Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default A "weighty" question

I'm well into the NROLW program and making good progress. A lot of the program involves dumbells. I am doing the program at home and am starting to outgrow my 50 pound adjustable dumbells. I've looked for heavier ones and everything I am finding is pretty expensive. Does anybody have any ideas for getting cheaper adjustable dumbells? I am willing to pay something, but what I am finding is between $400-$700 for a set.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have powerblocks, I think they are probably the best deal but weights will be expensive.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #3  

Hi Nelie--I'll check out powerbocks. I'm not sure what those are.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #4  

Nelie-PowerBlocks look interesting. Do you like yours? I am frequently switching between different weights for various exercises during workouts. How quick and easily do these adjust? Can you tell me more about these? They are expensive, but I might try to look for something like this used.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think powerblocks are generally quick to change and gets quicker as you get used to them. You have 2 inside cylinders that give you some more granularity but mostly you'll be using pins to change in/out. I've seen too many Bowflex SelectTech's in stores that were broken to go that route plus the SelectTech's are generally very long. The Powerblocks are shorter, impossible to break but they are still bulkier than normal dumbbells. Also, dumbbells don't generally allow for granular transitions as they start with 5 lb jumps after 15 lbs. Your hands are inside a cage of sorts which seems odd at first but works well.

I'd definitely look for a store that sells them to get some hands on look at them. I think the place in my area was called Fitness Resource but any serious fitness store should have them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I got some dumbbell handles at walmart and I just buy more plates as needed. I believe the handles were $5 each, so $10 for a pair. I bought 2 pairs so I can have two different weight amounts loaded at the same time. The plates there are less than $1 a lb ($.85 I think) but I also get them at a used fitness store called Play-it-again sports for $.65 per lb when they have the weight I need. Some of the plates at the used store are rusted/dirty/ugly (although some you can tell have barely been used) but I just disinfect them really well and spray paint and they look brand new. If you get all the plates used it would be just $65 for 100 lbs worth, or about $85 new, plus the handles.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/180/120

Height: 4'11

You can try Craigslist as well. Lots of people looking to get rid of the reminders of their failed New Years resolutions.
FatSass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Freecycle is good too (and free). You'd be surprised what turns up on freecycle and it doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen people ask for and receive computers and cars... and offers are even more varied. Weight sets and other exercise equipment turns up quite often.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #9  

Thanks for the ideas ladies! Freecycle is particularly intriguing.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

There is also Amazon! Some stuff is not too bad on there, gotta be careful of the shipping though. There are some weights that are free super saver shipping or available for Prime shipping.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote