Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #1  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Default LWL #147 --- Week of March 22-28, 2004

Top of the morning to you!

JC
Old 03-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #2  

Back at ya, JC!

Yesterday was a good day for me. Did dumbbell squats followed by treadmill lunges. I wish I could do more lunges but my right knee says otherwise, and I'm not going to push it. Dang, because I can really feel them work! Just cardio, pilates and abs on the agenda today - and lots of clean, good food prepared.

Hoping to take a trip down to the lake some time this week depending on DH's schedule and projects at work. We need to bring home the sails, cushions and stuff like that to get cleaned while the boat bottom is being painted. Still no date when it will be ready for the water. I told DH he could name this one because I named the last one. But he did take one of my suggestions, although not my favorite - Knots So Fast!

Well, off to cruise the forums and delight in this day. Have a great Monday and start this week off with a bang. Check back later. . .

dip
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 AM   #3  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Talking G'day!

Hey everyone! I have been MIA lately... feel recovered from my 2 week sickie, rejuvenated and ready to get back to the last 4 weeks of BFL for sure!

famous people - - more than one has said I look like Drew Barrymore and it used to s**t me until Charlie's Angels and I relate to her character, yep... I would be driving a monster truck and wearing the AC/DC shirt. Otherwise I would say that is the only resemblance I have ever encountered. Other than some zombie in the morning! The ones from 'Thriller'.

happiness - - sounds really weird but my happiness comes from adrenalin. The motorbike now, the horses at the farm growing up, dirt bikes, skido's, skiing, fast V8 cars, skydiving... I have calmed down alot with only the road bike, but with a track day at Phillip Island booked for Easter, I can feel that feeling of excitement. Always safety in mind, I am a cautious adrenalin junkie if that makes any sense. I get a thrill at half the speed the nutters are at!! I have started journalling, although inconsistent efforts, it is coming along with time. I also like crosswords, and other word type games, usually found in your daily paper! Such a geek. And of course this guy I married, funny how most people think we are just good friends, then find out we are actually married and get along 99% of the time. I know that moving across the ocean was the best decision I ever made. And it may sound weird, or that I am a saddist but I really love my job. It is a geeky role, a PR princess and a number cruncher all rolled into 8 + hours a day I spend away from home. Wish more of it rolled into my home life, I could use some of the organisation I have at work right here! I shut my brain off too much I guess!

Monday was my first day back at the gym after 2 weeks. Did my cardio on the bike to make sure I did not push too hard. Got a nice walk in during lunch today and the eats were clean! Feels awesome being on track again. I was not too bad while I was sick, still had my free day meal and kept on plan during the week, which in itself is a miracle.

Well chickadees... I am off to bed cause it is an early one for me to get to the gym before work. The car is off to get a service tomorrow morning. I hate those times, I know there will be work needed and we are scrimping every penny we have for our house deposit!! Arrgghh. Oh well. such is life eh?

Have a great day everyone!
Nola.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Nola -- Nice to see you are up and about and feeling much better!

Dip -- Great name for the bateau!

Meg - to you girl, don't burn in the Florida :sun: ...

Today will be a good day! I can feel it in my bones! That and I'm totally annoyed at the scale because it's up 5#...argh!!!!!

On the agenda today, legs! Stretch! Maybe some light cardio depending how the legs feel...

Later all... Lets be careful out there!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #5  
Meg

Legs for me too later today, Queen Ilene, though I'm somewhat limited by the hotel exercise room. Did a half hour on the treadmill already. I managed a decent arm workout yesterday after we got in from the Kennedy Space Center. They have cables here (which I love) so I did cable bar curls, then the double biceps ones, then a combo of one-arm curls, reverse curls and whatever you call it when you turn around and do tri's with the cable over your head. And pushdowns, then finished off with some DB stuff. I'm running around sleeveless in this sunny weather and boy does that focus one's attentions on arm workouts!

I'm glad you're feeling better and getting back into your routine, Nola. I guess I'm a geek just like you cuz I love crossword puzzles and all of those too.

Dip -- are all boat names puns or double entendres? Seriously, is it some kind of unwritten boat rule? I've seen such clever names and can't figure out how people think them up. I guess my boat would have to be Fat Aweigh .

