Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:11 PM   #1  

Unhappy Disastrous Fingernails!

Since I've been on WW [for about 5 months], my formerly healthy, pretty nails have been peeling, breaking, getting very thin and fragile. I have done everything I can think of: I've used nail polish strengtheners; I am 59 and past menopause; I take 2400 mg of calcium every day, and I added kelp, biotin, and folic acid at the suggestion of the lady at the health food store. I want my strong, healthy, pretty fingernails back! Have any of you had nail problems on WW? Do you have any suggestions?
[I hope . . .]
Old 12-14-2001, 09:29 PM   #2  

Fingernails are a product of protein and some of the fats in your blood. That is, if you're low on those things, your nails will start to fall apart on you. Check how you're using your points. Make sure you're getting adequate protein, and make sure you're adding some healthy fats to your diet. A 0% fat diet is NOT HEALTHY. Add some olive oil, some nuts, some nut butters, a bit of avocado, that sort of thing. You've done all the steps from the outside, now try from the inside.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:22 PM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

This is a little off the topic, but unless your doctor recommended that much calcium, I would suggest that you cut it back to 1200-1500 mg per day. Too much calcium, even if you're post-menopausal and worried about osteoperosis, can cause serious health problems.

Lin
Old 12-29-2001, 11:04 AM   #4  

I heard gelatin is suppose to be good for fingernails too. It comes in tablet form also. Maybe that will help. My problem I keep breaking them once they get to a decent length. No way will I ever invest in the fake ones! As clumsy as I am, I do more damage than just chip them!!
Old 12-29-2001, 11:06 AM   #5  

I really need to re-read my post before sending!
That's "I'll probaby do more damage......" Sheeesh!
Closed Thread