Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default Clothing Alterations?

Hi All! I posted this on the 100lb. club also, but I wanted to post it here to get your input as well. Any help is appreciated!

How many of you have had professional alterations done as you're losing weight? Let me explain....

I have these two pairs of pants that I purchased at the local thrift store for $5 per pair. They looked brand new, and I love them more than I've ever liked any particular piece of clothing. When I got them, they had two sizes, and I bought them both. The larger size is now in the garage sale pile, and the smaller size will be there soon...they're already getting baggy in the butt. I love them so much that I thought I would check into buying anther pair of them NEW. Well...that's not going to happen! I checked the tags and they're both from Talbots. I knew it was a higher end catalog company, etc., but holy cow! I found the pants online and they're $98 per pair!!!! Good heavens, I couldn't bring myself to pay that for one pair! On the other hand, these pants are absolutely fabulous, and I'm rethinking the garage sale pile. I know I only paid five bucks for them, but based on that and the retail price, I would be willing to drop about $20 per pair to alter them. So here are my questions:

1. Have you had pants altered?
2. Were you happy with the fit after you had them altered?
3. What did you pay for the alterations?

Thanks so much for any input!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterswife View Post
1. Have you had pants altered?
Yes

Quote:
2. Were you happy with the fit after you had them altered?
Nope...they never fitted quite right again....

Quote:
3. What did you pay for the alterations?
I paid nearly $50 for each pair I had altered...it was cheaper to go find some new ones....
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #3  
Kelly M

Thanks, Kel! I'll definitely have to ask the price up front!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would like to add from a seamstress point of view-why alterations are so expensive. It takes hours of handwork-even with a sewing machine-because you have to hand rip out all the existing seams, etc.

The only "easy" alteration is hemming a skirt/pant shorter. Other than that, there is lots of planning and measuring and math, dissecting a garment, and redoing it all.

If you think about a piece of clothing, even a simple Hanes t-shirt is made up of 5 pieces-a front, a back, 2 sleeves, and the neck binding-and if I were to alter an XL one down to a M-I would have to take all of those pieces apart first at all the seams. If you have a garment with pockets/zipper/buttons/snaps/buttonholes/decorative pleating/other stuff-it is that much more difficult and tedious.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

aphil, I wasn't complaining about the cost cuz as a steamstress I know but I still wouldn't even attempt to do my own alterations and like I said they just never fit right after the alterations either.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Kelly-
The reason why I was explaining the price of alterations had nothing to do with you post.

I was simply explaining why alterations are so expensive-so that the original poster will be aware of it being expensive beforehand-and why. People sometime don't realize, that even a $40 or $50 alteration can actually break down to the seamstress only getting $5 an hour by the time all of the work is done.

Honestly, for myself, I only alter certain items like formal wear, and my dance costumes. As far as jeans/slacks go, and everyday wear-it is simpler, and cheaper to just buy different pants or a blouse-unless there is some particular attachment to the particular garment. It is often easier to make a new pair of pants, then alter an existing pair smaller-unless it is a simple hem to shorten them.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Kelly-
The reason why I was explaining the price of alterations had nothing to do with you post.
Ok. I had just said how much it cost me (bows LOL) my mistake.

Quote:
.... and cheaper to just buy different pants or a blouse-unless there is some particular attachment to the particular garment. It is often easier to make a new pair of pants, then alter an existing pair smaller-unless it is a simple hem to shorten them.
I've been know to take bows, pockets and buttons off a favorite shirt and replace with cheaper ones to use when I make something myself or to alter another item I have. LOL
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #8  
Kelly M

For the most part I do simple alterations myself, and don't mind them! I think I will at least seek out a seamstress and ask about these pants, as I just don't really want to give them up, nor do I want to pay $100 for another pair. Yes, I could buy less expensive ones, but these just feel sooooo good when I wear them!
Closed Thread