Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 09:20 PM   #1  

Default Counting down from 250 and above - Sept. 30 downward

Hello! Thanks for coming by and joining us -=- we wanna be here for your ups and downs, the good days and the bad ones. Stop by and chat -- you'll be glad you did!!!!
Old 09-30-2001, 09:24 PM   #2  

I've been havin' a strange problem lately -- about a week or two ago I began cooking every meal (just about!) in. We usually eat two "meals" every day and do a lot of grazing in between. Here's the thing though -- I haven't been able to eat anything like all my points in a single day since. I'm just plain not hungry enough. I think part of my problem is that I'm using a LOT of low/no point items in meals (so I'll make a small piece of chicken and serve it on a giant bed of fresh garden greens) and so even when I cound my 0 points as 1 point ('cause they all have calories whether they have points or not), I'm coming up short. Today, for instance, I've had about 15 points so far -- and its darn near bedtime for me! I'm about to retire to my bath and book with some water, some fat-free pudding (another 2 points worth), and a Slimfast bar (for another 2 points) of the sort I really like. I'm still shy quite a bit! How worried should I be about this? Should I assume my appetite will return? Should I be sneaking extra points in to my meals? (Like, should I have buttered my corn with dinner this evening?) I'm not hungry ever anymore (that's a great plus, I think!) and can't seem to come up with what it takes to eat all my points.

(Don't hate me 'cause this is my problem, okay? )
Old 09-30-2001, 11:30 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Evening:

It has been a marvelous weekend! Warm with an Autumn breeze. We took a walk tonight and you could smell the leaves on the air. Still a little warm....but, who's complaining. In Oregon you don't complain when its not raining. It is so very hard to believe that in such a beautiful country we are at war.

Bunny: Can't say I have that problem of not being hungry at all. I am still in the shrinking my stomach faze. I would like to know what athletic shoe you wear for all your walking though.

Made the Blue Cheese dressing recipe tonight. Very yummy and my husband even ate it. I cut the fat more by using fat free sour cream & cut the oil in 1/2. Now I have to find a scone recipe that has low points. My husband says he eats so much better when I am trying to lose weight. This is probably so true since I am trying different recipes all the time.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

ttfn
ssdiane

Old 10-01-2001, 07:42 AM   #4  

Morning, ladies (and lurking gents)! I'm about to head out the door for a morning in Asheville with my best friend. We try to get together at least once a week and haven't been able to put it together this month (er, last month?) so this is our first girl's day out in a while. I've been up for hours in anticipation.

Ssdiane -- Actually, I walk in Birkenstock sandals (with socks when its snowing) all the time. I keep meaning to buy a pair of Vasque hiking boots (they have a style that would offer me the ankle support that I so desperately need) but never find the time/$ to pick them up. The Birks are two strap with ankle surround, so they stay on and are cool and comfortable. It makes me nervous when we come up on snakes (we passed a 3.5 foot long yellow timber rattler a couple week back) but not nervous enough yet to save up the $ for good shoes. My teen walks in her old Adiddas tennis shoes (purchased used at the flea market). What kind of scone recipe are you lookng for? Here's classic scones for 1 pt each wedge.

1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1/2 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg(s)
1 tbsp margarine, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg and margarine. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just blended; do not over-mix.

Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough to a 1/4-inch (6 mm) thickness. With a sharp knife, cut into 12 wedges and place on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (200°C) and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

-----
Hope you all have a great start to your week!!!
Old 10-01-2001, 12:33 PM   #5  

Angry Almost healthy again!

Hi everyone!
I am feeling a bit better today, although not totally mended. What a virus I have had.... it is now 2 weeks since I started feeling all achey/flu-ey. I thought it was just a cold, but now its settled in to some sort of chest infection. But its not just me, and several people I know are also suffering - one has come out in hives....so it could be worse I suppose

Upshot is that I have cancelled my trip to France but am going to go to Cornwall instead (that is the far south west of britain). I have been a lot before - it is rugged, with great cliff walks etc. I have booked a self catering cottage so i can take my own food, and therefore see to the points.

Bunny, I have also had that problem with not getting enough points. I think it could be a problem if your metabolism thought you were starving and stopped your weight loss for you. It is also important to get enough fat or your hair will all fall out. Cant have that.

What I do is try to have as many 'normal' meals as possible - ie the sort of things I would eat if I was not on a weightloss programme. The idea is that when I finally come off the weightloss programme, my eating will not change dramatically. Therefore I have the odd creamy sauce, made with normal cream not fat free etc. Or I have some cake - and count the points. Or I fry some potatos - but of course, count the points. I think this is the most sustainable thing to do really.

And it really goes to show what rubbish we eat when we go out to restaurants. It is a wonder to me that they can get quite so many points in to quite such an unfulfilling and dismal plate of food!

I have never seen a snake, except in the zoo. My dad saw one once, in our garden, in about 1952. Not common here in Cool Brittania. I did have a kind of 2.5 inch wasp thing in my honeysuckle the other day, which I think might have been a hornet, but I am not certain. It did not look very friendly, so I did not invite it in for tea. One's hospitality can extend just so far, I find, and I am currently full to the brim with harvest spiders (which I kill on sight, but they must be pretty stupid, or have a pretty naff intra-species communication system, because they just keep on coming........)

I have no idea how my weight loss is going at the moment. I last weighed in 2 weeks ago and I had gained .5 but I had not had a good week. Last week I did not weigh because I was at the theatre. I have stuck more or less OP while I have been ill, but I have been right at the top of my points and maybe straying over by 1or 2 a day - I have not been as strictly watching my portions. Cant be bothered. I will find out tomorrow. My waist is 2 inches smaller though! I am very pleased about that.

And today I have been feeling like thinking about portions and OPness generally for the first time in days. I can forgive myself about this. I have so much to lose that a few days of laxity is not going to throw me off. And to be honest, it has only been a few extra points here and there - its not as if I went completely AWOL (which is OK too of course).

I am looking forward to getting some walking in when I go to Cornwall (I go thursday). I have been so couch potato-ey. yesterday I lay on the sofa and watched all three (count them, three) Star Wars films. By myself. Fantastic.

They dont call me Jedi-Lilac for nothing you know.......

Well, must go - laundrey to finish, light-savers to polish, you know how it is
love
Lilac
Old 10-01-2001, 03:34 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon everyone!!

I am home on Mondays usually. I work 4-ten hour days. I love the Mondays off but by Friday afternoon I am really exhausted. I also watch my 3 year old grandson on Mondays for my daughter so she can save on daycare expenses.

Bunny: Great scone recipe I think I will try it today. I am trying a Beef Tortilla Casserole tonight. Using some leftover Roast beef.
I have a gardner snake (I think that is the spelling) in my garden. I swear it is the same one every year. He suns himself in between the beds. He scares the hec out of me sometimes. You can just see him start moving out of the corner of your eye. I think I would have to give hiking in the wild a second thought if there was poisonous snakes around. I have a pair of strapless Birkenstocks & they are not too good for long walks. I have been wearing a pair of Cobbie Cuddler walking shoes. They are fine, so far, but I feel the same about ankle support.

Lilac: Great you are feeling better. I envy you because you seen to do so much. We have a small theater in our little town & I do visit them as much as possible. They always have a great Holloween play. Very Scarry!!! Also, once a year try to get to Sylvia's dinner theater. This is fun too...eat pasta & watch a play. The last one I saw was "On Golden Pond". It was actually quite good. I know I should go into Portland more ofter because they have great theater. Did not know about the hair falling out thing and fat. I too try to limit fat. Your attitude about what you eat is great. I get a little anal about this. I should not be so black & white and do gray sometimes.

Gotta Run my Grandson got outside & is running around the yard in his socks.

ttfn
ssdiane
Old 10-01-2001, 05:32 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

Just checking in with you from Edinburgh, Scotland where I and my older daughter are visiting with my younger daughter and her hubby . We've been here just over a week and have had a ball exploring all the historic sites here. This last weekend we went to Oban, on the east coast (quite a tourist town) and stayed at a B&B. Get this, I had to climb 39 steps to my room!! Actually, it wasnt too bad. Maybe after all the climbing at Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood and all the walking, my legs are getting stronger...I hope. We took the ferry to the Isle of Mull on Saturday and a rainy morning turned lovely and sunny and we enjoyed picture perfect views all over the island. I wish I could have stayed longer, it was so beautiful and peaceful.
Back in Edinburgh now, because of course, Lisa and Greg had to work today but on our way back we visited Stirling Castle, a magnificent ediface with yet MORE stairs and hills to climb, but I gritted my teeth and did it all and it was well worth it. The views in every direction are incredible and the castle itself very interesting.
I've been trying to keep track of my points and, so far, I believe all the unaccustomed exercise I've been doing has balanced out the few extra goodies I've enjoyed (yummy scones with cream and strawberry preserves). At Oban I had the most delightful seafood dinner and had no idea how to count it as there was a cream sauce but I think I've either held my own or lost. Sure hope that isn't just wishful thinking.
Today I stayed at the kids' flat and did laundry and made a roast leg of lamb which Lisa had purchased before we arrived. I've never cooked a leg of lamb before but cut slits in it and inserted slivers of garlic, rubbed it with herbs and roasted potatoes, onions, carrots, turnips and parsnips around it. It all turned out wonderful. I was quite amazed at myself. Shelley made a delicious Greek salad to go with it so we were all quite satisfied.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, we hope to take the bus to the Royal Yacht Brittannia and on Wednesday we have booked a bus tour to Loch Ness with stops along the way, returning the same evening. Hopefully the weather will improve.
We'll be returning to Canada on Friday so I'll report back to you then.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:28 PM   #8  

My father sent this quote along to me and I couldn't remember if I'd posted it here. I found it comforting, thought-provoking, as I struggle to regain my footing and perspective follwing the terrorist attacks here.

Quote:
No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. -- John Donne (1572-1631)
Today has been a nothing day - quiet and uneventful here. I've got dinner planned (the Artichoke and Tomato Pasta recipe on my week 11 WW card) and have nearly finished the laundry. My husband is working hard to clear out some back stock in order that we can make what we need to this month. My older girl is sick (a cold), the younger is pouting because that means she has chores today and the older doesn't. So it goes...

LindaBC -- isn't it marvelous all the walking and climbing you've done? I mean -- know you can do it -- wow!! I love that feeling when I've walked further than I ever thought I could and then I'm there and its stupendous!

Ssdiane -- I'm not a big fan of snakes -- but I find its just something you have to get used to in the wild. Most snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them -- and they leave the path post haste if you come upon them. Once in Florida when I came home, I opened the door, walked in and glanced to my side as I was doing so -- and there at eye-level was a tree snake that had climbed my house and was perched on my house numbers!! I slammed the door, opened a window to tell the girls to go around the back of the house, and then called a friend who likes snakes to come save me. It was a sight -- because this friend was on her way to the opera and came in full gown and beaded glory to remove my snake.

Lilac -- I'm glad you're feeling better. Indeed, I'd say that your newly thinking about portions and on-programness is the best sign that you're on the mend, eh? When the Star Wars Episode One was coming to the movie theatre here in the States, my husband and I sat in front of the theatre for 36 hours to get tickets. He saw the first showing (at midnight), my kids and I joined him later in the day for a different showing. We're dedicated fans, too. My favourite Hallowe'en memory is of costumes my father made for my brother, sister and me -- it was just after the release of Star Wars, and I was a sandperson, my brother was a Jawa, and my sister was R2D2 (complete with working lights and all!).
Old 10-03-2001, 12:05 AM   #9  

Talking

Good Evening Everyone!!

Yahoo, I had WI tonight and I am down 2.50 lbs. Got a very red book marker for making it to a 5lb weight loss. In the whole scope of the weight loss adventure it is a small dent. But, a dent none the less. I love the leader and I am kind of bummed out because she is a fill-in until they get another. She gives out these corny stickers and stars and I love it....what a little girl I am. I can only hope that the next leader will be just as good.

Has anyone else saw the messages about this website being in financial trouble and asking everyone about donating a $1 a month to keep it going? I checked around the website and did not see any notice from the 3fc people.

Hey Bunny: I tried the scone recipe. I think I did not put enough flour in it because it was like a soft biscuit? I did not have plain yogurt so I used lemon & then put some grated lemon peel in it also.YuMMMMM!! Loved the quote. How true it is. We are all just one big family. On one of your postings you addressed it also to lurking Gents. Does that mean a lot of weight loss type guys that just don't want to join in or weirdo type guys?

LindaBC: What a cool trip. Eating good food and being able to walk it off.

Gotta go getting late. Will check in tomorrow.

ttfn
ssdiane

272/266.5/under 200
Old 10-03-2001, 12:36 AM   #10  
Makin_it

hi
Old 10-03-2001, 06:31 AM   #11  

Default Big weight loss

Well, what do you know? I got on the scales at WI last night and am down 7.5lbs!!!!!!! To be honest I think a lot of it must be to do with being ill - as I said in my post the other day I have been just over points - although maybe I lose better at that end of the spectrum? They do say that you have to move around until you find what suits. 7.5lbs! It is for two weeks - as I did not go last week. That makes my total loss to date 19.5lbs. 104.5 to go to goal....!

Canadian - Brenda - Hi there! How great to see you? How is it going?

ssdiane - 2.5 is brilliant! I like things like little stickers and stars too. My leader wrapped up an ordinary house brick in wrapping paper and passed it around and we had to guess how much it weighed - it was 5.5lbs. So at my meeting now we are all aiming for 'a brick a month'! Well, some are aiming for more, but I am sticking to a brick a month.

Bunny - I bet you were great as a sandperson.

Linda - Scotland sounds completely wonderful. i am going there in early April next year for a long weekend. All that exercise too! Holidays are interesting times really, as it is easy to eat a bit extra, but also it is easy to do lots of extra exercise without really noticing. As I said, I am off to Cornwall for a few days at the end of this week, and I expect to do quite a bit of walking (although I am not sure I am quite up to my past form of 9 miles along the cliffs.....I used to do that with a very eccentric friend of mine who would sing hymns loudly as she went - she did it for pure joy. )

Oh well - onwards and downwards, as they say. I have some cold trout and rice for lunch - the trout has been hanging around in the fridge for a few days so I hope its ok.... Then this afternoon I am off to see my clients, and then off to college for the evening.
Love to everyone
lilac
Old 10-03-2001, 07:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm still alive and kicking. This is my really bad week at work as I'm going in early and working late. So no time for individual posts. I have been keeping up with you all during my lunch and it has helped me keep away from the junk food during this high stress time. The last two days food has been very good. And I've gotten my dog walk in each night. Buts its TOM and I forgot to take my BP meds yesterday so I have water weight haunting me.

I've been thinking about my progress, or lack there of and have maybe reached a couple of conclusions. One, weekends just do me in. So I'm switching to Thursday nights and starting my week's journal/point talley on Friday mornings. I do well during the week or at least the first several days of my week. So maybe that will help me get a grip on the weekends. The other is that I think I need to step up my exercise. I've been walking about 30-45 mins almost every day since the end of July and I think my body has adjusted. So I'm going to have to find time to slip in a tae bo or step or exercycle session a few times a week to see if that doesn't kick up my metobolism a bit. And lastly, I really need to crack down on the portion sizes.

So having said that, I best jot it down for me to keep with me and make these my personal goals. I've been stuck at this same weight range forever it seems and need to shake something up to get past it. Very frustrating and discouraging to be yo-yoing the same darn pound.

As much as I'd like to hang out here at home all day, I must get the dog up and then get myself dressed.

Keep up all your great work and great attitudes. Love reading what everyone is doing.

Take care,
Old 10-03-2001, 11:37 AM   #13  

2fatchicks does need our help. Here's the link to the "Please help support 3FC" message:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/3fc/support3fc.html

I've sent them some $ (and will send more as I have it available) because I find real value in what they've provided here. When I buy books from Amazon (which I do regularly), I always do it through the 3fatchicks link here as they get a "kick back" from Amazon for purchases made through their affiliate program:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/books/bookstore.html

I figure I'd struggle more in my weight-loss journey had I not found this site -- so I'm not gonna let it go down without a fight, ya know?

determined to succeed -- way to live up to your ID here! I think the hardest part about losing the weight is being able to recognize where your "issues" with food or weight loss are -- and then address them. Bravo for you!!!

Lilac -- My goodness! 7.5# -- WOW! At least you got something outta being sick, eh? Though in truth you know the weight is more due to your own perserverance than any bug you caught and tamed.

Canadian -- Hello! Hope you come back to see us again soon. We're a friendly group -- truly!

Ssdian -- about the gents? I just assume there must be men who read here too - and some of them will be lurkers waiting to see if the waters are friendly enough to dive in -- so when I remember, I address our lurking gents too. Silly but there you have it. I'll try to find another scone recipe for ya. I usually make scones only once a year -- Christmas morning -- so I need to find a low-fat recipe I can use by then, too!

Hope you all have splendid days today! Mine's off to a good start already -- good food, I'm not sick (yet!), and I got a present from a friend in the mail today. Wheee!!!
Old 10-03-2001, 07:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Catching up

I printed the thread so that I could catch up with everyone.

SSDiane - Congratulations on your 2.5 gone and getting your bookmark. Milestones are so wonderful. Don't feel silly about the stars and such. You need to celebrate your accomplishments and feel good and those little stars help!

Bunny - I concur with Liliac on getting your points in. I think the main thing isn't so much the number of points but the variety so that you get all the vitamins, fats, sodium, etc. to keep your body in balance. You may find that you stall out and need to work in more points on some days. Your body may just be going through some phase and hunger will kick back in. I have days where I can eat less than my min and not be starved and then there are days when I'm ravenous and have already eaten my max. Richard Simmons lost all his hair when he did a real strict low calorie diet.

LindaBC - Your trip sounds fantastic and what great exercise you're getting. Did you see the monster at Loch Ness? The food sounds great too.

Lilac - Glad to see you're feeling better and what a wonderful gift the scale gave you. Hmmm, cold trout hanging around. That conjours up all kinds of silly images!! Are you studying at college or did I forget something (entirely possible for me these days)?

I'm wiped out and need to go see what DH is doing.

Have a good day tomorrow!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:14 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Evening ladies.

Well, I'm stuck again. Lost 7, gained one, lost that one again and today stayed the same. Tis rut is getting DEEP! Terri, I too have to watch my portion size closely. I know they've been creeping up. Time to get out that food scale again and regulate my "eye" for the amount of food on my plate.

I finally broke down and got new, light-weight hiking boots from Landsend. They are soooo comfortable. I do have to waterpoof them this weekend tho. I love them when I'm walking in the woods with the pointer. Ankle support is a big thing to me. Comes from having enough stainless steel in one of my ankles to set off airport alarms <G>. The moral of this story: Don't slip on ice and crash your whole body down on to one foot that's ended up tucked under you .... bones DO break.

Back to jogging in the pool 2 nights a week and plan to start swimming laps on the weekends starting this week. I need much more exercise than I'm getting.

BRENDA: HI back !!!!! We miss you.

BUNNY: Yep, I agree with everyone else. You have to eat up your points and you have to vary your diet. As i look back on ast week I found that I'd stayed within my points but WAY too many were carbs. I know I've gotta eat more protein and fruit and less pasta and breads. (Darn!)

LILACGLITTER: See what being sick can do for you ... WOW 7.5 lbs. Almost make it worth feeling like #### doesn't it? Enjoy Cornwall and report back to us about your trip. Take it easy. Hope you feel better soon.

DIANE: Next time you're in the grocery store pick up a 5 lb bag of sugar. You'll be even more proud that you aren't carrying it around with you any more. GOOD START! Congrats!!!
I used to do the 4-day work week thing too. Just during Daylight Savings Time tho. I didn't like driving home in heavy snow on the nights I worked late so I went back to regular hours. Now I go to, and come home from, work when he school busses are on the roads. That way they are usualy <G> plowed. I did enjoy those long weekends though.

LINDA: Hope you have a safe flght home. Don't forget to check in with us on the weekend.

Off to get out the food scale and pack lunch for tomorrow. Y'all be good, hear?
Closed Thread