Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:11 AM   #1  

Unhappy I need motivation!

Help! I have been doing sooooo well since the beginning of the year and I stepped on that stupid scale the other day and it showed that I have gained more weight (even though I believe alot of it is muscle). I got so down and frustrated that I never saw the scale move. I haven't done any exercise since and have been eating sweets like there is no tomorrow - help me get out of this funk please!!!! Another question I have is I ABSOLUTELY HATE ANY FORM OF AEROBICS and just purchased a mini trampoline do you think this would be ok for my cardio???
Old 04-05-2003, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Schwartzie:

What does the Pants-O-Meter tell you? Are you following any specific plan or free style?

When you say you hate aerobics, do you mean aerobics classes, or any kind of cardio exercise (ie. walking, biking, swimming, roller blading, kick boxing, running)?

BethO
Old 04-05-2003, 08:01 PM   #3  

Thumbs down Been there!

The scale is a *horrible* measure of progress. It can be useful in conjunction with other things (calipers, etc.), but alone, it's readout is worthless. Personally, I have only lost about a pound of "scale weight" since Christmas, but I'm down almost two sizes! I was wearing a snug size 16 jean at that time, and just today, was sporting around loose fitting size 14's in the same brand/style. If you're going to continue to weight yourself, fine (I do almost every day!), but you *cannot* let the scale's readout determine how you will treat your body that day. When I was on Weight Watchers, I did just that. If it was up, I'd practically starve myself for the next few days... if it was down, I'd completely relax and feel free to gorge myself with goodies. If it was *really* up, despite a hard effort, I'd say to myself, "well, my good intentions haven't paid off, so if I'm going to go up, I may as well eat as I please..." Bottom line - if the pants-o-meter is agreeing with you, that's all that matters.

As far as cardio, I used to be the same way. I can't *stand* to do cardio machines at the gym. Once I started taking my workouts outside (walking, running, etc.), I grew quite fond of it. I also take a spinning class at my gym most mornings of the week. The energy in the class is great, and it's a fun place to be at 6am, believe it or not!
Old 04-06-2003, 10:40 AM   #4  

Thanks ladies for your word of encouragement! I am just in a funk right now but I promised myself starting again on Monday (always has to be a Monday ) that I am going to just keep going. And, yes, you are so right about the scale I guess. My pants are fitting much better I guess I am just still so brainwashed by the darn scale. I am not going to weigh myself for at least 3 months. I cannot believe how good of a mood I have been in and how wonderful I felt until I stepped on that darn thing!! I am the same way as far as cardio goes. I love walking outside and jumping on the trampoline (my kids have one outside but I bought a little one for the cold days so hopefully I can see results from that). Thanks again ladies I feel so much better when I woke up today. I am actually looking forward to eating healthy tomorrow (one last binge day today for me ).
Old 04-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

Schwartzie .. to break myself of the scale habit, I had my BF hide mine. I took my measurements, did the "before" pic, and in 4 weeks we'll drag out the scale. I'll weigh, measure, and do another pic, then the scale goes back in hiding for another 4 weeks. Scary!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #6  

Great idea about hiding the scale - I think I will take mine to my sister-in-law's house!! Gee, maybe I should take my little emergency stash of treats too!!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #7  

Very good idea Schwartzie.... don't keep the "emergency stash" in the house......
Old 04-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #8  
Peace with body and soul

I love this site for motivation and wondeful and knowledgeable help and best of all? Its Free!!!!!!
Closed Thread