Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:08 PM   #1  
si, si signora

Default consignment shops?

In a pique of spring cleaning, I have decided to part with some of my clothing. I have given away a goodly amount to a shelter that could really use the staples, but now I have a small collection of dress slacks, blazers and some nice dresses that may or not fit, but definitely are taking up alot of room in my closet.

Has anyone had luck with selling their clothing?
Old 02-19-2002, 05:51 PM   #2  

i haven't sold my clothing, mainly cuz i'm too lazy and the hours for the consignment shop are somewhat odd. they only take things on a certain day, for instance (when i'm in school). plus, they can be very picky about styles they take, and fabrics, and whatever.
i think i ended giving all my extra stuff to either friends as hand me downs or to the thrift store.

something else you might want to consider doing is hosting a 'naked lady' party. you get a bunch of friends together with their old clothes, serve snacks, and everyone works on selling the group on a piece of clothing. ie: this was my lucky cashmere sweater that got the attention of the guy at work. unfortunately, it now clashes with my newly red hair. who wants it?

if several people want it, they all try it on and the group votes on who it looks better on. this way, everyone gets some 'new' stuff for free, and the leftovers that no one wants can go to a thrift store or whatever.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:00 PM   #3  

Hey there... I have not tried selling my old clothes,but have instead been giving them to the thrift shops to sell. I did hear about a city (and for the life of me I can't remember which one) that had an organization set up to help women return to/enter the workforce. I.e. women who'd always been at home, women who had turned their lives around and were looking for jobs, etc... Anyway, this organization accepted good quality 'business clothes' that these women could choose from in order to look appropriate when they went on interviews, started working, etc... I haven't been able to find an organization like that where I live, but it sounded like a really good cause... maybe there's something like that in your area and they could benefit from your successes?

Christine
Old 02-20-2002, 09:50 AM   #4  

Christine, one of those organizations is Dress for Success, which has chapters all around the country. Their URL is http://www.dressforsuccess.org/
hth!
Jan
Old 02-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #5  

Thanks for that website! That's exactly what I was looking for... only wish I'd had it sooner because I had a ton of stuff to give them. Oh well, now I'll know for the next time I go through my closet!

Christine
Old 02-21-2002, 09:56 PM   #6  

Hi lala. I have had good success selling my clothes at a consignment shop. I donated some to a local women's shelter as well. All of my work clothes, suits etc. I took to a consignment place because, to be very honest, I needed the money to buy new work clothes.

As many of you know it is really fun and exciting to lose weight and buy 'thinner' clothes but there is a huge cost attached to replacing an entire wardrobe. It has actually caused stress at times, but it's stress I've learned to handle. I'd rather have to replace my wardrobe with smaller clothes rather than larger ones.

Best of luck......

Kena
Old 02-21-2002, 10:35 PM   #7  

Another Idea - Give to a women's shelter - Alot of battered women leave their homes in a hurry & there scared for there life & there children's life, that they just don't think about grabbing there cloths.
Most are non profit & it's a tax write off!, Plus you helping your fellow women out.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #8  

Default consignment

My experience with putting clothes on consignment is that it is a lot of work, can cost some upfront money if you have to "dryclean" them and often has little return. With the nice clothes, you have you may want to donate them to organizations that help women that need help getting back to work. It's a tax write-off and really helps women that don't have the money to buy clothes for a job interview.

Michelle
Closed Thread