training, it could just be a plateau because now your body has figured out how to be efficient. i understand not much time to exercise, etc. but maybe some of those short dvd workouts to switch things up? i just know my own body will plateau any chance it gets.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #29  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelynne View Post
Renee

Could you have sodium sensitivity? I stalled on the program, and as soon as I started cutting back on table salt, the scale started moving downward.

It is painful, because I love the taste of salty foods. However, the results I am getting make the sacrifice totally worth it.

I hope that you find the answer. I know how frustrating it is to not lose weight when you are doing everything "right". Good luck.

Hmmm. How could I find out if I have a sodium sensitivity? I never considered it because I don't really bloat and drink loads of water.

Thanks for your response
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #30  

Renee

You would have to check with a doctor to know for sure. For me, the symptoms were high blood pressure, swollen hands, knees, ankles, and feet, and weight gain.

I am told that some people may be sodium sensitive and have normal blood pressure, but their bodies still could be retaining water. Water is heavy! If you consume a lot of restaurant meals, canned and processed foods, or salty condiments, you may be taking in way more sodium than your body can efficiently process, even though you stay within your DPT. If for some reason your body can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume makes you heavier than you would be if the excess sodium had been excreted.

Since you have tried so many other things, why not reduce you salt intake and see if that makes a difference?
brookelynne is offline   Reply With Quote