Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/216.5/120

Height: 4'11

Default very very small loss 1st week... discouraged !

I only lost .5 this week. I am very discouraged. I ate very healthy and balanced all week. Lots of veggies and WW 0 pt soup.

I would have thought after all the crap I used to eat, this week I would have seen an oustanding weight loss...

Has this ever happened to anyone the first week ?

I have not joined but have all the materials at home. Could this be why ?

I was told it was because I used all my Flex Points, but I thought they were there to use.... ?
letstrythisagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #2  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Default ...

They are there to use and not feel guilty about, but so far I haven't used very many at all myself, maybe 6 the first week? Because of all the zero point veggies I am eating. I don't have that week's tracker in front of me, so I am guessing 6. I'm near the end of my week two, so I don't know a lot about WW just yet, myself.

Maybe try only eating half of the weekly points this week? and see if that affects the scale better?

It's still a loss, , congrats!

Oh, and post one of your days on here, maybe the more experienced can give you more ideas to help you along.

Zan
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

I am in the same boat. Was feeling very discouraged last night when I weighed in and then ate icecream....like that helps.

So today back on track. Just take it day by day. Obviously from all the success stories on this board it can be done....even by you and I - we just have to stick with it each and every day.

I need to get motivated and workout in the a.m., but that snooze is so easy to hit.
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #4  

Yes, I still have the 'exercise' card if I continue to see small results. I am only doing a small 20 min walk on lunch with my dog and it's certainly not brisk (he likes to stop at every tree to pee on it)

I can always join as well if I am not seeing results. I am doing it from home now, I have joined and quit about 5 times in the past, I have all the materials, But I am CHEAP
so if need be I can join

I just really thought I would see some dramatic result expecially considering I am eating nothing like I used too

oh well today is a new day.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #5  
One Day

S/C/G: 148/128

Height: 5'2

Default Ww

I've always gone the WW route for weight loss...of course here I am starting again, but the program does work. I also found in the early days that my loses were slight and so I'd comfort myself by falling off the wagon. I typically eat far too much leading up to the start of getting back on track and I've no doubt its the food I've eaten in the previous weeks that have caught up with me in my first 2 weigh in's. So hang in there - you WILL see results. Don't forget half a pound is half a pound of butter...not bad at all!
oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #6  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Default ...

Are you keeping an eye on portions maybe? Eating healthy or not, messing up those serving sizes can be a pain in the butt.

You two can do this!
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #7  

I also experienced a small loss on my first weigh in after starting back.

Just a thought....you said you've been eating the 0 point soups. Are those the ones you make yourself or the Progresso ones? If they're the progresso ones they're probably full of sodium which could make you retain water.

Also, if you don't have a food scale invest in one. You can get a nice digital scale at walmart for about $20. I recommend digital, as I have had both types and the digital is much easier to read. Mine switches between grams and ounces also. I've been weighing out my cereal, cheese, meats, etc and putting them in zip lock baggies with the points listed on the baggie.
nicolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I lost 0 weight in the first week. I was so discouraged, and almost quit... But, I kept it up and this last week I lost 4.5 pounds! I think my body must have been in shock that first week..

Don't give up! Give it time.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #9  

Thanks for the tips. I also portion everything off in zip lock baggies.

I do keep a very close eye on portion control. I even take less that a serving sometimes and count the points. Not sure if this has an eefect. For example I found a really good cereal with 13grams of protein per serving. I don't eat pork and really don't like eggs so it's been tough finding protein. The serving size on the label is 1 nad 1/4 cups. I usually just eat the 1 cup... and take all teh points for it....

This is a n example of what I ate the first few days

Day 1
B-2 eggs, 1 package oatmeal, 2tbsp ketchup and 1 tbsp skim milk in tea
S-1 yogurt with 3/4 cup granola and 7 almonds
L- saalad with tomatoe, green pepper, cucumber 1 ounce cheese and 2 tbsp fat free italian dressing
S-1 apple, 1 yogurt
D-1 cup apsta with 2tbsp pesto, 1 chicken breast, with peppers
26 points (daily allowance) + 5 flex

Day 2
B-2 pieces WW bread with sugar free jam, 2 packs oatmeal with 1 tbsp cream in tea
S-1/2 bag popcorn, 1 apple
L-1 cup soup (ww homemade), 1 salad with FF dresing
S-baby carrots, 1 yogurt
D-1 serving salmon, 1/2 cup white rice, 1 cup squash
S-half bag popcorn, 1 sugar free pudding
26 pts

Day 3
B-1 egg with 2 egg whites, 2 pieces ww bread with 1tbsp sugar free jam, 2 tbsp ketchup, egg cooked in olive oil
S-1 yogurt, 1 apple
L-WW soup (homemade), 3 rye crakcers with 2 tbsp Hummus
S-cucumber, carrots, 16 rice cakes (mini)
D-Salead with 1 chicken breast, 2 tbsp FF dressing
S- Turkey Pepperoni
26 pts

This is an example of what I have been eating. There is no 'junk' in there. I have tried to eat protein at every meal, I eat every few hours so I am not starving and crash, I don't eat after 8pm.... I thought I would have lost lots !

The only soup I eat is the home made weight watchers soup....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I think your menu looks great! Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll show a bigger loss in the second week. Your body is adjusting to this new diet.
How much weight do you have to lose? If it isn't a significant amount then the process will take longer.

One thing to remember is that you DID lose .5 your 1st week. That is better than nothing and certainly better than gaining. Don't get discouraged, you can do this!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #11  

thanks. I have about 100 lbs to loose. 80 is probably more likely but 100 would be just fine
Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes it's just the reality of weight loss. I can't pull big weight loss numbers anymore. My body just won't do it. The less I eat, the more exhausted I feel, the lower my body temperature drops, and the harder it is to stay awake (let alone exercise).

Also, when I was on Weight Watcher's, I had to be very careful with the zero point soups. Whether you make it yourself or used premade varieties, zero is never completely zero. The calories do eventually add up to a point that it can stall weight loss. Veggies aren't assigned zero points because they don't count, but because making them unlimited encourages people to eat them, and usually they're hard to overdo (except for some people, and for me I could easily overdo the zero point soups).

Also, there's a fair amount of sodium in the zero point soups (you can control sodium level somewhat in homemade versions, but if you're prone to water retention, even the homemade versions may have enough salt to cause some temporary water retention).

I noticed that I never lost (or lost tiny amounts) during weeks in which I ate the zero point soups frequently or too close to the weigh-in. I could tell it was water retention by the fit of my rings) - especially since there'd be a big loss the following week (when I would avoid the soup and drink extra water to compensate for the water retention).

It's the long-run that matters, not any individual week, and you'll be tweaking your plan (even if you're following a structured plan, like Weight Watcher's) to fit your needs. You'll find that there are some foods, even though they're allowed, that you'll still want to avoid, or limit, or schedule away from weigh-ins, because of the effects on water retention and other normal weight fluctuations.

Remember that if you hang in there, can get to your goal weight, even half a pound at a time. However, even if you lose huge numbers every week, you won't make it to goal if you give up when the results aren't what you'd hoped for (because small weight losses and even small gains are inevitable).

Also, just because "most people" (I'm not even sure this is true, it's just what we've all heard) lose most of their weight earlier in their journey, doesn't mean it's true for everyone. I think some of us are like snowballs (in reverse), we gather momentum and do better and better as we go along and learn more about our bodies and how they work best.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-11-2010 at 03:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #13  

well said. I really can't tell if I am 'retaining' water. I have never paid much attention... I am just learning that even though I generally hate protein I need it in order to not feel like I am starving to death.

As for the weight watchers soup, I make homemade so I do not add any additional sodium. I understand some veggies have their own natural sodium levels. I buy the low sodium broth to make it with as well, so I cut down wherever possible. It just feels discouraging and hopeless. I know I will get there but I definitely feel hungry alot and have no energy as mentioned in your post. arghh damn all those naturally skinny minnies