Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Bulking Up With Weights

If I had a dollar for every time a woman has told me that she doesn't want to lift weights or lift heavy because she doesn't want to "bulk up", I'd be rich. I'm betting we've all heard it, right? Especially Mel the trainer -- the trainers in my gym tell me that every single woman who comes in says:"I don't want to bulk up". Honestly, some women seem to be more concened about being "bulky" than remaining overweight.

Today at my gym I met the poster child for "women can't bulk up with weights". I've watched her working out for a while now but hadn't ever talked to her. She's mid-30s, maybe, with a beautiful body -- lean, lovely muscle definition, full six-pack -- and she's tiny -- a size 2 - 4. Any of us would kill for that body.

So today we're both in the weight room and she's doing DB curls with 30s and 35s -- nice sets of 8 - 10. With these gorgeous, feminine arms! So I had to tell her that she's my hero and why -- because she lifts heavy and is so lovely. Totally the opposite of "bulked up".

I try to tell people that the heavier I lift, the smaller I get -- that most women don't have the hormones necessary to grow big muscles -- that the hugely muscled female bodybuilders are all on steriods. But she's the picture that's worth a thousand words! I only wish that I could grab anyone who's worried about bulking up and show her this woman and say: "See! See! This is what lifting heavy will get you!"

BTW, she was so touched that she hugged me and said that she had goosebumps on her arms -- and I was afraid that she'd think I was some kind of .

Just had to share.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

You are aren't ya? THAT's why she had goosebumps!!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

Yes, this bulking up theory drives me nuts too, and I'd be very rich also if I had a dime for every woman who has said this to me...

What many women don't realise is that as they are building muscle they still have a layer of fat on top of the muscle and this fat is what is making them look "bulky" so to speak. They should look closely at their nutrition rather than stop doing weights...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #3  
Mel

You're not kidding- I hear that from every woman who walks into the gym, because unless they are already ripped, I get all the women. I've never seen anyone get bulky except my 1 client who refuses to diet because life is too short and now is complaining that her uniforms (flight attendant) don't fit in the arms because she's lifting too heavy. She then tells me of every glorious meal she had on her last flight to Paris, Amsterdam, Rio, etc.

I love glorious meals, too. I totally understand the feeling that life's too short to live on eggwhites, broccoli and oatmeal, but every day can't be free day.

"Bulk" is generally fat on top of muscles. Before anyone starts screaming, I know some people develop muscle faster and larger than other people. And yes, there are some hormonal conditions such as PCOS that are the exception to the rule that women just can't bulk up. But I've been trying to grow great shoulders and calves for the last 3 years, lifting as heavy as I can and usually heavier, and it's just not happening!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #4  

Default question

hi ladies,

i have a question maybe you can help me, or rather my sister.
here's her dilema:
she wants to lose 5 lbs. i think she should lose 10 but she doesn't want to lose too much because then her small breasts will just get smaller. now i don't think that's a big deal but i'm not credible because i don't have that "problem". she has a pear shape body and ideally would like to lose the fat on her butt, hips and thighs but apparently that's not possible.

she's been weight lifting and walking on the treadmill for about a month about 3 times a week. we are now starting to look at her diet. she's not fat and doesn't over eat or binge or anything like that (she's 5'6" and at 140lb she's at her biggest besides pregnancies. she's always been about 135-130lbs) so far she hasn't lost any weight but she is getting bigger, her clothes are getting too tight. if she is building muscle and doing cardio why isn't her metabolism going up and burning the fat? and if women can't beef up why is she getting bigger?
i've been told before that she could work her shoulders to even out her body but she says her shoulders are already big enough, runs in the family. arg she's giving me a headache just thinking about it.
is she an impossible case or what? any advice?

thanks a lot
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #5  
Meg

Gen — I don’t know for sure what’s going on with your sister, but here’s a couple of thoughts:

First, if she's lifting weights and getting bigger, it's probably for the reason that Mel said: she’s building muscle which is pushing out the existing fat she has on her body and it makes her look larger. The way to solve that is to lose the fat layer on top of the muscle. If she’s doing cardio and weights, the next place to look is diet, like you said. No matter how hard she works in the gym, she has to take in fewer calories than she burns off in order to lose fat. You can completely sabotage all the cardio and weightlifting with what and how much you’re eating. Perhaps you could suggest to her that she track what she’s eating in something like Fitday (www.fitday.com) for a week so that she can get a sense of where her calories are? She may need to cut back some in order to create a calorie deficit and burn the fat off.

