Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default How do you break a bad habit?

For the last few days, I have found myself eating chocolate (not huge amounts or even in excess) and I have found myself consuming more fat than usual. When you get into these weird food consumption things, what do you do to break yourself out of the pattern. I also have not been good at writing things down. I've lost 15.4 pounds since starting WW on Oct. 26th, but am concerned that I'm getting into some habits that will backfire on me.

Thanks for your input,

Michelle
Old 12-13-2001, 06:24 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Three thoughts:

1. You haven't told us much about what you usually eat, but your post makes me wonder if your normal plan includes enough fat. I had that same problem and realized I wasn't using enough points as added fat. When I increased it to about 3 per day (about a tablespoon, total,) the creeping fat consumption stopped.

Ditto for the chocolate. If you're not eating enough of the special foods you love, they will start creeping into your diet. So, when I notice that I really want something, I plan to have it soon. And that usually helps to keep me from eating something now that doesn't fit into my plan.

2. If those things aren't the problem, then I think your best defense is to write it all down. Write when you're eating the extra chocolate and fat, too. You may need to ferret out the cause of the habit and deal with that. Boredom, stress, whatever. I've had that happen and I dealt with the underlying issues in my morning journal. Plus, when you write it all down, you make more careful choices. Sometimes, I don't eat something that doesn't fit my points for the day because I don't want to write it down and give up my pretty little sticker I put on my journal every day that I'm successful.

3. One way to deal with a habit is to replace one you don't want with one that you do want. Example: Substitute an activity for eating chocolate. Exercise, a hobby, read a magazine article, whatever.

Those are my best suggestions. Hope they're helpful.

Lin
Old 12-13-2001, 06:44 PM   #3  

Michelle - It must be this time of year, yesterday I had a taste of potato latkes and ended up having 3 when I promised myself only one. I also inhaled about a whole choc bar's worth of milk chocolate.

Partly I think, because I have been so focused on 'doing good' that the kid in me just wanted to have it all. Not good to consistently deprive yourself.

I also find if I'm not eating enough fruits I start craving chocolate and candy. Ususally two per day helps me through and fills me up.

And Lin's right on the money about writing it all down. I was pretty sketchy last week, and am having a hard time getting back into being OP this week. Journaling really keeps the focus about what's important.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:12 PM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

Michelle,

One thing that I have found out is that when I really, really have cravings for things, it is because I have not been drinking enough water. I discovered this by accident one Sunday evening when I really wanted some cheese (I eat cheese by the huge hunks). I tried to fill the craving with another activity, but the craving hung on. I then had hubby take me for a drive, but still wanted the cheese when I got home. Finally, I decided to fill my water bottle (32 oz) and play on the 'puter while I drank the water. Actually, I read lots of messages on 3FC, and sent lots, also. When I finished the water, I shut down the computer and discovered that I didn't have the craving anymore.

A few weeks later, I read an article about dehydration that said you often get cravings to eat something when you are actually dehydrated. So, if you eat what you are craving, the craving is not satisfied because you are still thirsty. That made sense to me because I am not very good at drinking water on the weekends and when this incident happened, it was at the end of the weekend. Anyway, I have started to drink my bottle of water when I feel like I have these cravings. If the craving goes away, I know that I was dehydrated. If the craving persists, I do what Lin suggested - plan to have a little of what I am craving within the points allotted to me on WW.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:43 PM   #5  

Angry Thank you ALL for the great advice

I must mention that I'm fairly new to posting on 3FC, but it is so refreshing to see message forums that get used, that are active.
There is nothing worse than seeing the same old questions with no responses. I just love coming to 3FC because I feel the support here is genuine. Thanks again and I will try all of your suggestions and let you know the outcome.

Michelle
Old 12-14-2001, 10:38 AM   #6  

Default Great, I'll Take this Advice, too...

Michelle, I am also new to this message board, and this caught my eye, since I have been going through the same thing for about a week. Everyone has some really great ideas. I've written them down so I don't forget, and, so I will be more focused. I am a WW lifer at goal, started the program 2/13/01. This is my first experience with the holidays, so every day and practically every minute has been a challenge in maintaining my weight loss!

I will be anxious to see how you are making out!
Thanks to everyone else!
Old 12-14-2001, 11:06 AM   #7  

Default break the habit

I am having the same problem that you have with chocolate. What I did during this week was that in my office they brought a bag of M & M and also some chocolate chips cookies. Before this came I had no have any choc. for 1 week. Because I want to break the craving for sweets I had some low fat crackers and some cheese in the office plus the water I ate some of that drink my water and I was so full that my craving for the sweet went away. Right now it has been almost two weeks without no sweets. I can not have a single m & m because I will be eating the entire bag I can not control the amount at all. I do have at home some of fat free pudding cups which I save in case a get a choc. attack. So far I have been very well which I am soo surprise because I had tried before and had fail. I think that Iam getting cure because I can see the bag of M &M and don't feel anything for it. Hopefully by the end of December I can say that I am Choc. free. Thanks for listening!
Old 12-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #8  
Conquering with SBD

Taina - As you can see by my name, I have a decided sweet tooth. I have always had difficulty dealing with sweets, whether chocolate, cakes, cookies or something else. I drink sugar free seltzers for my water intake every day. This solves 2 problems for me - I do not like water, and it has a bit of a sweet taste to it. When I drink these all day, I don't have the need to even try a sweet. I know if I tried one, like you, I would not stop. I love drinking water now and can't be without it.

Cheers,
Closed Thread