Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default Help With Weight Loss

Hello Everyone!!

I have been a lurker for years on this site and I am just at my wits end with this weight loss thing. I started out at 267 I am currently on Weight Watchers and I have gotten down to 202. I started weight training about 6 months ago, and though I see a huge change in my body I have not lost any weight since May. I do my weight training first and then I do cardio after that. I work out for about 1 hour 4-5 days a week. I do weight training Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I use the leg press, abductor, leg extension etc. I do 3 sets of 20 on each machine at about 75 pounds. That is a lot for me and I can really feel the burn, after that I do 30 minutes of cardio, elyptical machine, run on treadmill, or stair stepper or bike. My question is I still have a lot of weight to loose, should I lay off of the weight training for a while and just concentrate on more cardio or should I refine my eating. I am only taking in 1750 calories a day should I eat more or less, I don't think I can eat any less because I am usually starving on the days I work out. I dont reduce carbs or sugar and I do drink a lot of water, can someone please give me some advice. This has become very frustrating for me!!!

Thanks

Tontoy
242.2/202/160
tontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

Tontoy - first of all, congrats on your weight loss thus far!

You don't say whether or not you've gotten smaller since May. Have you gone down a size (or more) in clothing? Personally, once I got down to about 205#, my loss slowed way down, even though I've continued to reshape my body and go down clothing sizes. You may have seen my post about trying on mediums and size 12s this weekend, and I still weigh 190#!!!! Who would have ever thought that possible!

I can't really explain it - I know I've built muscle with my weight workout, but it can't be that much!

But, because I'm still making progress, I'm not worrying about the scale anymore. I do still think I have 20# of fat to lose, but maybe my body just needs more time to adjust to all these changes before it's going to let go of any of that...

Now, if you have truly plateaued, and have not changed in size in addition to not losing any scale weight, that's a different story. If you're hungry on weight lifting days, maybe you need to eat a little more. Try adding about 200 calories to those days and see what that does. You may have to experiment a bit with things for a week or two at a time, to see what helps.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #3  

Thanks so much Cindy!!!

You are right, I was wearing an 18 in September and now I wear a size 14 pants!!!! My husband says I am so much smaller, everyone says that I look like I wear a 10 but I am still the same weight I was 5 months ago. So maybe I need to stop looking at that darn scale. I keep forgetting about inches, I need to focus on that more and not what the scale says.

Thanks a lot
Old 03-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #4  

Wowee zowee -- from an 18 to a 14! I think that deserves a round of Actually Tontoy, you said it yourself: "So maybe I need to stop looking at that darn scale. I keep forgetting about inches, I need to focus on that more and not what the scale says." I KNOW it's hard, but you can't argue with your results. Keep up the good work.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Take pictures, they are worth a thousand words....And CONGRATS on all that weight loss and sizes going down!

Join us on the main thread too.... WE LUVS NEWBIES!!

Last edited by Lanaii1; 03-08-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #6  

Tontoy - congrats on your weight loss so far but more importantly, your FAT LOSS.
My advice is to kick that scale to the curb and just focus on getting stronger. Building the muscle is what will enable your body to burn more calories whether you are working out or just sitting at your desk. I know it is frustrating when you do a program where you are measured by the number on the scale, but what really counts is how your clothes fit and also, how you look naked. If you are feeling good about those two things (and it sounds like you are) then you're certainly doing something right.

Hope to see you round these parts in the future.

S.
sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 AM   #7  

Hi Tontoy,

Big congrats at you for your success! I agree with everybody, but Ilene said what I think is also the best evidence and that's your progress photos. IMHO, if you're wearing a size 14 at 200#, you're doing fabulous. Forget the scale.

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #8  

Thanks Everyone,

I am going to get a camera and measuring tape