JC -- your enthusiasm is positively contagious -- sounds like you are on a roll these days!

Wish I could magically transport every one of you down here so we all could hang out by the pool (with hunky guys bringing us drinks with little umbrellas in them) and we could just talk and talk ... it would be SO fun ...
Old 03-22-2004, 09:19 AM   #6  

Morning everyone! Had a good UBWO last night, nice and sore this morning...just the way I like it

Meg - a pool with hunky guys and little umbrellas doesn't sound too bad to me...dang, why hasn't someone invented transports yet!

Nola - glad to hear you're feeling better. And way to go on eating well durring it. I know for me sickness is the thing that tears my healthy eating apart!

Dip - just curious...Knots so Fast you said wasn't your favorite...what was your favorite?

Ok, well hello to everyone I didn't mention! Have a great week!

Melissa
Old 03-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Cool

Hi everybody! I haven’t been posting much (when do I ever? I guess I’m just not very talkative lately) but I’m as usual trying to read everything and gain from the wisdom of the LWL. I mean, not gain.

I’ve been super-busy doing work/school/home stuff lately, and just filed my income tax return. I’m also trying to organize my finances and work on a new budget to get my spending under control, and I’ve been thinking a lot about the similarities between budgeting and dieting.
Take in less energy than you use up / Spend less money than you bring in
Fitday is for food like Quicken is for money.
I can't remember what the other brilliant comparisons I thought of are.

Have you guys seen Krista’s March update on Stumptuous? fat or fit? fat and fit? Very interesting stuff, as always.
Quote:
So what does all of this mean? The conclusion is sort of boring, really. In my experience, what I have found is that people who eat well and exercise as a means of achieving self-care and wellness succeed. People who eat well and exercise only as a stopgap for their bad habits ("I ate an apple, now I can eat a cookie", or "I walked on the treadmill so now I can belt back this fifth of JD") do not. And by succeed I do not mean squeezing into a size 4. I mean living life happily and healthily, at whatever size that is. If your bodyfat level is having a negative impact on your health and athletic performance, then consider dealing with it through positive fitness and nutritional practices. If you are fit, meeting all your goals, kicking *** in your medical tests, and feeling great, then keep doing what you're doing!

Exercise and eat for health and wholeness, whatever your size or shape. Remember that one day you might need to move a couch or run for safety on short notice.

Take care of your body because you love it, not because you hate it. Be fit and well in the way that works for you. Don't participate in self-delusion, but don't beat yourself up either. Care for your insides and your outsides. And of course, eat your veggies because hey, mom was right, they are good for you.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Morning all,

Nola - glad to see you up and moving.

Meg - BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!!!! I'm kind of man-hating today, but the drinks with little umbrellas sound GREAT!!! I would just beat the crap out of the hunks so I'll pass on that part.

Ilene - you know the deal with the scale so DON'T get caught up in that. AND if I post the same thing in the future, remind me of what I just said, okay?

Dip - you said you was starting off this week with P&V. Your post only sounded like the P part. You owe us some V so get crackin okay? Good job on having your good foods already prepared. That is one area I am so weak in. I NEVER cook ahead of time.

I hit the gym at 4:30AM and put in 45 minutes on the track at a pretty good pace. Also hit backs and abs today. My legs are still sore from Saturday's leg workout. I looked at the stumptous site - dork/diva section and have improved my form on my squats. Combine that with dumbell lunges and it makes for one sore tushy! Thank goodness tomorrow is a day off. After 4 straight days in the gym, I need a break.

Oh well, time for more coffee and my water bottle also needs refilling. Hi to everyone else. Kick major booty in the gym and kitchen today okay?

Peace. Tiki.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #9  
cookies are for browsers

Howdy all!!!

I'm really enjoying the springlike weather and I'm making lots of people smile when I ride my pink beach cruiser around town! Ding ding!

Sounds like everybody is staying on track. I'm on my last week of challenge 3 and boy am I feeling it. I'm also fighting tendonitis - my doc took me off UBWO for 2 weeks at least. Big fat bummer, literally. I'm taking the opportunity to check out new and interesting area-specific workouts and also working on core balance with the swiss ball.

