Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #31  

Wow, I only just realized that 'neurodoc' was a more literal username. That's kinda awesome. Thanks for being open to new discussions; now that I'm aware that you're a neurologist, I'm almost tempted to start asking a whole bunch of questions on that as well!

I'll admit, I'm surprised at the statement that ketogenic diets can lead to organ failure. The only potential side effect I've ever heard claimed for long-term ketosis is in regards to kidney failure due to higher protein consumption; and I was under the impression that it's now been proven that high-protein diets don't actually cause kidney damage. Obviously, I'm not a health professional and I don't follow all the most recent publications; I'm always happy to learn new information! Here are links to a few of the reading materials I found, while researching the topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/health/31really.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0216163531.htm

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25

On a personal level, I absolutely agree that a balanced diet is more desirable, but for me that's more in a social/economic application, and because I really enjoy a variety of tasty foods (I don't know enough to comment on the physiological side of things ). I'm glad you also mentioned the adaptive reduction in thermogenesis; I was reading in another thread several posters saying that 'starvation mode is a myth'. While I don't exactly disagree about 'starvation mode' per se (I think that term is ridiculous, personally), there are definitely hormonal/metabolic changes that occur during weight loss and calorie restriction that maybe some people don't credit/realise. Hrmmm, almost tempted to go back and post something there now...

Thanks so much for your response, Andrea - I really appreciate hearing new points of view! (especially when voiced by informed individuals)

Last edited by Defining; 02-04-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #32  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

Congrats on weight training Yeah, I think adding that much weight too quickly - whether it's a man or woman is not realistic.

Good rule of thumb....add weight (2-5 lbs) for any exercise that you can do with good form and the last couple of reps are challenging.

Last edited by JerseyPAGirl; 02-12-2014 at 09:16 AM.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:37 AM   #33  

Your muscles are put under increased strain as you do more repetitions. Over time, this can make them stronger. Try going from two sets of 10 repetitions for each exercise one month to two sets of 12 the next month. In addition, you may execute 3 sets as opposed to only 2 sets.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote