Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #1  
Hopeful Mommy

S/C/G: 234/204/140

Height: 5'6"

Default 0 pt soup bad for me

i bought a couple of cans of the progresso 0 pt soup. i found out the hard way that i should never have them for meals. Monday i didn't eat breakfast (never do, that's a habit i need to stop). i had a can of progresso for lunch (counted it as 1 point since i ate the whole thing. Then i had a 2 pt snack in the afternoon. This left me with 23 points to eat for dinner! There was no way i could do that without completely stuffing my face! So i ended up only eating 18 points on Monday.

Tuesday, i ate breakfast (2 pts). i had another can of progresso for lunch (1 pt). My snack was apple slices for 1 pt. Again, i was left with 22 pts for dinner. i made lasagna for dinner so i managed to eat most of them, but i still struggled to get my points.

Moral of the story: The Progresso soups are great for a snack, but not for meals. It's way too difficult to get all your points eaten for the day.

Thought i'd share.

christine
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/190/145

However, they are really good for dinner when your friend picks chinese as the spot to go for her bridal shower lunch!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Try having half the can of soup (for 0 points) before a normal meal that may be a higher-point meal. It will help you feel more full, and not want to go get seconds
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #4  
vanity0326

S/C/G: 257/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Progesso Soups and Salt

How did they taste?

Did you find them to be too salty? I looked at the sodium content and I can't decide whether to incorporate them into my meals due to the salt.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

You may want to double check with your points slider, but I believe the Progresso soups are 2 points if you eat the whole can. That extra point isn't enough to help you too much if you're having trouble getting all the points in for the day, but if it's a day where you're already close to the wire, you want to be sure you're counting it correctly! Good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #6  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 245/230.8/135

Height: 5'4"

I think she's talking about the new 0 pt progresso soups that came out recently. =) They are different than the regular ones and offer 60 cal / serving.

C.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #7  
Kelly M

Hmmm, unless I'm reading my slider wrong (and that has been known to happen, LOL!) this is what I see:

Progresso Light Homestyle Vegetable and Rice Soup...WW 0 points value per serving (shown on the front of the label)

nutrition label:
Calories 60 (per serving, 2 servings per can)
Total Fat 0g
Dietary Fiber 4g

So, on my slider 2 servings would be 120 calories, 0g fat, and 4g fiber as we're not supposed to count anything more than 4g's of fiber. Based on that, the slider shows 2 points.

To double check myself I also entered the info into my WW electronic points calculator and still came up with 2 points. Have they maybe changed the way you count fiber and I just missed it during the meeting? Let me know!

Last edited by boaterswife; 09-20-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #8  
Hopeful Mommy

S/C/G: 234/204/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Too much

There's no way i could eat half the can before a meal. That's just too much. i found the soup very filling and couldn't actually eat the whole thing (finished about 3/4 of the can). i can't imagine eating a whole meal after that.

i didn't find them too salty. i was afraid it'd be bland, but it was actually really good. However, because i had a hard getting my points in, i might switch to the regular soup.

christine
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #9  
Secret Agent

S/C/G: 222.2/221/150

Where you guys getting this WW food at? Thre only storre i have here is Albertsons and havent seen it. Its 30 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #10  
Kelly M

I found the soup at Schnucks Supermarket....not sure if you have those where you live. It's a chain of larger sized grocery stores. They are a little pricy for me, too. I found them on sale 3/$4, so I tried them, but normally they're like $2.69 a can....more than I'm willing to drop for a can of soup. Just my opinion, though!

Last edited by boaterswife; 09-20-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #11  

Height: 5'2"

I ALWAYS get confused with fiber, lol. These soups, as one serving (1/2 the can) are zero points (or .4 points if you're picky, like me) But, if you follow the fiber rule, like boaterswife said, it IS 2 points (or 1.6 to be exact).

Like I said though, I get so confused with fiber.

For example--If I'm eating a turkey sandwhich, do I count each ingredient individually? Or do I total the ingredients and then determine the points? I'm not sure if I'm asking this right, but if I have lots of veggies on the sandwhich, I may get 4 points of fiber from them, along with 4 points of fiber from the bread. So, if I count the ingredients individually, I get to subtract .8 from EACH of those. However, if I total them, I only get to subtract .8 from fiber once. HELP!!

Trish
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #12  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

I personally find it easier to figure the points individually and then total them.

For example, the ham and cheese sandwich I make comes to 5 points because:

bread (2 slices)=2 points
ham (6 slices)=1 point
cheese (1 slice)=1 point
ff mayo=1 point

All the vegetables I put on are 0 (lettuce, onion, green pepper, pickle)

I just find it easiest to do it that way, but it's up to you
Old 09-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Please review your 8 Heathy Guidelines. Even with the 0 point soup (the whole can) it is not hard to get in your points if you follow the 8 HG.

Between the dairy and oil that is 6-8 points (8-10 if over 50 y/o, 250 pounds or a nursing mother) out of your day right there. Add in your protein for another 6-8 points and another 6-9 points in complex carbs then fruits and veggies at a minimum of 2 points....that is 22 points right there....mihnimum.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 189/167/135

Height: 5'3"

Default eat more breakfast

I love the new soups -- the southwest veggie tastes just like tortillia soup!

I'd suggest upping your breakfast points -- have a hard boiled egg and a banana (total 4 pts) or raisin bran and 1/2 c milk (also 4 pts) or even splurge on a bagel (6 pts) if you're having trouble once it gets to dinner -- studies have shown that even if you are eating lowcal, skipping breakfast will keep you from loosing wt, and even make you gain it!

I know a lot of people don't eat breakfast -- I've had to force my husband (also on WW) to eat bigger ones. He kept ending up with way too many pts for dinner too, and using them up by drinking beer, which I think it why he's plateaued. Hoping more breakfast helps him!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183.6/179.8/130

Light Progresso Soups are they Core?

I had the Savory Vegetable Barley today for lunch and it was very good. According to the core foods list all non cream based soups are core, so why is there no checkmark next to them?
Closed Thread