Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Started working out & I'm RAVENOUS!

I started regular exercise about a week or so ago. I've been ravenous for the most part ever since. I walk about 45- 1 hour, at almost 4 mph. I also lift weights on alternate days.

I do eat my activity points, but I'm absolutely ravenous! Not just kind of hungry but ( at least today ) going over my points values.

I am doing winning points because it works better for me than flex or core.
I was losing steadily w/ out workig out and figured that by adding activity, I'd put me over a hump, but not when I'm either ravenous, or I force myself to stay w/ in my points range but remain hungry. Sometimes to the point of fealing peaked and weak.

Will this feeling go away? If working out just makes me more apt to eat beyond my activity points and regular points, what good is it doing me?

I enjoy working out, but not what it does to my appetite.
I've heard some people say that working out acts as an appetite suppressor. That only happenned to me one day when I went walking, pushed it too hard and felt sick from it....

not sure what do .
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Do you eat before you workout? After?

Maybe these links will help you:
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Work-O...ur-Workout.htm
http://www.thedietchannel.com/AskThe...hat-to-eat.htm

I've noticed that if I stick to these, I'm not really more hungry than without the exercise.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Same thing happened to me

I have the same problem. In fact, I too was counting points last fall and really working out hard. I lost a lot of inches but the pounds were really coming off slowly. I have found this to be a reoccuring problem for me in the past as well.

Thanks, modkittn , for the links. I am one of the few people who actually enjoys exercising but again I think it is very demanding on our bodies and its need for fuel.

Hope this helps us both!

Last edited by pamatga; 04-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #4  

Thank you for the info.
Generally before I work out, I'll have a small banana. It's when I get back that I'm so hungry. I do try to eat like I normally would,so I don't over eat, but I remain hungry though out the whole day...
I also think part of my problem is I don't eat enough protien. Portable protein sources that I like are hard to come by. Nuts are tasty but it's a lot of points for a little nuts....
Because of my crazy eating this morning, I now feel bad about myself and am feeling rather hopeless... maybe I should just tough it out. Maybe I should just ditch the scale?

I walk a lot, weight lift, and am getting a boxing game for the Wii. I wanted so desperately to be at my goal weight ( 145 ) by July 4, but it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm just having a bad day about all this. Not sure how to deal with it right now.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #5  

I am so glad to hear someone else say ravenous. My stomach is growling all the time. So what kind of protein can I eat to make me feel content?
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #6  

OpticalGodess - How about yogurt for protein in the mornings?

tcstart - I think any type of protein would be fine. Nuts and things like peanut butter, to me at least, have more of an "instant" effect to help me not be hungry anymore.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #7  

My first inclination would be to say that I don't like yogurt. However, that attitude isn't going to help me. Rather, I need to try some different kinds and find one I like. Same w/ finding ways to eat cottage cheese. I like the flavor but don't like the consistency...

I've blown today. Eaten a lot of crap, don't feel good about myself. Another thing I need to lose is this all or nothing approach.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
My first inclination would be to say that I don't like yogurt. However, that attitude isn't going to help me. Rather, I need to try some different kinds and find one I like. Same w/ finding ways to eat cottage cheese. I like the flavor but don't like the consistency...

I've blown today. Eaten a lot of crap, don't feel good about myself. Another thing I need to lose is this all or nothing approach.
Cottage cheese isn't really a good source of calcium. Focus on milk and different types of yogurts and cheese.

As for that attitude, I know how you feel. It took me a long time to get over that as well!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 179/173/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm starving this week. I have no idea why! I'm eating my points, drinking water but I'm just very, very hungry and my stomach is growling. I thought the first few days would be hardest but it is harder now that I'm a few weeks into the program. Just commiserating. I guess we will all have those days where we wish it was easier. Stick with it!
ppturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #10  
For Real This Time!

Height: 5' 4.5"

I know it was suggested to eat protein before your workout. I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge and I eat one before working out. Try that and maybe some of the Special K additives for your water. It is 1 point but it really helps me! Also try getting more protein throughout the day. My grocery store has chicken strips all ready and perfect for throwing in a salad or using them for quesadillas. They're super easy to make. Just heat some spray oil (like Pam) and put the tortilla on for a minute or so, then flip it and put the chicken and some lf cheese and onion and peppers (if you like) and fold it in half and voila! you have a quesadilla! Good protein and low in points!
mamabear272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #11  
Lola is Back!

S/C/G: 226/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4

How about adding more Fiber... after you work out? A fiber one bar or some fruit. Fiber Fills me up!

Lola125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #12  

Thank you to everyone and your useful suggestions. I have found that I like the cottage cheese w/ pineapple things, and I've also being paying more attention to the 8 healthy guidelines that WW gives me. I'm considering the hard boiled eggs. I don't like the yoke but I don't have to eat it, either.... One thing that does frustrate me is my own impatience. I've been working out regularly for about 1 week. I walk between 3-4 miles a day. I also lift weights for about half an hour every other day and play my wii boxing game. Aside from the day I wrote that original post, I've been on plan, eating my activity points if I'm still hungry but not forcing myself to.
However, the scale won't budge. I was down to 152, and now I'm up to 155. I wanted to get to 150 by July 4 but not at this rate. I wonder if it's just my body adjusting to being more active? I haven't been working out enough to for it to be muscle rather than fat. I know i'm smaller. My clothes fit differently and I look different naked. I can feel my hip bones and collar bones.. maybe I'm just too hung up on the number. I do think that working out is good for me, and I've come to find it very meditative as well... so after all this rambling, I think I'm just impatient. If I stay active, stay in my points allotment and eat clean/well, my body will catch up with itself weight wise. Now i just need to get my head in the right place.
Also, those fiber one bars are freakin' awesome. I tend to get the 2 packs because I was having problems over eating them...