Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default How do you all deal with the pain???

I had thought of trying to pass on the ibuprofen bc of an article I read recently saying they think that ib might have an effect on muscle growth, repair, or something. So I went to be bed sore, and actually awoke from sleep with the pain and knew I had to take something - it was midnite and I had that panic kind of pain that I associate with labor! No, I didn't pull something, but it was more like that helpless, please stop the pain so I can sleep, sensation. So I took 2 advil. I feel great today but suspect I will be in the same place by evening. My "spa week" is turning out to be fun - I did 45 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, walked about 1/4 mile yesterday while dd rode her bike outside in b/w thunderstorms, and then did 45min of yoga (which killed me after being away from it for a few months) in the evening. In between I did a lot of housecleaning (the anti-spa of my vacation!) and I suspect that is what did me in, lots of crawling around on knees and squatting picking up the girl's bedrooms and a full laundry day. Ugh, between age and out-of-shapedness, it was a bad day!! lol But today I've already knocked out my 45 min on the treadmill, had my protein smoothie, and will do ub tonite.

So back to the question, are you all the ibuprofen poppers that I am? It's going to be a daily habit for the next 2 weeks I fear. It's fine on my stomach, so I don't have that issue, thankfully. And tylenol is totally non-effective, as is a tub of hot water, which only works while in the tub and not afterwards. Thanks.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I used to use ibuprofen all the time for headaches and such like, however it stopped being effective so I took a break from using it.

However, for muscle soreness I just "work through it" I've never been in so much pain that I've had to take any painkillers for it. Sometimes after a heavy leg day it hurts to sit down, but I tend to grin and bear it!

Last weekend was fun, the whole of my back was really sore with DOMS and it hurt to laugh or sneeze or anything involving my lungs! But it felt good and I kinda enjoy the pain

I also find that working through it, with gentle-ish cardio tends to relieve the pain.

Are you cooling down effectively after your workouts? "Active rest" is supposed to aid recovery.

Oh and also, the supplement L-glutamine may help with sore muscles, it's good for repair. (correct me if I'm wrong gals)

That turned into a book!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm sore today and even though I have a LBWO later today, I'm almost dreading it I do like being sore but it is hard when I can't move my arms or anything without a twinge of soreness pain.

My basic answer though is to work through it. I used to take motrin on almost a daily basis for other things (knee pain, back pain) but now I rarely take any painkillers.

Your body will adjust and it will get better. When I first started hiking, my legs would ache for days. Even my recent trip to Montreal caused me some issues just because we walked a lot, up hills, down hills and in the heat. My leg muscles would ache and they would twitch. They didn't know what the **** I was doing

One suggestion: can you fit in a real spa experience into your self-made spa experience? How about treating yourself to a massage? I think any massage except a deep tissue would help your muscles feel a little better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You should find the pain to be less and less over time. The first time I worked out--after years of inactivity--my whole body was sore for days. I could barely walk. But I'd gone through a couple of false starts before, so I knew I would be fine in a week or so. I don't think I took anything. Now the only time I am in pain is if I do something new that increases the intensity of my workouts. If you stepped up the intensity of your workouts for your spa week, that might be why you are experiencing pain. I would expect that your body should adjust and the pain will be less if you give it a week or so.

These days, any pain I have is usually pretty mild, so I don't generally take anything for it. Like 2frustrated said, I sort of like it--it makes me feel like I'm working hard. If for some reason, the pain is more than mild, I'll take some Ibuprofen.

For what it's worth, I have read that drinking water helps. The article said that exercising can release toxins, which cause the pain, and that drinking water helps flush them out. I'm always a little skeptical of advice involving mysterious "toxins," but I suppose it's worth a try.

Also, if you are experiencing regular pain in your knees, hips, or back, it could be your shoes. You might consider going to a store where they have knowledgeable salespeople that can help you find the right shoe. If you already have a good pair of shoes or don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes, you might want to see an orthopedist. My partner has bowed legs and has a little plastic orthotic that he inserts in his shoes that makes a huge difference for him (and he wears the cheapest shoes you can buy). I'm sure orthotics can correct for other imperfections in your stride as well.

I hope you have a massage planned sometime during your spa week! That should help with the pain.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #5  

I try to keep the ibuprofen to once or twice every few weeks. The workouts may tire me out, but if I'm doing anything extra also, then the pain cries for a pill. For example, when I was working out, then painting the bedrooms for 4 hours a day over a two week period.

Most of my pain is age-related. I'm fine moving around, but about 30 minutes after sitting to watch a TV program (or surf the web), I am stiff as a board. The same thing happens at night. I wake up from the stiffness, but I think that's what causes the pain, not the workouts. If I miss a few days in a row, the stiffness is worse.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I thought the stiffness was just me... If I'm sore and I sit around for a while or lay down, when I get up, I'm stiff. My BF calls me "limpy" when he sees it. Funny but not funny Of course, a little walking around and I'm good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #7  

I stay away from taking anything for soreness unless it is my shoulder and that isn't a muscle problem. Also to add to the spa routine, soak in the tub, that may help. I also use Arnica, homiopathic and I find it does help on really tough days, though I don't remember waking up from it. Lots of water of course.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

NBelle - oh the joys of getting older, hmmm? I'm 61 so I know whereof you speak. At work I have to get up and walk around at least once an hour or I am totally stiff - and I do cardio and/or weights most days of the week. I find myself taking ibuprofen only if I can't sleep, because not being rested makes everything worse.

The other issue with ibuprofen is that it seems to cause water retention so if your weighing every day you should be aware of that. Of course, that's when you're taking it regularly over a period of time (i.e. for an injury) not if you take two on the occasional night.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote