Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 10:18 AM   #1  
Whiskey's Mom

Question Giving up beef!?!?!

I am not much of a beef eater anyway but it seems like everytime I eat it I get a stomach ache - anyone else experience this?

I have already completely given up fast food beef - which is great but I occasionally will crave a burger or steak - which to me is really odd because I really don't like it. Is it possible my body is telling me something - like I need iron?

Has anyone else (besides our vegetarian friends) given up beef or any one type of meat?

I guess I am looking for feedback positive or negative on this subject.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:40 AM   #2  
Bono Fanatic!

I also don't eat beef (or chicken or pork) because I don't like it, but still find myself craving the occassional burger. When I eat it, not only do I not feel well, but I can't stop wondering why I ate it when I don't like beef to begin with! But, yes, it is probably your body's way of telling you that you are missing a nutrient that you get from beef. Make sure your diet is high enough in iron and protein and see if the cravings go away. Personally, now that I eat more eggs, I rarely crave any meat.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:34 PM   #3  

Krislee, I don't know if this has any relevance to your situation, but my DH has been allergic to beef for years. (Which is ironic, considering he is a rancher, raising cattle.) He was highly allergic in his twenties, but now can tolerate it occasionally, in small amounts. Is it possible you have a food allergy? Or maybe an allergy to growth hormones or other "stuff" that some cattle are injected with? At some stores, you can get organically-raised beef, no hormones, vitamins, etc.

Or, you can use soy substitutes. We really like Boca burgers, Soyrizo (a soy chorizo) and Soy taco meat.

Hope that helps!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread