Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #1  
here I go again...

Question Weight Lifting Gloves

Does anyone on here use gloves when they lift? I am getting blisters on my palms and my trainer suggested that I get gloves. But one of my coworkers said not to get them because the people that wear them get laughed at... My problem is that they are usually too flashy looking and it's obvious you're wearing them...

Soooo... all else aside, I have two questions:

1) Do you wear gloves? Do they help?
2) Does anyone know where you can buy nude-colored gloves? I can only find half-black/half-tan gloves online...

Thanks for your input!!!

Happy lifting!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #2  
Mel

I always wear gloves. I get enough callouses just demoing exercises and handing dumbbells to clients. I have white ones which get progressively grayier until they fall apart. I've never seen anyone laugh at another gym member for wearing gloves, male or female.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Yes, I wear black, fingerless gloves. I saw a woman at my gym wearing them, and thought, wow, I need some of those so I purchased a pair. The gloves have saved a lot of wear and tear on my hands. I've also never known anyone to laugh at someone who wears gloves. IMHO, they're the mark of someone who is serious about weight lifting.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #4  
gea

I also wear gloves, they really help my hands to not get callouses.
gea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #5  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

I also wear gloves.

Think of it this way. I have seen people wipe down the machines when they are done, but I never never seen anyone wipe off a set of dumbbells and I'd rather not have their sweat on my hands.

Last edited by RockerGirl; 10-05-2006 at 11:00 PM.
RockerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #6  

I use gloves if I am working on machines or equipment, like bars or heavy dumbbells. If my routine is limited to just vinyl coated dumbbells or adjustable weights with padded center bars, then I find I don't need the gloves. But I agree that I see them alot and have never seen anyone snicker about them.
frankie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Think of it this way. I have seen people wipe down the machines when they are done, but I never never seen anyone wipe off a set of dumbbells
Ewwww, I never thought of this! I always wipe down the cardio machines (besides we have wipe-down-the-machines-**** at our gym), but you're right, I've never seen anyone wipe dumbbells or even any of the weight machines. And I've seen one guy in particular who gets absolutely soaked doing cardio (like you could wring a quart out of his t-shirt) get off the cardio machine, wipe it down, and immediately use a ball for ab work! He never wipes it down that I've seen!

Sorry, just got a little off topic there. I have gloves, but most of the weights I use are either vinyl coated or very smooth - like stainless? - and nice to use. There's a whole set from 8# to about 40# in a separate area that I hardly see anyone else using - works great for me!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

I've never heard of anyone being laughed at for wearing weightlifting gloves. Your co-workers must have been thinking of mittens.

Personally, I don't wear gloves simply because hands don't blister that much. Plus I have an odd affection for the callouses I obtain.
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #9  
Meg

I agree with the others ... having spent probably thousands of hours in a gym in the past few years, I've never heard of anyone laughing at someone wearing gloves. Wearing a weight belt to do leg extensions is a whole 'nother story though!

Go buy your gloves -- and get whatever color tickles your fancy.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #10  

Competitive lifters don't wear gloves, whereas bodybuilders and general strength trainees tend to wear them to avoid developing calluses. I don't like wearing gloves, but my wife insists on it.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I used to wear gloves, then I lost them and never bought another pair, too lzzy to buy another pair...I don't have caluses either, maybe I'm not working hard enough ... LOTS of people wear gloves at our gym and no one has ever found that odd or laughed at them...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Wow, I feel underdressed! (Lydia anxiously looking around and noticing that she is one of the few who does not wear gloves)

I have developed very small callouses on only one hand. A few people at our gym do wear them, but many do not. I have been thinking of asking Santa to put a couple pairs in my stocking this year. I'm not so concerned with callouses on my hands but the damage that these crazy dumbbells are doing to my wedding ring... Besides, I think I've earned them. I just dare anyone to make fun of me with gloves on. I'll whip out my "before" picture so fast they won't know what hit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGirl View Post
I never never seen anyone wipe off a set of dumbbells and I'd rather not have their sweat on my hands.
Oh this so wigs me out when I pick up a set of dumbbells and they are still warm! I just really try not to think about it...

Last edited by Lydia227; 10-06-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #13  
Meg

Aw Lydia, don't feel so alone ... I don't wear gloves either (and I like my calluses ) But I can't lift with my wedding ring on without causing myself severe pain! I never remember to take it off before leaving home, so it always ends up in the cupholder in my car in the gym parking lot -- member ID, check, water bottle, check, iPod, check ... oh crap, forgot to take off the ring again!

Try lifting without your ring - you may decide you don't want gloves after all.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #14  

I have three pair of gloves. Two I keep in my locker, so that I have one pair at the gym when I bring the other pair home to wash. I keep the third pair at home, to bring with me if I go out of town and will be hitting a gym.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

I haven't worn my wedding band for a couple of years because it's too much of a hassle to take it on and off all the time ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote