Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #1  

Default Anabolic Threshold, Lactate Threshold

We went there in spin class the other day. I'm a glutton for punishment and I loved it the only problem was the recovery from it has been touch. I don't think I have ever trained at that level before and I would love to continue it but I need some tips on recovery. I have been following the South Beach Diet phase I, for anyone who is familiar with it, for the last two weeks, not much sugar stored for the lactate burn and I was wiped out after class, not to mention that I didn't get much sleep the night before. Now that I'm going to be eating more whole unprocessed carbs what is the recommended recovery from training at that level? How often should I train at that level? What should I eat after that? Today I didn't want my legs to be involved in anything. I just did my regular lifting. I do take two Womens Ultra Mega every day. I did start feeling better after I ate today though so I know food has a lot to do with it.

Thanks in advance
Ruthie
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hmm, the two things I would think to look into probably won't work with SBD but I'll post anyway since I don't know a whole lot about the diet. First is having a meal with protein and high GI carbs as soon as you can after the workout. Or you could look into "recovery" drinks. They are just powders which I think are similar to Gatorade but healthier.

Oh and make sure you stretch thoroughly before and after. I used to get soooo sore and fatigued doing an hour on the treadmill until I started stretching and now I don't even feel it.

Good Luck!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

My suggestions are similar to Stacy's warm-up properly, stretch, eat a carb and protein before AND atleast within an hour afterwards. Try Glutamine for muscle soreness and recovery, vitamin C also helps for muscle recovery...Drink plenty of water before, during and specially after your workout....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #4  
Mel

You probably were that tired because 1) you've never done it before; and 2) you don't have much stored glucose in your system while in phase I of SBD. I really wouldn't EVER try a spin class without eating some complex carbs a few hours before the class. Congratulations on finishing! I think you'll enjoy the class and recover a whole lot better if you start with some oatmeal and protein in your body. Pushing the anaerobic threshhold burns carbs and protein more than fat, and you didn't have many carbs in you. The protein you burned was probably your own muscles, which is why you felt so tired and recovery is tough.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote