Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 12:30 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge - Wk# 4 - Oct 1- 7

HEY THERE CHALLENGETTES - WEEK FOUR IS UPON US

Melissa, Katie, and Seasaw gave me the idea for this week, on the Thin4life thread. They were chatting about Christmas coming up, and what each was planning to do to get through it. How about we break it down to just this month's challenges?

OK... for October what events, functions, etc. do each of us have coming up that could deter us from either maintaining, or losing? What tools do we think would help us overcome some of these hurdles? And what can we do to reward and motivate ourselves to make this worthwhile?

For me, October has a visit to parents in Florida, DH going away again to help his family, lots of stress and pressure work-wise... quotas I'm expected to meet, networking events, etc. - all these make me want to escape through food and drink.

Tools: I was about to blithely say again this online site - without really focusing on how critical both online and WW support really is. I want to focus on this commitment day by day.

Another is planning ahead, ugghhh! I want to put it out there that I'd like to really stick to staying on or under points range for the next two weeks - to see if I can break the 135 lb. barrier.

Rewards: saving banked and activity points this month - counting them as dollars, and buying myself a treat at end of October. (this may only total to the cost of a new book - but I looove to read so this would work.)

What's on your challenges, tools, rewards list?
Old 10-01-2001, 05:12 PM   #2  

Hi there ladies! Thanks as always Patch for organizing us for the week.

What a beautiful fall day we are having - the weekend was gorgeous as well. The golf courses were crazy!

The challenge for October is Thanksgiving (I'm in Canada eh!). Thanksgiving is this coming weekend and we are going to the lake. As well, it is my 6th wedding anniversary on Oct 7 so it's a double whammy that weekend.

How will I deal with it? Well, my mom-in-law is well-aware of my new approach to food and eating in general and she has been great. I will just take it easy and do what I always do - think before consuming. And, I will be sure to take a couple of nice loooong walks to burn some extra calories.

The other October event is Halloween - I must be sure to buy candy for the kids that I do not like. In others words - I cannot break down and buy Reeces Peanut Butter cups.

My reward is always buying new clothes - it's actually fun now. Also, I will complete my maintenance this month and that in itself is a wonderful reward.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your responses.....

K
Old 10-01-2001, 05:28 PM   #3  

Wow, Kena you're right about a double whammy. But I love that you M-O-L in so supportive. Much luck and congrats!.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:05 PM   #4  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

I'm fine until Halloween, the sweet food junkie that I am. Then comes Thanksgiving (you wouldn't believe the feast I always cook up even if we don't have much company) and already my son is making sure I'm going to be baking cookies for Christmas. So many expectations, and they all involve food.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:18 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Myra,
you hit it on the head for me.

"so many expectations, and they all involve food"

yup.

I am going to try and curb baking this year, but we'll see. I think I'll make more preserved foods and that will help. We are the big entertainers in our group of friends, so we are always hosting the dinners, maybe we'll make one or two potlucks and some of the stress will be gone.

rewards: at this point losing any poundage would be enough of a reward for me, however, if I can exercise 25 days this month, I'm going to buy myself some of those very cool pull on adidas, nike or puma running shoes. Very hip, very now, very expensive.

lala
Old 10-02-2001, 09:59 AM   #6  

Here's my weekly posting

M --- 19 (banked 6, earned 5 activity points)
T ---- 26 - 1 banked = 25 (now have 5 banked / 5 activity)
W --- 33 - 8 = 25 (used 5 acty / 3 bnkd - left w/ 2 bnkd baad Mexi night
TH --- 19.5 (banked 5 today + 2 rmng = 7 bnkd pts avail)
F ----- 22 (banked 3 -- total avail 10 bnkd)
SA --- 27 - 2 actvy = 25 ( 7 bnked avail / 10 actvy pts left)
SU --- 26 - 1 bnkd pt = 25

Saved total of 16 points = $16 dollars toward October giftie!

Last edited by patch30; 10-07-2001 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:16 PM   #7  

Hi everyone. I guess one of my challenges this month could also be looked upon as a reward. DH has been threatening for years to throw a disco party. Well, it has come to pass and a large crowd of people dressed in 70s attire (which should never again have seen the light of day) will descend on our home Oct. 27th for a Hallowe'en Disco Party. How scarey is that?

The party will be a challenge in that there will likely be lots of high-fat and calorie food (pot luck), but I can also look upon it as a reward because if I work the program for the entire month, I might feel daring enough to wear tight-fitting gold lamé or a pink rubber jumpsuit or whatever other ugly piece of clothing I can unearth between now and then.

As keena mentioned, Cdn Thanksgiving is this weekend, but that should be fairly low key. Then there will be the usual business trips but I have learned how to deal with them for the most part. That's it for me. (Oh, I forgot, using my journal too...)
Old 10-02-2001, 04:12 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Seesaw
I love the idea of a 70's party. I would happily bring my Di Franco family album, my peter frampton and my elton john go go boots!!!

Go for the lame, though the pink jumpsuit may resist stains a bit better .

Yikes, now you are giving me ideas.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:26 PM   #9  

So is it now Disco Boogie time? Too funny Seasaw.

OK so I must fess up - bigtime. I let myself be talked into going to a Mexican restaurant last night by DH and stepson. We were all tired from the day and Jonanthan (stepson) and I additionally, from fleshing out and typing up a 7 page report for the kid...By the time hubby came and helped for an hour we were all exhausted and wanted a treat. I was so aggravated I just let myself go. Huge mistake all around. Not only a major waste of points (although they were tasty) but a waste of valuable time that DH and son needed to finish a school report. I ended up not being able to go to sleep til 11pm and I'm dragging today. Whine whine whine.

Net result? Probably a 40 point day - grrrrrr. I'll have to be extra good for the rest of the week.

By the way Congrats again to Myra on her loss at WW weigh in.

Melissa and Katie you're also doing great and it'll show on the scale next week I'm sure.

Last edited by patch30; 10-04-2001 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:43 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

A major hurdle for me this month will be when I'm off on vacation...I'll be out of town Thursday-Monday and will be sitting for meetings most of the time unless I can figure out a way to get some good walking in. The food will also be a challenge. I know that on Friday night there will be a buffet dinner and on Saturday night cash food bar. I know I'll pack some things to take for snacks and have some low-point items on hand. Halloween isn't too much of a temptation for me as I'm fairly lucky to not have a really big sweet tooth. I know I'll use the following tools: mental rehearsing, self-talk, and I'm sure there'll be others that I'll use. As far as a reward if I can maintain/lose I'm not sure...I'll have to think about it.

Patch: I love a saying my ww buddy has and I've used it on more than one occasion, "Take the hit and move on!" This has helped me on more than one occasion.

Seasaw: A 70's party actually sounds kinda fun. It seems like a lot of the old styles are back in style again anyway.
Old 10-07-2001, 03:21 PM   #11  

Thanks Melissa. I really kept that thought of yours through the rest of this week. It worked.

Well, this week I "earned" 16 banked and activity points not used from this week. So I guess this means I get to put $16.00 toward my gift fund for October. I like this!

Weigh in tomorrow, Mon Oct 8th... We'll see what we'll see. Wish me luck.

Monday, Oct 8 Update: I lost 1.2 lbs! It doesn't feel real. I don't trust it, but that's what the WW scale said... 132.0.

Last edited by patch30; 10-08-2001 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:38 AM   #12  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Here are my numbers for the week. I will report in tonight and tell you what happened at WI. I am hoping to break into the 150s again.

Range 20-25

Mon 25
Tue 17
Wed 25
Thur 23
Fri 26
Sat 26
Sun 23
Old 10-10-2001, 08:54 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Myra: I hope you break into the 150's! Good luck with your weigh in this evening.

Patch: Congrats on hitting 132!! Each time I get close to the 130's I blow it by not staying OP. I need to commit myself to getting in more exercise; I know that's a key factor in getting my weight down.

My numbers for the week weren't bad but I didn't get my water in like I should so I know I'll be up a little this week. The crown I had put on a few weeks ago is sensitive to hot/cold and I've really limited how much water I've been drinking. Anyway, here are my numbers:

Wed: 24
Thu: 21
Fri: 19
Sat: 21
Sun: 21
Mon: 25
Tue: 25

I'll post how I do at my WI later.

UPDATE: I was up 1.2#, which I totally expected due to my lack of keeping my journal among other things. Back on track today I also turned in my form requesting info on becoming a receptionist.

Last edited by MelissaL; 10-10-2001 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:57 PM   #14  
si, si signora

Everyone is doing so awesome, I hope I can get there too.

Thur: 18
Fri: 39.5
Sat: 21
Sun: 21
Mon: 23
Tues: 25.5
Wed: 23 (est)

av: 24.4 , not including activity points earned each day(6/7 days), which range from 2-5.

WI tomorrow: so we'll see

I would hope to be back at my 10% before I leave for DC and start 3 non-stop weeks of travelling, my absolutely worse nightmare.

lala

UPDATE-Thurs AM: Down one whopping lb (454 g)!!!
Yippers.

I can handle that all righty.

lala

Last edited by lalala; 10-11-2001 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:31 PM   #15  

Not much for numbers this week - out of town. I'll report my weigh in later.

Wed: 22
Thur: 24
Fri: 21
Sat-Tues: ??

On a up note, I did exercise everyday.
Closed Thread