Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 06:42 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - September 30, 2002

It's a crisp and cool last day of September here on the east coast. Definitely feels like Fall today, altho most of the leaves are still green. I expect we'll see a change in that over the next week or so.

Well, I wimped out and didn't go to weigh-in. Since I was going to have to pay anyway, I decided I would rather it be for missing a month than for being over goal. I will weigh-in this coming Saturday when I hope to be a little lighter than I have been over the past few weeks.

Got out for a run yesterday with my sister and it was glorious. We ran along a salt marsh trail. The sun was blazing, there was a light breeze, so it made for perfect running weather. Lots of people out and about enjoying the day.

How was your weekend?
Old 09-30-2002, 08:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Weekend? What weekend?? Mine passed by in a blurr. Friday was extremely hectic. My brother-in-law was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital with chest pains on Friday and was admitted into ICU. To make a long story short, he's 46 and is undergoing quadruple bypass surgery this morning. We were busy making arrangements for my mom to get down to help my sister (she has a 4 and 13 year old) and to give her some support. It took them 2 days to get him stabilized so it's been pretty hairy to say the least. Phew!

Anyway, Saturday I worked at WW in the morning, headed out to the bowling alley, took my younger son to serve as a altar server for a wedding, then took my older son to practice parallel parking. It was busy to say the least. Sunday I was in Buffalo for a big WW meeting. Had a lot of fun and enjoyed the day, but the weekend went by so fast. This week will be a little crazy as well but once through this week things should calm down a little.

Susan: I totally understand about not weighing in. It sounds like you took advantage of the weather and had a nice run. Most of my days were spent inside so I didn't get to take advantage of the nice weather. Today they're calling for a high of 80 so I'm hoping to get outside and get some walking in over the lunch hour, unless I decide to run to the store.

Mondays come way too fast!
Old 09-30-2002, 12:44 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

I agree with both of you. The weekend just flew by. We worked in the yard (ouch--sore muscles). We had a friend over for dinner last night. We had many low-fat or fat free items and she was amazed. I like educating folks.

It will be in the high 80's today--hot, hot. I'm looking forward to a break. Pretty soon, my husband and I head to Chicago for the Marathon.

Melissa, I'm sorry about your brother. That is young for quadruple bypass. My husband is a Patient Care Tech at our local hospital and he works with bypass patients every day. Just tell your brother to listen to what they tell him to do.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:58 PM   #4  
si, si signora

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping that everyone has a smooth week.

Melissa- yikes on the BIL. I hope the procedure goes smoothly.

Susan- I'm not even getting near a scale until the TOM is over. I am however, realizing its a scant 7 weeks away from the US thanksgiving and I'm hoping to be down 10.

Yikes.

So, other than that, went to Oregon with DP. Spent Friday happily antiquing with a friend, spent Saturday with DP and friend comparing prices between antiques (looking for arts and crafts
period sideboard and library table) and new stickley reproductions. Realizing that antiques are more affordable and I'll definitely be back. Our friend flew up with us and attended a
retirement party. We had fun catching up and surprising everyone. But alas, a houseguest means stuff doesn't get done.

Anyways, back to work and all that jazz.

Hope everyone has a great week. I'll be checking in more regularily.

oops, i realized domina also checked in. Stay cool in FL and enjoy chicago and the marathon. Your husband is running correct?

lala
Old 10-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #5  

Hi everyone!

Well, my brother-in-law ended up having 5 bypasses not 4 as was anticipated. Word has it that he will be discharged on Thursday as long as things keep progressing well. I'm wondering now if he'll stop smoking.

We're experiencing summer-like weather here with temps in the 80's the past few days. I'm sure we're going to be hit with reality soon since cooler weather is forecasted for next week. I've been taking advantage of the weather and have been getting out walking. The past 2 days I've been hitting the pavement and have to say I feel good about it. Now if I could just get up a little earlier in the morning so I didn't rush around so much in the morning. I'm going to try to get to bed a little earlier and see if that helps. Lately I've been staying up later (11 pm) and find it difficult to drag my butt out of bed.

Not much else happening around here...it sure is quiet on the boards...
Old 10-01-2002, 04:25 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi there Melissa,

A quintuple bypass! Goodness. I would probably get rid of the ciggies and buy him a 5 lb bag of baby carrots.

Nothing new here, DP has officially started her doctorate program and I'm her biggest cheerleader . Suffice it to say, our day of wine and roses are gone. Its back to the books for the next few years.

We are dog sitting another dog and that has disrupted our routine a bit. The cat is not amused and the other dog is not amused that we are not her parents. Only another 18 days, but who is counting....

It was 42 degrees this am. Its time to plug in the cat's heating pad and close some windows here. I did put some laundry on the line, so it'll be cold but dry by this afternoon.

Enjoy the sun. I'm going to try and harvest the last of the toms today.

lala
Old 10-02-2002, 07:24 AM   #7  

Melissa, I also hope your brother gives up the cigarettes. They're good for nothing. He's been given a second lease on life.

Lala, 42 degrees--that's cold. I didn't realize your cold weather came so soon.

Florida is still hot, hot, hot. These tropical storms are bringing in so much humidity.

Not much new here, just really busy at work. Our fiscal year ended on Monday and it was a bit crazy. I'm really looking forward to our little trip to Chicago. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in downtown?

Old 10-02-2002, 08:07 AM   #8  

Domina: I've been to the Italian Village several times and haven't been disappointed. They actually have 3 levels in the restaurant (casual/dressy/??). I've eaten both times on the 2nd level. The meals are good and the atmosphere and staff are great. They are very accommodating as well. I'm heading to Chicago in December for a meeting and am planning on arriving a day early to go downtown for some shopping. I just love Chicago at Christmas!

It's still warm here, although it's supposed to cool down tomorrow. It's really unusual for us to be in the 80's in October. I'm not going to complain because we've had snow before at the beginning of the month!

Lala: 42 sounds refreshing! The temps didn't drop too much overnight so it was a little uncomfortable for sleeping. I can totally relate about the extra pet in the house...our dogs don't appreciate it when my cousin comes in with her dog.

Happy Hump Day!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:09 AM   #9  

Good morning.

It's dark and raining here this morning but warm for October. Another uncomfortable nite - it's hard to know what to expect from one nite to the next. The extra blanket goes on the bed, then it comes off, then we freeze, etc. etc. I'll be happy when we reach some consistency, whatever it is.

Melissa: I guess if your BIL needed incentive to quit, he has it now. How is he doing?

Domina: Hope you have a blast in Chicago. I can't remember - is this your DH's first marathon, or is he a veteran? Either way, I imagine he's pretty excited.

lala: So, would your dog and cat go so far as to work together to maybe ambush the unwelcome visitor? It must be funny to watch them express their displeasure.

Nothing much new here either. DH is going away on a male-bonding weekend tomorrow, and my sister is entertaining a friend from Calgary, so I'll be flying solo. Except for Sunday when I'll take part with thousands of others in the 5K Run for the Cure.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:30 AM   #10  

Susan: We're experiencing the same type of weather here. It was 82 yesterday, today it's only 67, dark & rainy; tomorrow is supposed to be in the upper 70's and then Saturday back down. My BIL is being discharged this morning from the hospital. The doctor talked to him about quitting and they are using the patch and possibly something to take the "edge" off. I hope he quits (and my sister too).

On an up note I was down .2 this week. I've been walking more and I'm hoping that it will show up next week. The humid temps don't help in my weight either as my rings are tight and I know that means that I'm holding onto fluids. I have a quiet weekend on the horizon and I'm looking forward to getting some things done around the house. Only big thing happening is my son is planning on taking his driver's license test on Saturday.

Anyone else have any weekend plans?
Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 PM   #11  

My DH is not a Marathon novice; I think this is #24!

Susan: Good luck in your 5K.
Melissa: Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. That sounds good.

This weekend we will be attending festivities for a new library in our town and on Sunday we will be watching a play. Some of my friends are in it.

Just found out I'm headed to Colorado Springs the first part of next week. I think it's a little chilly there.

Other than that, just waiting for the 90 degree weather to break.

Old 10-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

Its amazingly rainy and grey here too. Suffice it to say, Jacques went out and did his business and galumphed back in to the couch. They are both at the groomers today. At least they'll be tired and clean.

I had a nice 4:30 am drive to the airport with DP. This will be a weekly occurence, so I'm going to start going to bed earlier. I'm dragging now.

Other than that, its great to have rain. Our lawn is parched and I have lots of perennials that need to be planted.

Domina - wow- 24 marathons. Have fun in Colorado Springs. I'm off to Boulder in a few weeks. I love colorado.

Melissa- I also hope the patch works for your BIL. Good on your loss.

Susan- Sounds like a nice weekend of doing things for yourself. Have fun on the run.

I hope the Myra, Laurel and Patch are well. I'm also hoping that kt is doing okay.

I guess I should get some work done.

lala
Closed Thread