Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-04-2004, 01:52 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default question about article

Quick question: Is there any truth to this article? I thought you all would be the best forum of women to ask. Thanks

http://www.femalemuscle.com/medicine/larrypepefm7.htm
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I have done both. I've weight trained first and then did cardio and I now do cardio before I weight train. I like the latter better and I will tell you why. For me, after weight training I am tired and don't feel like doing cardio so I am more likely to skip it. However, when I do cardio first, even up to 45-55 minutes worth, I can ride my endorphin high right to the weight section and put in a good weight training session. AND I lost weight and built muscle doing it. Others will say they do the opposite for various reasons but we all agree on one thing. No matter which way you choose to do it, what counts most is that you DO weight train and you DO cardio. Which order you do them in doesn't matter as much as whether or not you do them both.

MTC.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Tiki -- thanks for the response. I can't say I really weight train as much as I think I just do a few reps. "Training" has this massive connotation for me. I do 3 sets on 4 or 5 machines and that's about it. I don't have a trainer to tell me if I am doing the appropriate excersises and I use the same machines all the time. I've lost 53 pounds in 14 months. The last 25 due to the incorporation of excerise with better eating habits.

Currently, I do cardio for 35 minutes and then my weights. It's been working for me and I can feel the fact that I might be too tired after weights to do cardio. Maybe I will doing arms, cardio, then legs tonight when I hit the gym.

Thanks again for answering!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Tiki and Jenne

I do weights first for the opposite reason Tiki does it second... I want more energy for my weight training... I just like to build my muscles first... I've gone into a mind set that I do not skip cardio if I'm at the gym no matter what anymore, since I'm there I'm going to do both... but I wasn't always like that... It used to be that I could skip cardio anytime...

Tiki said it best: ...what counts most is that you DO weight train and you DO cardio. Which order you do them in doesn't matter as much as whether or not you do them both. 'nuff said....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #5  
Mel

I agree 100% with the article, and am constantly after my clients who do an hour of elliptical before they drag themselves over to the weight area.

If you do your cardio first, you may by flying on an endorphin high, but your muscles are powering themselves by burning muscle. You need the glycogen in your liver to lift.

I've seens plenty of people do this, and some succeed in their goals of both burning fat and building muscle as Tiki says. But keep in mind you have to know your own body: there are some people that can put on muscle just by looking at a dumbell. If yo tend to build muscle easily, it probably doesn't matter unless you are seriously trying to build muscle mass. But if you've been training for quite a while and muscle gains are coming slowly, or you don't put on muscle easily in the first place, hit the weights FIRST and separate your weights and cardio sessions.

HTH,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #6  
Running Babe

I am not a trainer, but I have read somewhere if you are going to both on the same session, not only do you get more muscle benefits by WT first, but your cardio benefits more since you're body is more warmed up and will burn fat better. Of course this could be an gym legend, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:58 AM   #7  

I dont like to do my cardio after I do weights because I almost always get the "smell of ammonia" sweat from beginning to metalobise proteins (ie using muscle) and I do NOT want to slam a protien shake before I start doing cardio.. tis a great way to get sick *barf*

Im do my cardio first these days, and then do weights (if Im doing light walking cardio, I do that afterwards with no ill effects). I try to make sure I start my cardio on an empty stomach (no eating for 2-3 hours before I start) and then if Im STARVING I drink 1/2 a serving (10g) of protein and eat 1/4 of an apple before I start weight training. keeps my energy up (as mel says, you need glycogen to train).

Maybe not the best, most efficiant sicentifically proven method, but it works for me.

Tidey
Tideypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

In the past I'd been doing cardio first or on alternate days...but the past few months, I started doing cardio *after* weights. My reason for doing cardio first? Because all of the GOOD machines were occupied by the time I finished lifting!

Now it's not as much of a problem - mostly because two major gyms opened within a 5-mile radius (a Gold's and a JCC). Since they're brand-spankin' new, they're a bit nicer and are offering 'grand opening' deals...there's definitely been a noticeable drop in the number of folks at my 24 Hour Fitness. Not enough for them to go out of business, but enough where I don't have to wait for a Precor elliptical - at least not very long

So now I generally do 30 or 40 minutes of weights, followed by 25 or 30 minutes of cardio. Except on Thursdays, where I do 50 minutes of cardio and some abs.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

Tidey! I know the ammonia problem. But it happens for me in cardio whether I lift first or not. (Which I am not lifting right now at all until I'm released from surgery) Do any of the trainers here have info on that? I've tried eating carbs before, it doesn't seem to help. Bloodwork is ok for liver/kidney function.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I get that taste in my mouth too... I'm not sure if I'd call it amonia but it's like a metalic taste to me...

I seem to get it when I haven't eaten enough... Once this week I got it when I had one meal under my belt in the AM and I had eaten 2 hours before the gym... I noticed I didn't get it the two times I went to the gym when eating only a half hour before the gym, with 2 meals under my belt, in the after noon... Does that make sense?

I THINK it has something to do with not eating enough protein and burning muscle instead of fat when you're working out...

I'd love to know the answer to that one too.....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:24 AM   #11  
Mel

Usually the metallic taste and ammonia smell are an indication that your body is in ketosis- you are burning either fat or protein rather than gycogen. There are a lot of low and no carbs diets out there that aim to put you and keep you in ketosis, either for the duration of the diet, or for short amounts of time. If you are low carbing, this is why you are smelling/tasting that way.
If you aren't low carbing, I have no idea

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #12  
Meg

I frequently have this happen to me after a long cardio session, but don't really low-carb it so doubt that I'm in ketosis. I've tried to find answers and never have seen anything definitive. I just ignore it now.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #13  
WW Moderator

Well I did it when I low carbed, but I still do it now. I've read a couple of different theories (other than liver failure, lol) and none of them seem to explain it. (Overtraining, too high protein, etc) I'm eating BFL these days, but it still happens. This is ammonia, not ketones. I think I breath it out when I'm running on the treadmill. I also usually smell it in the shower if I take one right after working out. My husband and son can smell it when they come in the room, but put me in another room after exercise, dripping with sweat, and they can't smell it on me or on my clothes. The only thing I haven't tried is carb loading right before cardio - well that I know of, there surely are more solutions out there. I'll just keep working out in solitude until I figure it out.

I usually work out in the AM on an empty stomach. Maybe I'll try eating beforehand. Which just brings up another dilemma of am I burning fat or not in cardio. I don't mind the smell, I've been banished to the basement for exercise anyway, but it would be so nice to go to a gym and use better equipment.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Jack, maybe it's an adrenaline thing. I'm scared to fly and cologne, nail polish, etc. makes me spin in airports and on planes. Pretty much anytime I am in an anxious situation I am more sensitive to things.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #15  
WW Moderator

Maybe it's both! Jack, I looked around and didn't find anything on perfumes and exercise, so I've probably got a bad theory.

As for ammonia:

9/10 Googles point to Jeremy - :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

And here is a bunch of different theories (and they talk about bad
breath, and I'd just like to say in advance I have minty fresh breath
and excellent oral hygiene so please don't get any gross visuals on
me!)
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-108121.html

And this one points to overtraining:

http://www.transitiontimes.com/views...al=Mississippi