Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 03:57 PM   #1  

Question WW and Prescriptions Weight-Loss Medications

I've been doing WW for a couple of years now, and have lost about 120 pounds. I've been stalled - party thanks to my place of employment KILLING out WW@Work meetings about 4 months ago - but haven't balooned back up like I thought I might.

Anywho, I have just gotten a new Doctor, again, thanks to my employer switching health plan providers on me (and my old Provider, Kaiser, left Kansas City last year). This new Doctor is very supportive, but he did ask if I had any interest in phentermine as an aid to my existing diet and exercise habits. I said, "huh?" I've never heard of it, and have always been leary of drugs for weight-loss.

I've been doing some reading about phentermine (the brand name he gave me was Adipex-P), and was wondering if any of you had tried this in conjunction with the winning points plan. I'm pretty happy with my weight loss, but it has dropped in average somewhat, and he suggested that taking it might help me get back to the track I was on a year ago. I want to be aggressive about this, as I do have a medical condition (an umbilical hernia repair that failed) that I want to get re-corrected, and can't do that until I drop another hundred pounds or so.

Anyway - any thoughts? Experience with phentermine? I'm especially interested in experiences with the side effects.

Thanks!

RoyalsFan
Old 05-03-2002, 11:23 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Cool hmmmm

Hi Royalsfan. I cannot speak from personal experience but (and correct me if I'm wrong...) but isn't phentermine another form of phen-phen....(fen-fen) and is a banned substance? Try checking out the Mayo clinic website and look under A for Adipex. Please be very careful about this one. I remember reading about lots of adverse conditions .....mostly heart failure and blood pressure problems. Just a word to the wise. Also check out under Diet Scams..... on the board listing here at the 3fc. Be informed. tc
Old 05-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #3  

Fen-phen was a combination of the drugs fenfluramine and phentermine. Fenfluramine was the drug (or at least one of the drugs) that was pulled from the market for its association with heart valve damage. The other half of the cocktail, phentermine, is still available.

Royalsfan, I don't have personal experience with phentermine, but I did want to comment on your terrific weight loss to date and wish you success with the rest. My understanding of phentermine is that it's supposed to be taken as a short-term aid (like for a few weeks), so it's probably not anything you're going to be able to rely on for the next 100 lbs. Any way at all to get to another WW meeting outside of work? It really sounds as if the WW meetings were a very positive thing for you.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:59 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I believe the drug you are asking about is Meridia. There is a thread under support. A woman named Nikolas has been on this for a while and has teamed it up with WW and done very well.

Without scaring Angel-eyes, I am thinking about this for myself. Off to see the Dr. in the am.

-L
Old 05-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #5  

Meridia's generic name is sibutramine. This is a different drug than Phentermine. Phentermine also goes by the name of Fastin.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:00 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey I did adipex-P for a while
just be careful b/c it is very hard on your stomach which is why i had to stop it so if you have a sensitive stomach i wouldnt reccommend it
Old 05-21-2002, 01:19 PM   #7  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

I've used Phentermine and loved it. It does lose it's effectiveness after several weeks but if I were you, I'd try it while you can. You'll feel great with more energy and lower appetite.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:10 PM   #8  

I took phentermine alone for a year and lost over 80 lbs. That WAS during the fen-phen hayday, but ONLY the combination of the two drugs and the dangerousone was what was banned. Phentermine is still on the market and still widely used.

I agree, after a while, it did lose it's "effect" but thinking back, my diet wasn't healthy because I was only taking in 700-800 calories a day. I was exercising my backside off, but not eating very much.

The weight, plus 30 lbs. gradually came back.

WW is a healthy lifestyle, not a drug or diet and can be relied upon for the rest of your life. You can't say that about any drug or quick-fix diet.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #9  

Default Meridia Not Safe

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that not too long ago i read a couple of articles that stated that Meridia has been linked to 58 deaths. This drug hasn't been on the market for very long.

For those of us trying to lose weight there is nothing as healthy as a change in lifestyle. Weight Watchers is the perfect solution as you learn to eat healthy and lose weight.

I hope that this will help.

Bluesky
Closed Thread