Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 10:10 AM   #1  

Default 100 Year Old Recipes!

Obviously, these are not WW, but there was an article in the Detroit Free Press that said MSU was undertaking a project to put 75 American cookbooks published before 1923 online. This project is the first of it's kind, so there are not too many online yet. This is pretty interesting to see what they cooked 100 years or more (one is from 1796). A lot of butter and lard, but, everyone worked more and needed more calories To check it out go to http://digital.lib.msu.edu then click on Collections, then Cookbooks.
Pat
Old 10-11-2001, 09:38 AM   #2  

Hi Pat,
I'm going to check out this web site shortly. Appreciate getting it actually. I'm always interested in finding out more about what people ate before. I personally find that today our food is too refined. I think that contributes greatly to the overweight of the general population,myself included. Since doing the weight watchers program I am into more fresh veggies and fruit and it is making a difference for me.
I should point out that I am very new to this site. A few minutes in fact. It may take me awhile to figure things out but I am happy to join everyone here. This weight thing is something I am going to fight to the bitter end. I just want to be healthier and feel better about myself. Take care and have a good day.
Barb
Old 10-11-2001, 11:06 PM   #3  

Default apple butter

my mom tried making apple butter from a recipe that was in a 1900s cookbook. it would have been fine, except we couldn't find conversions for a bushel of apples....hee hee. it ended up being more like apple syrup, but it was still good. my mom and i joke about it still.

andrea
Closed Thread