Old 04-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #16  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I've done both and although I don't lose weight as fast on WW as SB, I feel much better and it feels like something I can do for the rest of my life. I still adhere to some SB principles - olive oil over butter, avoiding trans fat, HFCS, etc. - because they are just healthy ideas in general. But I didn't like eating that much meat and vegetables. I really love fruit. And on WW, I can have it. It might be a 2 point banana rather than a 0 point bell pepper, but I can work it into my points allowance.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Stacy, I've been on SB and WW both and after a long period of giving up trying to do anything about my weight at all and gaining a lot of weight (some of it due to medical issues) I decided to take control of my life again and rejoined WW 7 weeks ago. This is what is working for me so far:

I start my day planning what dinner is going to be, and working out the number of points. This lets me take into account what's in the fridge, if I skipped going to the grocery store and supplies are low, etc. If I know I'm going to be making spaghetti, which is high in points, I'll try to choose lower-point foods for breakfast and lunch.

I'm also trying to concentrate on healthier choices. I may have enough points allowance for french fries but I'll choose a baked potato instead because I have no gall bladder and grease does a number on my intestinal tract. A nice fruit salad is better for me than a couple cookies so I try to choose that instead. An easier choice to make, btw, because I put all the cookies on the highest shelf in the pantry, out of eyesight, where I have to use a stepstool to get them down. I've cut WAY down on diet soda -- water is free! And water is better for my complexion, too.

Another change in WW from years ago is that they are now encouraging us to exercise. You earn activity points when you exercise for a certain amt. of time, which basically means that, if you choose, you can eat more. Members who are at goal tell me it's a big help when their points allowance gets low. The 35 weekly points allowance can be a big help too; I've only used a few points so far when I went out for a family celebration but I'm sure I'll use it all the next time I go on a cruise, or during the holidays.

Good luck! You'll get lots of support here.

Donna D., Hemet, CA
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5''

thank you lady in red, that was very helpful. im still going to stick to sb way and do ww points too. that way i'll have the best of both worlds lol... thanks again

stacy xxx
dreaminstacy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #19  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I've done South Beach (unsuccessfully) in the past, and WW this time. SB was challenging for me because I can't have dairy and it was hard to do SB without cheese, at least for me. My biggest downfall with SB, however, was my lack of portion control. WW helped me learn portion control and that's something that I will carry with me into maintenance. I still use a lot of the recipes from my SB cookbooks.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Stacy, another thing I forgot -- I try to always have a big container of soup, chock-full of vegetables, waiting in the fridge. It only takes a minute or two to zap in the microwave and it's a great way to take the edge off my hunger and work in another serving or two of vegies.

Donna D., Hemet, CA
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #21  

well i gotta share this>>>> i love this program! im eating! and... losing weight!! im a slave to the scale, i weigh in a night, then in the morning.... its just what i do. and i journal. like a freak. i even made a graph to see my progress lol.... i havent even been follwoing sb, just eating what i want and countiing the points. im impressed! my first mini goal is only 5 pounds away.... one-derland here i come!! thank you again for all your help. i so so so so appreciate it, and im so greatful for finding this program. talk again soon...

stacy xxx
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #22  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Keep going, gf!!!!!
You'll be just fine!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #23  

thank you kira!! so far so good lol... i know the scales gonna slow down but that okay

stacy xxx
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #24  

I have a question for everyone on this thread I have been on the south beach diet now for three months and have lost thirty lbs but here lately I find myself cheating more because I'm getting bored and was thinking about soon weigh watchers but its so expensive can you do it for free?
Cllease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllease
I have a question for everyone on this thread I have been on the south beach diet now for three months and have lost thirty lbs but here lately I find myself cheating more because I'm getting bored and was thinking about soon weigh watchers but its so expensive can you do it for free?
I do WW for free now. I bought a $2.99 smartphone app that calculates points and my daily points target, allows me to track food and activity and the ww healthy habits, and has a database of foods and point values. The things that I am missing by not joining are accountability and weekly info on following the plan.....i counter that by reading/posting on this board, getting ww info from the web and ww magazine, reading library books on health and nutrition, etc. So I am making it work. I do think it is a good idea to pay for a few months to learn the program though. I know ww is a business, but I do wish it wasn't so expensive so health would be accessible to more people

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #26  

Thanks Strightahead I went ahead and joined so that I could learn. I have been on the sb and lost a good bit but I'm tired of being so restricted on what I eat I'm hoping I can do it with the weight watchers too although I'm having trouble meeting all my points. Is that bad? I just can use them all today
Cllease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 239/198/160

Height: 5'4"

I had great success in SB years ago...I lost 36lbs in about 4 months. I was so serious about it and was almost afraid if carbs for a while...until I wasn't. But the second I started eating carbs agin I gained it all back...plus about 40lbs. Smh. So, this time I'm trying ww and have had success so far, 19lbs since the start of the year. It's a much slower process however it's something I feel like I can stick to because its not so restrictive. I know I can't live my life without carbs!
IamJordanNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #28  
WW Moderator

Maybe the Simply Filling program could be a good replacement for you. It is similar to the foods on SB, and you don't have to count them, but you can still get the weekly points and activity points for the non-power foods.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote