Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Week of 11/5/07

Good afternoon Lifers, soon-to-be Lifers, and anyone else lurking! Please feel free to jump in and join us!

Well it's official ladies--I'm no longer a member of the national executive board and I have to say I feel good about it. I served as the national secretary for 10 years so a break is going to be good! We were able to get to downtown Chicago on Friday and we did a lot of walking! I didn't do much shopping other than finding a sweater set that I had been looking for at Lands' End and was able to get it at Sears. In any case the weather cooperated--it was sunny and cool. We got back to home turf last evening at 10 pm so I'm dragging today.

Last week was pretty crazy--I went for my consult for the stereotactic biopsy and I have that scheduled for this Thursday afternoon. That same morning I have my pre-op with my doctor for my surgery next week. Lots to do in the meantime!

Weather here is pretty crazy--it was sunny when I came into work this morning now it's shifting between rain and some sleet. *whisper* snow is in the forecast!

Pam: I hope your DH has a speedy recovery and that you're doing okay through all this. Any type of surgery is scary and it sounds like your DH did well with his. Please keep us posted when you get a chance. We'll keep him in our prayers for a speedy recovery! Take care of yourself as well!

Lisa: Did you survive the weekend? You had quite a bit going on as well.

Lori: Are you feeling better? How's the PT going?

Susan: I've been working on getting outside and walking more although that's going to slow down next week. My plan is that I'll walk as long as I feel good enough to.

I just wanted to get our thread up and running for the week--hope everyone is doing well!!
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

I had a pretty good weekend, but yes it was busy. I was at a work seminar all day Friday. On Saturday, I had a wedding to coordinate and then was in a dinner show. It was fun and the director said he wants me back. On Sunday, I took a wonderful walk on the beach. Our weather is great right now. I was able to turn off the air conditioner. We have low humidity and highs in the 70's. DH and I are headed to Savannah for a little getaway on Thursday. I'm really looking forward to it as I've heard that Savannah is a great city.

Melissa, glad you are no longer the secretary! Wow!! 10 years is a long time and I'm surprised that your group's bylaws allowed that. Snow?? I guess it is time for that.

Lori, how is the PT going? Did you finally get your blood work done?

Pam, keep up posted on DH's progress.

Hi to Susan.
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #3  

Hi Ladies,

DH and I are back home and very happy to be here! He is doing great and his recovery is going better than expected. He is up and about and has very little discomfort considering everything he went through last week. Thanks for thinking about us!

Melissa After 10 years as the secretary you deserve a break! Yes, it sounds like you have a lot going on this week and next. I'm sure you will be relieved to have the surgery behind you, the anticipation can be very stressful. Our weather today is rainy and cold, no snow in the forecast yet but I'm sure it won't be too far away. I really hate that the days are so short now.

Lisa Savannah is a place I've wanted to visit for a long time so I can't wait to get an update from you on your getaway. I hope you and your DH have a great time. I think you asked what symptoms DH was getting before his tumor diagnosis. He had lost his sense of smell and was getting very bad headaches that were not going away. His doctor scheduled him for a cat scan immediately and the diagnosis was made right after the scan on Oct 17th. Since the tumor was so large that wanted to operate as soon as possible and his surgery was on the 30th. A very scary time but as I said he is doing very well.

Well ladies I should get going. I'll talk to you again soon.
McHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #4  

Pam, Indeed a very scary time for you and your DH. How wonderful that he is progressing so well. I will let you know about Savannah. I'm so looking forward to it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #5  

Good morning!

We got hit with a lake effect snow storm yesterday--some of the areas had 11" of snow!!! We were lucky along the lake shore we had about 4". Yesterday was a real mess with driving, etc. There were a lot of power outages because the heavy snow brought down power lines and tree limbs. This morning is better--windy and some snow mixed in but not as bad as yesterday thankfully. Most of the snow downtown is gone--there's just a little white here and there. The forecast for the rest of the week is promising with temps moving up into the 50's by next week!

Pam: I have to agree that the anticipation of the surgery is stressful--tomorrow I have the stereotactic biopsy scheduled and even though I know it's not serious (the calcification) the procedure itself is what I'm unsure about. I also meet with my doctor for my pre-op for next week. I don't like the short days either--it's so hard to stay motivated! I'm so glad that your DH is doing well--you have to be relieved! Will he have to have follow ups?

Lisa: I'd love to go to Savannah. DH has been there with rugby and he said I'd love it, especially when the flowers are in bloom. That may be my next big vacation!

I'm heading to my meeting at noon today and am hoping for a loss. I did pretty well while I was in Chicago and did a lot of walking but didn't get the water in that I normally do so it's anybody's guess as to what the scale will reflect! I'll post after the meeting.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Good morning ladies Sorry I haven't been around lately. Work's been keeping me busy, plus to be honest I wasn't doing horribly with my eating and was pretty down about it. When that happens I tend to stop posting for a bit. But yesterday enough was enough. I forced myself to have an on-program day, and I'm glad I did. I feel so much better today. I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but today is the first day in two weeks that I haven't felt exhausted. I know most of it is that I'm just getting through one of those periods I have with my medication, but I also think some of it is due to my healthy eating yesterday and getting in all my water, etc.

Weekend was good, had a friend visit and did some clothes shopping, although I ended up only buying a coat and a sweater. Surprisingly, and maybe the first time ever, DH bought way more than I did

Melissa - Oooh snow! Its way too early for that here Chicago is a GREAT city. I was there this summer. Did you get a chance to visit the Shedd Aquarium?

Pam - I'm very happy to hear that DH got through the surgery OK and is starting to recover. I'm sure it was an extremely stressful time, and trust me I know how it feels! If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

Lisa - Wow that was a busy weekend. And I thought I was busy How long have been coordinating weddings at the church for?
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #7  

After work, I need to pack. DH is all done. I'm fretting (do that when I pack) because it's cooler in Savannah than here (40's at night). I tend to be cold-natured, so I'm thinking I'll need gloves even!

Melissa, Yikes, snow! That was a lot, too. It's hard to think about snow down here in Florida. We are having very, very pleasant temps. Lovely sunshiney days. Have you had that test before, Melissa? I don't know anything about it. What is the date of your surgery? Good luck at WI today.

Lori, You are so right that I feel so much better when I eat correctly and get my water in. Amazing, isn't it?? DH bought more than you? That IS funny. I tease my husband some times because we'll go outlet shopping (which I love) and we'll find more for him. We start out the day with him saying: "I don't really need anything." He has gotten into biking now ever since his knee surgery. There is no half-way for him! So, now he needs the special bike shorts, etc. etc. I just smile. When he started running 25 years ago, he told me he just needed his tennis shoes. Of course, now he has special shorts, tops, 20 pairs of shoes (including racing flats), special gels he eats, special drinks, special sunglasses, his fancy watch, memberships in running clubs, race entries. LOL
Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #8  

Lori, I forgot to answer your question. I've been doing the wedding coordinating for 3 years. I've always liked weddings, but I must admit that lately I've had some difficulty. I'm sure you've heard of Bridezillas? Some of these brides are just not very nice. The one this past weekend, I had trouble with the mother of the bride and the groom.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #9  

Lisa - Thats OK I forgot to answer your questions! PT is going good, and my hip is starting to feel better. Its a process, though. Now my back is starting to hurt a little bit more. But they told me it would. First fix the hip, then the back. I did get my blood drawn for that test and had it sent to Portland, but don't have the results yet. I probably won't for another week or so. Yep, I've heard of Bridezillas. I don't understand that at all. I got married in my parents' back yard and we had a big BBQ. I wore a $50 dress from Sears. I just don't understand spending all that money for one day when you could be putting it towards something like buying a house or paying off your college debt!

Last edited by modkittn; 11-07-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #10  

Hi! I went to my meeting at noon and was down .6; I was a little disappointed with that because I did so much walking and did well with eating/snacking. *sigh* I was hoping for a good loss before my surgery. If I get a chance next week (Tuesday) I'll go for a meeting and get weighed in but we'll have to see if that works or not.

Lori: For all the times I've been to Chicago I've not been to Shedd's Aquarium. I've heard it's really nice. I hope they get you feeling better--I have heard that when one part of the body is out of whack it can affect other parts. Hopefully you'll be back to your normal self in a short while. Most of the snow has melted downtown; I'm sure the outlying areas still have it.

Lisa: This is the first time for the biopsy--I'm nervous about the actual test, not the results because they are 99% certain that it's nothing and this is just to confirm that. My surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday at 9:30 am. I meet with the dr. tomorrow to go over everything.

It's dreary here this afternoon and I'm trying hard to stay awake! I have a nice batch of homemade chili in the crockpot waiting for me when I get home.

Have a good evening!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #11  

Well my day yesterday consisted of me running around trying to get a brief finished at work. Its still not finished because I need to incorporate feedback from someone I haven't heard back from yet!

I'm actually going Christmas shopping on Saturday. Early, I know, but a lot of places have sales this weekend comparable to those on Black Friday (which I will also be shopping on). But I'm going to drive up to MA and go to NH with my mom to go shopping (no sales tax!) so it should be fun.

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? DH and I are going to his parents' for dinner (SIL and her family will be there too) and then we are going to my parents' for dessert. They both live 1 1/2 hours from us, but they are only 10 minutes from each other! I get to bring some things for dinner and dessert, so I am making all WW friendly dishes. DH's parents are WWers and my parents are watching their weight, so I never have problems when I go to either house as far as food. Its just portion control that is the issue with dessert!

Melissa - I really regret not making it to the Field Museum or the Museum of Science and Industry when I was in Chicago. But I plan on going back sometime in the future (DH and I have a friend there) so we'll visit them then! How did your meeting with the doc go?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #12  

Hi Ladies,

A dreary November day here. I really dislike this time of year, but am looking forward to Thanksgiving which we'll be spending with my sister and her family. DH is feeling much better. We'll be going to Boston tomorrow to meet with his doctors. Hopefully they will also agree that his recovery is on schedule.

Melissa good luck today with your biopsy. I'll be thinking of you.

Lisa Have a great time in Savannah!

Lori Have a great time Christmas shopping this weekend. Getting it done while there's a good sale going on is the way to go and getting it done early is a double bonus.

Well ladies I may not be back on until Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #13  

Just a quick note to say hi to everyone. I have a conference call in a few moments.

Survived post-tropical storm Noel without much damage. Some of the roof shingles blew off which was little wonder given the wind and rain we received. We had a power outage but it only lasted eight hours, so not too much inconvenience.

The other big news is that I joined a WW At Work program this week. I needed to do something to get myself motivated, and actually paying the money may be that something. Weigh in was difficult in that I've gained 8 lbs since the summer. However I already feel better; the leader is one of the best. His approach is very down to earth; he's all about "what you put in will dictate when you get out of the program" and that's exactly what I need right now.

I will be out of town tomorrow on business but hope to be able to check in with you all next week.

Have a great weekend.

Susan
Seasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #14  

Good morning!

This year for Thanksgiving we were invited to my son's in-law's for dinner. I thought it was really nice of them to extend the invitation and so we are planning on going. I did tell DS that I may not be able to stay all that long since it will only be a week after my surgery so I may be tired. Her mother is really nice and I'm sure understands.

Susan: Good for you for joining at At Work session--they are really big around here--they're crying for leaders to facilitate the sessions. I really believe that the weekly meetings and WI's are what help to keep me grounded. I'm glad the post-tropical storm didn't wreak too much havoc with your area.

Pam: I'm not a big fan of this time of year either--we were lucky yesterday because the sun came out and I was able to get out for a nice long walk over the lunch hour. It was great stress relief! I don't like getting up in the dark and getting home in the dark--it really affects me.

Well I had both of my appointments yesterday--my pre-op went well and the doctor answered the questions I had and was very informative about what to expect (incisions, etc.) so that was good. I feel very comfortable with her and knowing that the surgery is only 45 minutes is even better! I'm scheduled for 9:30 am so I should be in my room by noon

The biopsy appointment went well--I have to admit I was extremely nervous about it because I had no idea what to expect. We have a great breast health center and they have breast health navigators who support patients and educate. My navigator was with me during the entire procedure and I have to say it was very calming. The procedure itself was about an hour--they did give me valium and darvocet so I was pretty happy when I left. This morning I had a bit of a realization of what all went on and I got a little dizzy/nauseous in the shower and had to sit down. The doctor was great and said that we'd have the results in a couple of days. I do have to go for follow ups to watch another area but it's not anything major at this point. It just seems like when it rains it pours.

I have a pretty busy weekend lined up--tonight I'm working at WW then I'm heading to DS #2's football game (playoffs); tomorrow is errands, laundry, etc.; and finally Sunday I'm off to our big WW meeting. The best part about the WW meeting is that we're going by bus so that means no driving!

It's pretty dreary out this morning--overcast and it's trying to rain. I'm hoping it doesn't for the game tonight! So does everyone else have weekend plans?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #15  

Hi Melissa,

Glad your appointments yesterday went well. Good news that your surgery will not take very long. I remember one of DH's doctors saying the longer the surgery the more issues you could have with anesthesia after.
That was nice of your son and his wife to invite the family over for their first Thanksgiving! What an exciting time for them just starting out. Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned. Not too much going on for us. Lots of family coming by to visit with DH and I may try and get to the gym this weekend for quick workout. I was doing so well I'd like to try and keep it going as much as I can. I also lost 6 pounds over the past 2 weeks which I can hopefully keep off although the stressfull way I lost the weight is not recommendable .
Enjoy the game tonight!