Second, she’s really close to her goal weight (5-10 pounds away?). A lot of us discover that the fat that’s left on our bodies when we reach goal isn’t evenly distributed — sometimes everything that’s left is around the abdomen or upper thighs or other places — for me, it’s all in my legs. Even at goal, I’m shaped like a bowling pin — my legs are disproportionately heavy compared to my upper body. I swear that I could be at 10% body fat and I’d still have fat calves. That’s just the genetic distribution of fat in our bodies and there’s not a whole lot we can do to overcome it. Unfortunately we can’t pick which parts of the body that the fat comes off — like, “I’ll take 10 pounds off the hips and none off the boobs, thank you very much.” (I wish!) So … she may always be pear-shaped, even at her ideal weight.

Hope that helps a bit!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

What Meg said! (and what Mel said).

I started a thread last week here in LWL about "calories DO count". SO true - especially when you're trying to lose bodyfat, nutrition is probably going to account for 80% of your results...

Just as proof of that - I've been a member of my gym for over 10 years now, been working out in the AM for 8 years or more...there are folks who have been going there nearly as long - or as long - as I have. Several of them could obviously lose some poundage - some more, others less - and even though they come to the gym faithfully just about every day - like I do - and spend at least an hour on the machines and working out, many of them have made no discernable changes in their body composition. I suspect that this is due to NUTRITION. There's a Starbucks and Noah's Bagels right across the street from the gym, and often on the weekends (I go in a bit later than I do during the week) I'm on the elliptical and see other members walking across the street after their workouts to get their bagel and cream cheese and latte...

God knows, I wish that the nutrition part wasn't such a big deal, because I love food - but it's best to face the facts and deal with them accordingly.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #7  

Default Happy Tuesday!

Hi everyone!

How goes it?
Thanks very much for the positive feedback on the pics. Much appreciated. Lord knows I could use some improvement (true for everyone) so I am here for inspiration and you are all just wonderful. I thoroughly enjoy the inspiration on this board!!

Speaking of inspiration, I put up a pic of the winner of my last show for you. Absolutley flawless symmetry... http://www.twixpix.com/emeraldcup/04...C04F26_03.html
and a very nice gal too.

I need mo muscle.. mo muscle... mo muscle...and I need to stay away from the damn candy! 'we' (mostly me) finished the box last night and thankfully it is gone. I am still holding steady . In order to do well at this show I need to come in about 8 pounds less (or 3% Bodyfat) than I was at my last show. Beleive me those few pounds (few percent BodyFat) makes a big differance on my frame.

I envy all of you who have lost weight recently and manage to consistantly eat so clean. Diet IS a huge part of success (as eluded to by Mrs. Jim and others and this is my personal area of struggle. There is no question in my mind that I would be more muscular, lean and symmetrical if I ate clean more consistantly. It is an undeniable fact. The very reason I came on here.....
The otrher thing I think I mentioned before is that since those pics were taken, I have had my very large breast implants removed(actually 5 months ago). I was hearing that it was too much from the judges (and frankly it was uncomfortable in my personal life as well). So I am now a b/c cup whereas in those pics I was a DD, My upper body looks much more athletic just from the removal as well as my upper to lower body ratio. My next show will be my first time on stage without 'them'...
It will be interesting..
Today I have had my protein shake and am currently eating my lo-carb high protein yogurt. I think I can..I think I can....

BTW: I never did order my Myostat that I was going to awhile back...I should do that today. It may help me the the gym....

You guys are awesome...

XOXO
L2L

Last edited by luv2lift; 07-20-2004 at 01:04 PM.
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote