Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Is there a good technique for dropping the dumbbells

I've reached the point in dumbbell press (flat bench) where I cant sit back up while holding the dumbbells, even with a momentum rock and the bench has nothing to hook my feet on to use the legs to pull me up. When I have a spotter they either shove me up or take 1 but truthfully most of my spotters have a hard time taking one of the weights and I dont have spotters all the time.

I know the guys just drop them. But I am afraid if I try I'll pull something - i.e. straighten my arm past the point I can control the weight down and pull something.

Is there a technique for releasing the weights?

Last edited by ennay; 04-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #2  
threenorns

what i do is i lower them to my abdomen. that's far enough down my body that i can get a momentum rock up and then it's easy to put them down.

if you have the resources, another way is to grab two more benches or two chairs and put them on either side and put the dumbbells on that (bring them to your chest then roll to one side and rest the upper dumbbell, roll to the other and rest the other.

failing those, you might want to consider switching to the cable station.

oh - forgot the rock-n-roll: as you lower the dumbbells, ... it's kind of hard to describe - but as they're coming down, you're going up into a sit and guiding the dumbbells to the top of your thighs.

i'll look for a video to explain it better - here - check the very end of the clip (although the clip itself is impressive) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktKWd8FxDg

Last edited by threenorns; 04-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I need to get them lower - I can do the momentum rock with 35's but not 40's. Yeah...need to slide them to hold my legs down while I sit. I can lower to my abdomen, need to work on the slide.

Guess I'll just have to practice or I'll be trapped under them next time.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #4  
threenorns

while it's not good manners, there are times when i just have to lower them to my chest and just let them roll off and hit the floor.

usually only happens once bef someone - even if it's a gym employee - will offer to spot the next set.

also, you're not supposed to actually REST them on your body *before* you do the rock - you're doing the rock *as they come down* so you're actually using the weight of the dumbbells for you, not against. once you rest them, they're dead weight. as long as they're moving, they're a source of kinetic energy you can redirect as you need.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-06-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #5  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Have you considered moving to a barbell bench? Once I got up to 25s, I moved over to the barbell so I could just rerack it. I don't love benching without a spotter, but I figure I'm not really lifting that much still, and if I have to do the roll of shame, so be it. Also, when benching alone I don't use collars, so I can drop the weight off one side if I have to. I've never had to, but it's an option.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

this is not constructive, but you need a different spotter if they cant handle a 40 pound DB.....
Literally, just lower em to your chest, in a neutral grip/position (like youre doing tricep benchpresses. Takes the fear/ awkwardness out of the wrist position) Then, since your arms are already at your side in a neutral grip (palms facing towards you) you can just lower your arms, like a reverse bicep curl motion, Or you can roll alittle and drop to one side, then the other. let em roll off if you have too.

And im confused. why cant you lower them than bring them to set on your upper thighs so you can sit up?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

heh. 90% of the time when I am in the gym I am the ONLY one there. The rest of the time its my girlfriends and seniors. You only need to know technique to spot, not be able to lift the weight. I've spotted guys doing 300lb bench.

I think I just got stuck today. I think I've been afraid of reinjuring my shoulder/long bicep tendon so I have been really cautious with off plane motion. Like a reverse bicep with way more weight than I can control. I'll practice