Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #16  

Seasaw, I saw your question about the Running Room clinic and I can tell you that I took their 10 week Learn to Run clinic two years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. I have been running every since! The Running Room staff were amazing and it was very inspiring. I have been thinking about taking the 10km clinic this spring.

The clinics are a great value for the money so go for it! You'll be glad you did!

Kena
Old 01-03-2002, 12:53 PM   #17  

Laurel: I have had calcifications for over 5 years. The needle biopsy is not bad. You are flat on your stomach on an examining table that has a hole in it. You do get a local anesthetic and the biopsy is like a pin prick. They also take more mammograms.

Calcifications can be precancerous. Once I developed ductal carcinoma in situ which is noninvasive cancer and was treated with a lumpectomy and radiation. Altogether I have had three lumpectomies on the left side and one lumpectomy on the right side. My doctor has told me that it is unusual to have so much surgery. I go to Memorial Sloan-Kettering yearly. I also get mammograms and an ultrasound from another physician.

You can get information and free material about calcification from the following organizations:

The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's National Help Line
800-IMAWARE

National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service
800-4-CANCER

Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
800-221-2141

If I can help, I will try to answer your questions. It's scary, but it really isn't bad. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #18  
LM

Grace, Thank you so much for the info! A pinprick I can live with in terms of being scared of the procedure. And then we'll take the wait and see attitude re: diagnosis.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #19  

Hi everybody. Man, it's hard getting back to the work thing. I've used every excuse in the book today to avoid work. The good news is, my e-mail in box is cleaned up and I know what needs to be done.

Thanks to anyone who commented re the half-marathon clinic. I've pretty much decided to go for it! The other thing I forgot to mention is that I've found a treadmill that is rated quite highly by Consumer Reports. It's at Costco at a reasonable price, so I'm gonna take that plunge too. That would pretty much assure me of being able to stick to a training schedule, regardless of the weather.

Melissa: You are amazing. Such control to post a loss at this time of year. Re the elliptical trainer - I've never used one; sorry I can't help.

Kena: I took both the LTR and 10K Running Room clinics and really enjoyed both of them (well, except for the hill repeats and speed work). I'm always a little afraid that I'll be the slowest in the bunch, but I've decided that someone has to be last, and if I can help in that regard, so be it.

laurel: This waiting must be difficult. Melissa's right - you'll be fine. Now get out there and pet a worm or something - anything to get your mind off of it .

lalala and Patch: All of those movies are on my list to see. I'm especially interested in The Shipping News. Hope I'm not disappointed - it was one of my all-time favourite books (many people I know hated it - not me!) I also really like Newfoundland -so rough and rugged - so that's part of the anticipation!

We've had an aquarium full of sick fish for six weeks, and I think we're gonna lose one of the angelfish - the big guy who we've watched change from juvenile to adult and who has personality plus (yes - fish have personalities). DH has treated the water several times, but the parasite is still hanging in there. It's tough to watch when there's little you can do.

Oh, before I forget, I downloaded a nifty little program for my Palm organizer today. Was it Katie who received one recently? Anyway, this thing does it all - calculates points, has food lists with point values, calculates BMI, acts as a journal, tracks water, milk, veggines, etc. - and it's freeware. Anyone interested can find it at www.palmgear.com . Search under wwcalc and you should find it without difficulty.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #20  
si, si signora

Hi everyone. I'm at home today trying to lay low. I have a new and interesting cold. I am not feeling so cr*ppy so that I have to stay in bed so I'm rather aggravated.

I am getting really motivated to take a running clinic now. They offer a six month clinic through the seattle marathon to help newbies and experienced runners to get ready for races. I just have to make a descision.

I too loved shipping news the book and am wondering how it will be translated to the screen. I love books about canada. seesaw- did you read the recipe for bees?

I'm sorry about your fish. I have a master's degree in fisheries and don't know very much about them. Though good living conditions are important.

Laurel sweetie- I am thinking good thoughts for you. Thank you Grace- I love that name for those resources.

So, I think I'm going to attack the laundry or at least try. DP will not let me take down the tree until after 12th night. I am driven crazy by it. However, since we use the branches as mulch in the garden. We just bring in the felcos and take the branches off and put them into a garbage can and into the garden. The trunk goes out as a trunk. No needles. Pretty nifty.

So, I guess I should get off the computer and get some housework done and some sleep.

Everyone in extreme weather- stay warm and safe!

edited for bad ubb coding

Last edited by lalala; 01-03-2002 at 04:42 PM.
Closed Thread