Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 12:00 PM   #1  

Default exercise question

I was just wondering what kind and how often everyone is exercising?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:41 PM   #2  
I wish I was a catfish

Hello Saggy,

I usually do some sort of exercise everyday. Sometimes I take Monday and/or Friday off, but I usually do something everyday. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week where I do 40 minutes on an elliptical machine and I lift weights (mostly working upper body). On days I don't go to the gym I walk 2-3 miles. I've also started jogging a little bit and I hope to be able to jog for longer distances soon (now I alternate walking/jogging around a walking path near my apartment). I also ride my bike and I go hiking on the weekends.

Oh, I almost forgot, I just joined a softball team. I'm not that good and I haven't played since highschool so I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I figured the practices would be good exercise at the very least. Plus I'd like to meet some different people besides the ones I go to schoool with and work with.

Last edited by cfblues; 07-31-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:25 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Good question:

I go to the gym five or six days a week. I usually do cardio - elliptical, step, row or run/jog for 30-45 minutes and a enjoy a long hot shower that I don't have to clean!

Other than that, I have two slow 20-30 minute gambols with my dog and DP a day and lots of weight bearing gardening .

I use foil stars to mark my work calendar with my workouts. I like to see my stars as they fill up the month.

good luck.

lala
Old 08-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #4  

I go to the gym twice a week. I usually do between 20 and 40 minutes on the elliptical machine then about 30 minutes of weights. On 4 days a week, usually Tuesday, Thurs, Sat. and Sunday, I run. I'm training for a marathon which is in 6 weeks. So, some of those days I run ALOT. LOL Which brings me to another question about points for activity. On my longest run, I am doing 20-22 miles which has me running between 3 and 3 1/2 hours. Does that mean I have 20 exercise points? I would never use that many extra, but feel that with that amount of exercise, my body does need more fuel in order to feel good. Any thoughts?

Ann
Old 08-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #5  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I go the gym about 5 to 6 times a week. I'm up to 35 minutes of cardio (rotating each time between treadmill and bike). Then I do my lower body or upper body (rotating on each visit).
Old 08-03-2002, 10:37 AM   #6  

Jalepeno Ann, I would think that you should eat more on the days you run for 3 hours. And congrats on being able to run so far. I would love to do that, even just a mile, but I don't have the endurance yet.
Sonya
Old 08-05-2002, 12:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Right now I am doing an hour of The FIRM three days a week. Since I am still a beginner I don't use any weights but I will gradually work my way up to it eventually. Right now I'm just lucky to get through an hour without passing out!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:13 AM   #8  

Height: 6'0"

I exercise 6 days a week. I always take that one day off.
I usually walk a couple miles and then work out on my Total Gym for strength training. It really doesn't take much time.

I know it helps me keep my weight down.

186/164/170
Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

That's alot of exercise Domina! No wonder you've lost so much weight! Great job!
Old 08-05-2002, 02:37 PM   #10  

Wow I cant yet imagine stationary bike or running for as long as you guys do!I Nordic ski machine every second day for 14 minutes and that is work for me. I also live on a cresent on a hill so plenty of mountain biking up hills here .I try to do that once or twice a week for bout 20 minutes.Then I lift weights and do stretches..<trying to get that under arm flab gone.Any hints?>
Plus I walk 3 times a week with my kids around the trails. one son is a cross country runner so he loves the walks and all my boys except my oldest son , a teen ager manage to keep up with my brisk pace. Does one burn as many calories spreading around the exercise or should I be putting more of it together at once.What does everyone think?
Old 08-09-2002, 03:38 PM   #11  

well considering I have really bad asthma.. I had to come up with some exercise routines that wouldn't cause me to have trouble breathing..

I made out three exercise plans.. I, II, III

I - touch focusing on major muscles (20 minutes)
II - focusing on all major muscles / a bit harder (45 minutes)
III - ALL body parts/muscles/ is hardest due to intensity (90 minutes)

I do exercise I in the mornings after my five month old gets breakfast and in the evenings I rotate exercise II & III for different days of the week. I do only exercise I on weekends.

I walk three days a week for 25 minute intervals because I have to limit it because of my breathing.

I also bike every Saturday about 40-60km with my husband. The biking is between leisure and light. Any faster and hubby would have to bike me to the ER

I turn on music at least once a day and dance around for 10 consecutive minutes while holding my daughter. Figured I could integrate child care in with fitness.

I also have an abroller that I use once a day. I use that until fatigued.

With all the exercise, it looks like I would be more muscle, but really I'm not. I have to integrate so many routines in my daily schedule because: 1. I can't do high intensity aerobics, etc do to asthma .. 2. I have had three c-sections and need the extra abdominal workouts.

Don't get me wrong. There are times when I go 2-3 days without exercising, but then I pick it back up and stay in the straight and narrow for a couple weeks. We all need a break and I do take mine (a little too much sometimes)
Old 08-11-2002, 01:24 AM   #12  
Domestic Goddess

Talking Make it Fun!

I have found that doing exercise for the sake of it or because it's good for me just doesn't cut it. I have to do stuff I enjoy that has the side effect of being exercise as well.

I play tennis three times a week for about 2 1/2 hours each time (doubles, less running!). I also go to the gym to do tae bo, step classes or latin fever ( and yes that is as big a laugh as it sounds) twice a week. I try to fit in a yoga class about twice a month as it is lovely and centering, and of course I have three little ones who keep me running all over the place !

I have accepted I am never going to be one of those success stories who say 'I just love tofu stir fries and I run marathons every weekend now' - its just not something I can force myself to do long term. How I exercise now I can keep going, and loving the gossip at tennis I might add, for as long as I can keep breathing.

Take care all, move it to lose it!

Crustygirl
Old 08-14-2002, 10:29 PM   #13  

Default Sweat and be happy

I'm not as diligent as I used to be, but still achieve an exercise rate of at least 45-60 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week, plus weight sessions at least twice a week. From all I've read, this is the MINIMUM required for a healthy lifestyle.

My cardio workouts come in the form of walking, running, tennis or cycling. I agree - find what you like and stick with it.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:39 PM   #14  

My exercise is a little different from most people. I ride horses four to five times a week for about an hour each time. I rake aisles, lift hay bales and 50 pound grain bags, and clean stalls. I am also training a 2 year old that right now I have on a lounge line and my 13 year old twins take turns riding her for me, so I jog beside them while they are trotting her and teaching her how to turn, stop and listen to them. It is much easier for me to exercise by doing the things I love to do. I used to do step aerobics which I thoroughly enjoyed, but ran out of time to do.

Horsecrazy
Closed Thread