Starting Weight Lifting without a Personal Trainer

• I recently went to a consultation with a personal trainer only to find that I can't afford it. She did tell me though that to get to my next goal I need to add more weight lifting. Any tips on where to start without a trainer? I have some fitness magazines as reference but I don't want to start with too much or too little.

A little history of me for reference, I'm 150lbs since starting my diet at the beginning of the summer and weighing 182lbs. I mostly run on the treadmill and go to other cardio classes.
  • Personal trainers are usually great at helping with your form so you don't get injured. If you can't afford a few sessions, I'd look into a book like "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". I'd also try to watch videos online for any form you are not sure of. One thing you should be careful about is not rounding your back and keeping your core tight throughout the movements.
  • Here are my go to sites:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ul...ing-guide.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jami...t-phase-1.html
  • You don't necessarily need a personal trainer to get into better shape. I was able to transform myself on my own with a few fitness books, an adjustable dumbbell set and a kettlebell. You can do it!
  • I 2nd new rules of lifting for women
  • Quote: You don't necessarily need a personal trainer to get into better shape. I was able to transform myself on my own with a few fitness books, an adjustable dumbbell set and a kettlebell. You can do it!
    Holy Cow, fitmom, is that avatar you? *jaw drop to infinity*!

what is your routine? Hopefully this will also help the OP and her questions
  • Quote: Holy Cow, fitmom, is that avatar you? *jaw drop to infinity*!

what is your routine? Hopefully this will also help the OP and her questions

Yes, that's me, lol. I did The New Rules of Lifting for Women and am currently doing the The New Rules of Lifting for Abs. I love these programs - they are perfect for the home trainee and/or beginner. And they work too.
  • The New Rules and YouTube will be your guide! Watch people's form and stand in front of the mirror front and side, go slow at first and just work with the bar until you have your form down, then start adding weight to the bar.
  • Starting Strength has in depth information on how to do a low bar squat properly as well as flat bench, row, power cleans and the deadlift. I started with that book, and youtube videos, as well as uploading videos of myself and getting critiques.

i have kids and it isn't feasible for me to get any regular sort of gym time, so we bought a squat rack and a couple oly sets. it is absolutely possible to learn this without personal trainers, but it takes more research.

i would rather have a personal trainer who is experienced in lifting though. for sure. i would trade my pinkie toe for a good oly lifter in town. i would love to learn the snatch, and i just don't want to attempt learning that on my own.
  • Anyone can work out hard and safely without incurring debt to pay for personal training sessions. To adjust your health regimen, whether it be your food or your exercise program, you should always seek a doctor's approval.