Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default Another BFL question

I have been going to Curves but started BFL on Thursday. I still have my membership to curves and would like to continue to go. Would it be alright to do that?

If so should I go on the days I do weights or on the days I do cardio??
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #2  
Meg

Are you thinking of Curves in addition to BFL cardio and weights or in place of one or the other? If you could let us know what you have in mind -- like on a weekly basis -- I'm sure you'll get some opinions.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #3  

Meg - I am doing the body for life exercise just as Bill says. 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights. I am doing South Beach for the diet with extra protein thrown in.

I would like to ALSO go to Curves but I don't know if I should give my muscles a break or if it will be okay. I will also throw in some extra cardio when I feel like it because I still have quite a bit of weight to lose.

What do you think?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #4  
Meg

My humble opinion is to nix Curves but cool on the extra cardio. Curves is resistance training, even though it's definitely Weightlifting Lite, and would compromise your muscle recovery between BFL workouts. Muscles grow while you're resting and not allowing them recovery time could negate all your hard work and cause overtraining.

However, it's different with cardio -- one can do cardio every day with no ill effects. A common gripe about BFL is that it's not enough cardio for most women to lose fat, so adding in some extra cardio sounds like a great idea. I recently heard about a study that showed the best weight loss and maintenance is associated with 280 minutes of cardio a week, so there's plenty of room for improvement over BFL's 60 minutes/week.

Best of luck in the start of your Challenge and please keep posting about your progress! I just love a good success story!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #5  

Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it.