Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #1  

Default ??? Body for Life

I have been doing South Beach for 4 months and I really like it alot but I Need to add weights (having been going to Curves). I need to get out of my comfort zone a little. I enjoy cardio but have a hard time with weights. However once I decide to do something I WILL stick with it.

I bought the Body for Life book and want to do this however I want to stick to the south beach way of eating. They look pretty close except I would need to add more protein and more carbs. Would it be possible to stick to south beach??

Also do I have to do the cheat day? I think if I put all that sugar back into my body I will have a hard time with the cravings.

Also what does everyone think of the shakes and bars that go along with this diet? Does anyone have any other recommendations that are better but within the guidelines?

Sorry so many questions.

Last edited by momX3; 11-16-2005 at 03:56 PM.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I think the BFL workout is a good stepping stone after Curves...

Quote:
Would it be possible to stick to south beach??
Yes, I personally think you can do the workout and keep doing the food plan you are doing, no problem, adding a bit more protein is a good idea though. For me adding too many carbs, I gain, I TRY to keep the carbs out of the last meal.

Quote:
Also do I have to do the cheat day? I think if I put all that sugar back into my body I will have a hard time with the cravings.
NO you do not have to do the cheat day, I feel the same as you do that if I eat too much sugar it just sets me back on my focus, plus, IMHO it sets you back from losing weight too...

Quote:
Also what does everyone think of the shakes and bars that go along with this diet?
I have a whey protein shake a couple of times/day. I buy the whey protein powder at GNC and add my own fruits, strawberries or banana, or whatever fruits meet my fancy... The bars, I keep away from they make me sleepy so they must have some hidden sugars in them, the protein is also very low grade and gelatins, YUCK ...

My recommendation is, try it and see ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #3  
Mel

Hi
I agree completely with Ilene; you can do Body for Life and eat SouthBeach-style. Add a little more protein to the day, other than that it's pretty similar.

For me, free day was the worst idea ever invented. I'd been sugar-free for almost a year before I did BFl, and free day re-started all my bad sugar binging behaviors. One free day can completely negate any progress you make during the week.

You don't need to to shakes or bars at all. If you can manage to get real food for all your meals, so much the better. I use a protein shake once a day (SAN Anabolic Infusion) because I can't eat while I'm working in the mornings. I make my own protein muffins for my afternoon meal.

Unless you have a considerable amount of weight to lose, most of us who've done BFL (women) find that 5 meals works better than six.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #4  

Thanks so much for all your help. I feel alot better about the whole "eating" thing now. I did buy a few bars to try and some of the body for life premade shakes for those times when I can't eat all of the meals.

I want to lose at least another 50 pounds. I am 5'6" and would like to weigh no more than 150 as I am pretty solid. It might be nice to eventually get to 130 or so.

Thanks Ilene and Mel again for your help and I'm sure once I start the whole thing I am going to have lifting questions for you.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #5  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Unless you have a considerable amount of weight to lose, most of us who've done BFL (women) find that 5 meals works better than six.

Mel
What do you mean by this? If you have more weight to lose then you should eat more?? I have a lot of weight to lose but it would probably be easier for me to eat five meals than the six.

Hi , BTW my name is Tracey. I just jumped in here and didn't even introduce myself. My brother has had the BFL book in the house for the longest time and now that I am serious about losing the weight I really want to include lifting in my exercise routine. (I have to get the weights first but that's another story.) I'm in the process of reading the book now but I would love the input of you guys that have been doing this a while. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #6  
Mel

I'd suggest that you also get a copy of Dr. Pamela Peeke's Body for Life for Women.

Those of us who did BFL close to our goal weights or with less than 15 pounds to lose, found that for most of us, it was too much food and too little cardio to lose much weight. Personally, I gained a few pounds, but lost body fat and looked a lot better.

At your starting weight, I think BFL as written would be fine.

and

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote