Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #1  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Suggestions for lifting newbie & BFL

Hello all!

I have recently become interested in lifting and bodybuilding. However, I am currently extremely overweight. I am 5'3" and 215 lbs. I been looking around and I think the best approach to removing weight is to build muscle because muscle helps to burn fat. My ultimate goal is to have a sculpted muscled body and I am here to learn more. I just ordered the Body for Life kit online and I am looking forward to starting. I have been on other diets that just really have not motivated me past a few days.

Has anybody else done BFL? Have you been successful? I read the BFLFW book, but not the original book. Is it any better? I will be starting to work at a new gym in town within the next month, so I will be able to purchase a membership at a discount and I will always be there.

Has anybody else succeeded with this much weight to take off? I want to be fit and firm and happy again.

Thanks for listening.
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #2  
one fat penguin.

Hi and welcome.
There are a few on here who really like the BFL for women book. I am not one of them. I like the original one much more.

I have done BFL off and on. The first time was back in 99/00 and did really well on it. Since then I have done different programs but always seem to come back to BFL.

I am actually doing it right now. I started April 18th. I have a thread on this board ( it's called "all about me"). I posted my 2 week weigh in and measurements there.

Good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions.
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi there Ladyfyre!

Expect a warm welcome from Ilene soon. As I am sure she will say, we all love new people here and are glad you are posting. A lot of people on here have done BFL and they have TONS of information on the program. I have never done a BFL challenge but do lift weights regularly and follow a eating plan that focuses on building muscle. We have a main thread, that we post to weekly so feel free to join us over there.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  

Welcome, lf!

I am only halfway through the BFLFW book, but so far I agree with Bella. The original book is less complex and the plan is easier to grasp. I haven't done pure BFL with the food plan, but I do use the lifting schedules a lot and have seen good results. The folks here have a ton of information on weightlifting and diet, so jump in and ask questions and you'll be amazed what you learn.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #5  

I just want to welcome you to the LWL - we are glad to have you. BFL gave me the courage to start this journey, though I have hired a personal trainer. Same idea, though - build the muscle while losing the weight. It is a 3-pronged approach based on eating "clean" most of the time, lifiting weight and cardio to burn fat. You can do this, and we are here for you.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #6  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the information. I think I will pick up the original BFL book tomorrow. One question - how do you measure body fat without having to go to a gym and have some stranger pinch your fat? Is it possible to do it at home?

What does eating clean mean? Thanks
Stacie
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #7  
Mel

Hi Ladyfyre
It's not really possible to get a very accurate measure of body fat without a caliper pinch test, or underwater weighing. There are several tape measure methods, but none are accurate unless you have an "ideal" distribution of fat, and they don't take different amounts of muscle into consideration at all. All of them are based on an average body for the age you input. At this point, does it really matter?

Eating clean means something different for each person. Generally, it means eating the least processed food possible, and on plan. For me, that means lean proteins, low glycemic fruits and carbs, lots of vegies, no added sugars or corn syrup, and no wheat products. Others eat wheat, high glycemic fruits. If you are going to do BFL, there are several pages of "clean food" choices.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Ladyfyre

WELCOME we just LUVS NEWBIES .....

I really am honest about that too, I love to get someone addicted to weight training, exercise, healthy eating and to see their progress... You'll just blossom...

Meg has lost I think 120# and looks awesome and so has Karen aka MrsJim, so it certainly can be done with steel determination and hard work of course. Stick with us and we'll walk you through it for sure!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote