Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203.8/190.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Use my no weigh in pass or not?

So I had a bad couple of days, no excuses why, I just allowed myself to lose my will power I went for a fast paced walk yesterday, not something I normally do on my weekend. But I've been snacking with no regard for WW and I haven't kept track of my points since Tuesday.

I'm just wondering what others would do, would you use your no weigh in pass and start fresh tomorrow or weigh in, see the damage and still start over?

I haven't totally decided, I weigh in on my lunch hour on Mondays so I have time to decide, but I wanted to see what others would do.

After all, tomorrow is another day!!!
Mandylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Personally I look at those no weighs (which my region does not have) as a cop out. I feel it's better to face the scale, see what damage if any you have done (you may find out it wasn't as bad as you thought or even have a good weigh in) and move on.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I recently used a no weigh pass for the first time, and it was because I was coming off of three weeks of no loss/slight gains and TOM showed up, and I mentally knew I couldn't handle seeing the inevitable gain even if it was no fault of my own. I generally do not use the pass though. If I have been off-plan, it is best to own up to it. See the feedback, learn from it, and move forward. Seeing a small gain can be good motivation to get back on track sometimes, too. Better to not be in denial about it.

One thing though - you're right, tomorrow is a new day. However, don't put off til tomorrow what you could accomplish today - get back on it NOW, don't wait til after your weigh-in!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 6

I would weigh in. Feeling that disappointment when the scale goes up would be a great motivator to me to get back at it. Just remember, it's not a few bad days that made you over weight, it's doing it over and over and over. Just get back on track. Good luck!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

I'd definitely weigh in, too! I find that going to the weigh-in/meeting helps me get centered for the week. You may feel bad for a few days, but then you'll probably be very motivated to do better this week!

Good luck
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #6  

I feel that honesty with ourselves is the best policy. I would "face the music" and at least feel good about being honest with yourself.
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

weigh in! ww is a lifestyle change no one is perfect we sometimes have gains whether from poor choices or unknown reasons its ok! just face it and move on! good luck!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203.8/190.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all! I'm weighing in!!
Mandylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the no weigh pass encourages the idea that a gain on the scale is an inherently traumatic and punishing event, and it doesn't have to be that way at all. I very much believe that the scale should be seen as an imperfect, but objective measuring tool, nothing more and nothing less. It isn't a measure of self-worth, or a perfect measure of success. There are reasons you might see a small gain even when you're doing everything right. I firmly believe that getting too upset or even too thrilled by what you see on the scale gives the scale too much power.

Don't get me wrong, I still love seeing a loss and am still disappointed by a gain, but I have stopped letting the scale affect how I see myself or determine how my day is going to go.

I weigh daily. There were times in my life when that would have been too traumatic and self-destructive - but those were days when I let the scale tell me if I was "good" or "bad." I realized that was my problem, not the scales and the scale is just a tool. For me, using the scale daily allowed me to see it as only a tool, because I was able to see and understand natural fluctuations.

There recently was a study that found that women who weigh daily were more likely to be successful in weight loss and maintainance. This goes against common wisdom that weighing "too often" should be avoided because it's too traumatic. I think that weighing daily helped me get over the trauma of seeing fluctiations, because I learned they were normal.

I am admittedly biased by my own experiences, but I do feel that learning to see the scale as a tool, not as a judgement or grade is important. If I eat off plan, sometimes I will weigh myself right away. I'm not sure why, but it helps me feel that I've reset the day (because I step on the scale first thing every morning).

I think what really matters though, isn't what works for me, but what works for you. Can you "handle the truth," or would you get discouraged by seeing a gain?

Do what feels right. Another choice (which I used when I was a member of ww and the scale had more power over me) was to have the weight recorder read and record my weight in my booklet, but with me facing away from the scale. I didn't "peek" until a few days later and had a couple days of eating on plan under my belt.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 362/345/225

I have been tempted to use the no weigh-in but I haven't. It always comes down to this: If I don't weigh in this week, how will I measure what I lose NEXT week? Let's say I gain a couple of pounds. If I don't weigh in, but lose a pound, it will still SEEM like I gained.

Okay maybe that's convoluted but it works for me
jewell0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

Completely agree with jewel.

If you weigh in and find you gained some, and then the next week you weigh in and found you lost some weight (even if it's what you were above before your ut-oh week, you can feel proud that you got back into the healthy swing of things!

I had an ut-oh week last week, too. But I still stepped on the scale on Saturday to see where I was... just so I know where I'm working from.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #12  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

let us know how it works out. you may be in for a surprise!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Yes, definitely let us know! I hope it goes well...sometimes it goes the exact opposite way you think it will. Best of luck!
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Kaplods: I completely agree with you! Especially talking to my MIL whose in maintenance now, she weighs herself daily to make sure she is still staying true to herself...
I tend to weigh myself every couple of days. When I do eat too much, I count my points and weigh myself about 2 days later. I know that next day I'll be up, because that's my body and I also know that about 2 days later, as long as I've stopped overeating, I'll be back where I was and sometimes I'll have lost some LOL..
But I think some people get scared of the scale. The scale can't tell us what part of our weight is water, fat or muscle. When you gain, you don't always know what you've gained. You may just be retaining water that day.
And something I like to mention too is that the journey of weightloss should be enjoyable. I don't look back at my losses and think that it was terrible. I slip up, there's days, sometimes a week, that I let loose. I get back on the wagon and keep going and reflect on how I enjoyed my time with my family and friends and enjoyed some good food.
There is accountability for what we eat, but we shouldn't terrorize ourselves and punish ourselves for it. We are working on changing so many aspects of our lives. Increasing veggies, decreasing fried foods, eating less, exercising. It is hard to keep up sometimes.
Just keep movin' and groovin' ladies and we'll get there one baby step at a time
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote