Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 07:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Counting down from 250 and above - Sept. 21 downward

Welcome! We are a wonderful group who post here to support and encourage each other in our weight loss journey. We vent, we laugh, we cry, we comfort. Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:47 AM   #2  

Default Hooray for Friday!

Hi ladies,

Quick post this am so I can go iron DH's shirts. What fun at 6:30 am.

Anyway, I made it to WI last night. I lost .8 and will take that. The veggie soup helped. That isn't great for a two-week weighin but do figure that it makes up for the .4 I had gained so I netted a .4 loss. And since I wasn't into WW last week I'll count myself extra lucky. So now just have to keep my focus so I have a good WI next week too.

I'll print the old thread out and get caught up with everyone. Someone had asked about my veggie soup and I got a tuna melt recipe last night at WI that I'll post. Plus think of some ideas for Bunny to cook. Maybe I better see when the servers are changing and plan my posts accordingly!

Everyone, must run, but have a great OP day and be strong!

And yes Lilac, we are missing a few. I do know Maggie is preparing to leave for her travels and is not posting here anymore. Sure do miss her.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:14 PM   #3  

Nice long, hilly, hard, rocky, wonderful hike today. Also weigh-in and down a pound. All that means, I'm tired and happy.

More later (I hope!) or tomorrow.

Hope you are all doing GREAT!!
Old 09-23-2001, 07:25 AM   #4  

hi everyone!
It is Sunday morning. I have a big pot of veggie soup bubbling on the stove, and am plotting to do something with some chicken thighs later - dont really know what though.

Recipes for Bunny

Well I have thought about this. I looked in Sue Kreitzman's book on low fat cookery and she has some fab mexicanish type things. Try Green Pea Guacamole (2 crushed cloves of garlic, squeeze of lemon, squeeze of lime, 1lb frozen peas (thawed), a handful of chopped parsley, and chopped coriander (cilantro), some chopped mint, and some (2tbsps) Mexican salsa. ---mix and blend together till smoothe and add more lemon/lime/salt/salsa until you get the right taste).

Also, she recommends doing duck breasts in fajitas - you buy them covered in their layer of fat, but the fat just peels off in one lump and you are left with the leanest meat imaginable - you can cook this on a ridged pan, or whatever. She recommends coating it in spices to get a 'smokey' flavour - she uses cumin, coriander, pepper and lime juice. Eccentrically, she then steams them for 10 or 15 mins over a pan of very strong (six teabags full) of Lapsang Souchong tea!!! Then she puts them in the ridged pan and finishes them off, and slices them in to fajitas with mango, salsa, salad etc.

Or Braised Chicken Mexican
3 crushed garlic cloves
half a red and half a green chilli - deseed and chop
12 spring (green?) onions
juice of 1 lime
zest of same lime
pinch cumin, coriander
splash of dark rum
1tbsp tom. puree
salt and pepper
6 chicken thighs
half pint chicken stock
chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish

You put everything except the last three above in to a bowl and then you put the chicken in to marinade for about half an hour. Then you put all that in a big frying pan and pour in the stock. Simmer for 20 mins until done and juices will be a thick boiled down sauce. sprinkle over the coriander leaves and she suggests serviing with somethign sweet potatoish - eg my sweet potato chips? where you cut sweet potato in to wedges and coat them in a mixture of cumin coriander cinnamon and anything else you like (I put cayenne pepper on last night and it blew my head off - you could use chilli if you want - personally cant stomach the stuff, but it would work here in moderation I think). Then bake the chips for 30 - 40 mins in hot oven. I always have some mayo with this...!!

Bunny, how about braising something? Then hubby gets his meat and veg and you get your soupy/stewy type thing, and what could be easier than bunging meat and veg in a pot, covering with water and leaving for hours in the oven?! And how nice to make your kitchen smell so earthmothery! Do you need a braising recipe? i could look some up if you do.

What fun talking about food.

I am going to try and do a sort of stove top coq au vin with my chicken thighs today - I bought filets in stead of ones with bones in and I think they will just fall apart if I try to do them in the oven.

I have to go and think of something other than food for a while I was up half a pound last week and I really want it to have gone this week, so a healthy walk or something might be best for me now!
love to all
lilac
Old 09-23-2001, 07:11 PM   #5  

Hello ladies,

Can't believe its Sunday early evening already and I didn't get done nearly what I had planned. Surely didn't get caught up on posts or recipes.

I did go down to ride the horse again today. So little time. I'd love to ride everyday. Maybe next year after she foals I can get her moved closer to home.

I haven't done too horrible with food the last few days. Mom did have killer pecan pie though. When I got home from there, I took the dog for a nice long walk. Maybe that walked off some of the pie. I think horsebackriding burns some calories. Surely it must.

Well, I must go. I'm a bit tired and need to rest for the start of a new week. Really need to plan our meals and to do list.

Have a great evening and Monday. Take care!

P.S. Lilac - good ideas. I need to browse your post again. Hope you got out an enjoyed the fall weather to get your mind off the good sounding food.

Bunny - Great job on being down a pound and for taking that great hike. I really must come to your area.

Toodles!
Old 09-24-2001, 07:56 AM   #6  

Hello everyone,
I am sitting staring at the chaos that is my desk, feeling completely not like tidying it up! In fact I would rather be out in the air than stuck in here working, but I have a lot to get through.
I am planning a holiday in France for next week. I was going to go to cornwall or something, but then my friend started talking about wanting to sell her house and reinvest the money in a bigger house she can convert in to a retreat centre, and I said 'oh you should look in France its much cheaper and you get more for your money' and before the end of the phone call we had agreed to go over and snoop around a bit next week! We are going to go to Brittany - o-oh, look out for demon crepes and cups of cider!!! the points will suffer. I thought I could take a few disposable barbecues and we could buy fish and cook on the beach in the evening - that would be low point.
Anyway, I feel a bit scared at the prospect of taking my new car to france so soon - I have never yet driven there without losing a wing mirror! Its because they drive on the wrong side of the road....

Love to all. must do some work
lilac
Old 09-25-2001, 12:29 AM   #7  

Hi!

I am new to this thread. But, not to 3fc. I was in a thread about 6 months ago. We started remodeling our house & the computer got put to sleep for awhile. Now thats over! I really missed the support.

I am over 250 and recently started going to meetings again. I rejoined with my mom. I was on my own before. Did just ok... I just seem to backslide without the meetings.

I hope you have room for another. Can't write much tonight I started looking around much too late.

sherry
Old 09-25-2001, 06:42 AM   #8  

Good morning!

Not much to report. I think I'm getting a cold so I'm a bit groggy this morning.

I've had another good OP day. I ended my week with 5 banked points and am off to a good start this week. Now if I just don't chuck my plan for comfort food this week I will be on a good roll.

I dug a pair of black jeans out of the closet last night. I had quit wearing them because black jeans always seem to be tighter than blue. I hate it when they're tight and make the stomach roll even more noticeable. So I slipped them on and zipped them right up. DH even said I looked skinnier. Even though it wasn't going down a size in jeans, I felt good because the last time they had been so tight.

Liliac - your holiday sounds lovely. I understand about the car. My new one is six months old and had to fight with myself about driving it. I didn't want to pile on a bunch of miles. But had to get over that and now just love riding in it.

Sherry - Always got room. We're a bit quiet at the moment. Welcome to the group.

Time for me to get off here and go spend a few minutes on the exercycle.

Have a great OP day.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:47 AM   #9  

Hello everyone.
I just had lovely lunch - cinnamon and raison bagel with a slice of port salut cheese in - yum - 5.5pts. Its funny, but I find that less food is filling me up these days - I never really believed people before when they said they were full after not very much, but I am noticing a difference. Has to be a good thing!

I had my hair done this morning and it looks nice - short but well styled. Then I did a bit of shopping and bought a few little bits, including a thing called a potato ricer which is like a garlic crusher, only big enough for potato - its to get smooth mash.

Determined - those black jeans sound fantastic! Black is always a slimming colour too, although unfortunately it makes me look like a corpse with a cold, so I tend to avoid it! It is so motivating to get in to clothes that have not fitted for a while. I was shopping today, and thought that this time next year I reckon I will be able to go in to some of the 'normal' shops and buy things I like, and I cant wait for that! I really want a dark brown suede jacket, which I would wear with a silk scarf in golds/yellows/browns. Also I want to be able to get in to a nice brown suede pair of boots. Last time I lost loads of weight I went down a shoe size, and now my feet are too fat/swollen to fit in to most shoes. Yippee! Pound a week should get me to a size 18 (that is a USA size 16) next autumn!

Sherry - yes welcome! Its true about backsliding without the meetings, although for me its more the weighing that keeps me on track, rather than the meeting itself. It is really disappointing to lose and then gain again, but good for you for picking it up again! This is a very supportive thread, and I look forward to your posts!

Well, love to everyone! I am going to take myself off for a walk now. I walked round a big pond in the park yesterday, and it was really beautiful in the late afternoon sun. Later on I am off to the Albert Hall to see Victoria Wood (who is a comedian - I dont know if she is well known in the states). She is usually very funny, so I am looking forward to that.

Lilac
Old 09-25-2001, 09:56 PM   #10  

Thumbs down Hi All

I hope there's room for another fellow "looser". No, I'm not insulting everyone...lol I love to come here after work and see messages from friends who share my adventure..

Sue
-45lb. (100 to go)
Old 09-26-2001, 12:38 PM   #11  

hi there sue - yes you are very welcome!

I see you are down 45 already! that is wonderful news.

I am just off out so I popped in to say hi and am popping out again. i missed my WI this week as I went to the theatre, which was good for my soul! I have been op so I hope for a loss next week, although I was ill with a cold this week, which got better and has come back today with a vengence as a cough and chest pain - all not very nice.

love to everyone
lilac
Old 09-26-2001, 05:17 PM   #12  

This evening I made "Open-faced Crab-melt Sandwiches" from a Weight Watchers recipe -- and they were VERY good. They are 5 points per sandwich. I served them with a fresh fruit salad. This was utterly filling. Here's the recipe:

1 pound lump crab meat (or imitation)
1/3 cup fat-free mayo
1/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers (water packed) minced
2 tsp Dijon mustard (buy quality -- it matters!!)
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 slices pumpernickel bread
4 3/4 oz slices of low-fat Swiss cheese

Pre-heat the broiler. Mix all the ingredients except the bread and cheese well. Put 1/4 of the mixture on each slice of bread. Put a slice of cheese on each sandwich. Broil until cheese is golden and bubbly -- about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately. Yum!

Love to see new faces here. I've not had the time I'd prefer to drop by and read/reply lately -- but I swear I'm planning to get better!

Yesterday we went on a moderately long hike (about 3 miles round trip) along the Appalachian Trail here in North Carolina. It was so beautiful, along a spine of the mountains, where you could see nothing but incredible vistas from either side of the trail. It was so cool ... we're going back tomorrow! And this time we're bringing a picnic lunch.

Love ya all. Miss ya!
Old 09-26-2001, 11:16 PM   #13  

Hi Everyone:

Had fun reading everyones posts. The recipe looked great so i printed it out. I am looking for a low fat salad dressing recipe. There is'nt really any bottled dressings that rock my boat. I like the ranch or creamy type dressing. Blue cheese is my favorite. I will look around in this site for one.

Did the WI last night & lost three pounds. Was a little disapointed since this was my first week back after rejoining. but, it was still a lose and I give myself a pat on the back.

I have 119 lbs to lose I guess. I think that 150 is the high end of where they want me? I am 19 lbs from 250. that is of course my first goal and 24lbs to 10%. I certainly belong in this chat room "3fat chicks".

I am still listening to news radio at work thinking I am going to miss some fast breaking national news...I have to get back to my music station before my head bursts. I have trouble sleeping now & I worry about my grandsons future.

ttfn
Sherry
Old 09-27-2001, 09:36 AM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been AWOL for awhile. I'm sure you don't want all the excuses but.......I've had a friend in need and have been trying to help her out for the past week. It has brought me home totally exhausted where I just crash on the couch.

Food has not been good. After my nice loss last Monday I had a 1.5# gain this week. Just not watching, journalling, etc. and this behavior needs to STOP!!!!

I am getting ready for the Recognition Reception at the nursing home today so I can't stay and respond to all you all have written. I did read it all, however, and it sounds like you're all well and have some nice adventures planned.

Welcome to Sherry and Sue. I'm usually here much more regularly, but it has been really easy to stay away lately and consequently my 'falling off the wagon'. I will be back more often because it is good for my program and I really miss all my friends.

Gonna run. You all have a great day!

"Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with." - Billy D. Williams in Mahogany

Last edited by thinthinker; 09-27-2001 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:54 PM   #15  

Angry welcome to our new losers

It has been awhile since I have been able to post. I had a bad week 2 weeks ago, witheverything that happened, but this past week was better and I made up for most of my gain the week before. I must confess I have not been as OP as I should have been. I think I am gong to try to reread my WW materials to get myself back and raring to go. I also figure to look over the recipes again for some new ideas.

I am glad to see some new faces here. When we are all writing we can be a very supportive group, but some days just sneak by and before we know it days turn into a week. I am also happy to hear that everyone is doing pretty well.

My work schedule has changed so that means that so has my gym workout schedule. I am a bit bummed about that, but life happens. I am trying to fit it in when I can. Also my eating has changed. I am looking for easy things to eat in the car while I am driving to work (about an hour) on major roads. I know it isn't all that safe, but that is when I have a chance to eat. I have been eating dry cereal and an apple, but I am looking for other ideas. I am also working on sandwich ideas that are not too many points and don't require refrigeration or much cooking. Kind of has me limited, but I am trying to make that a challenge for myself.

Have a good OP day and take care.
Melissa
Closed Thread