I like Krista's blog - good advice. It's definitely a lifestyle, and I'll do well to remember that I feel like mud when I miss a workout.....

Tik, I'm sorry you're not happy with the guys. Just think of them serving you those umbrella drinks, painting your toenails, etc......

Cindy, I bet you look wonderful! Are you going to post pics anytime soon?

Happy Monday to you all,

Jennifa

Last edited by jennifa; 03-22-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #10  

Hi everyone. The sun is shining to beat the band here today, but it's cold. Temp was 20 when I came in; probably low 30s now. Brrrrrrr....

Topaz, thanks so much for posting that excerpt. I hadn't realized Krista kept a blog. I'm headed there as soon as I finish here. Truer words were never spoken!

Ilene, not only did I rack up 35 minutes on the dreadmill this morning, I beat you to a great legs workout. I hadn't really intended to focus on legs today, but when I walked into the gym, it was already packed (how can that be -- it opens at 11:30, and I got there at 11:31 ), so I had to grab whatever machines and weights I could. Result: lots of legs. Did two sets of squats, but could only manage one set of lunges. In any event, I have no doubt I'll be feeling this soon.

Howdy Dip, Meg, JC, Nola (welcome back), Melissa, Tiki (don't be too hard on the guys; fortunately some of 'em ain't too bad ) and Jennifa, not to mention everyone else to come. Hope your week is a hoot.

Hugs,
Old 03-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Robin and Jennifa -

Most days I like men - REALLY LIKE MEN - and therin lies the problem!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Helloo again girls !

Leg workout was great! Cardio :stread: was very short, but worked up a good sweat, and the stretch class was awesome!!

Meg – Sun AND warmth???? What is that???? Sunny here but dang cold!! How was your leg workout?

Melissa – Glad to see you’re hanging in there!

Topaz – you may not post very often but your posts are always very good... I love Krista’s site too... She is so no nonsense....

Tiki – Ok the scale is out the door till Friday AM...

Jeniffa – What is a “pink beach cruiser” ?? Sorry, I’m French, Canadian, and don’t live in nice weather at the moment! Refresh my memory!

Robin – Put up the dukes girls them’s fightin’ words!!! NAW!! Just kidding, glad you had a good workout!

Well later all... Back again later!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:03 PM   #13  
The Salad Guru

Okay, i just wrote out this long post and somehow when i submitted it, it got erased, and now i am annoyed and out of time. so here's the short version:

Glad to see all your pictures you posted in response to my celebrity look-like topic, we're hot mamma's!

Nola, YOU GO GIRL! your like a real Lara Croft- you can do everything! glad your feeling better.

My delights: Mostly God and my family. But also spring and when things go smoothly, and i'm a control freak (wrote a short essay, very eloquent, but you'll never read it cause my stupid computer apparently erased it! )
Oh well

Losing weight not going so good, no workouts for 1 week, feel like a fat slob.
Garage too cold for lifting my weights in there, gym membership expired, no money.

Gotta go!
-E
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Elasky == Hang in there spring is around the corner... Even if you can get a brisk walk in it's better than nothing...

JC == Completely forgot to you on the 10# lost forever!!

Later!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #15  
cookies are for browsers

Airegrrl, grrreat job on the workout!!

Lanaii, I'm going to post my bike as my avatar, so just watch for it. It's so cool but the bike weighs A TON!!! If you are looking for more joy in your life, just go get a fun beach cruiser - the louder the better - put a chrome bell on it and I guarantee you will be smiling ear to ear. It wasn't that expensive, either.

Tiki, I HEAR YA GIRL!!! Men - love em, love em, but sometimes.... grrr!!! Well, we just have to let them spoil us more often, eh?

Celebrity lookalikes? I get Winona Ryder and Diane Keaton a lot, but I've also been told I look like Andie MacDowall (sp?).

But pretty soon I'll be mistaken for Rachel Hunter!! HA!

If anybody has any tips on getting rid of tennis elbow I'm all ears.....

Hi to all I missed, hope you are having a good day!

Last edited by jennifa; 03-22-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Closed Thread