Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default Is this the right time ?

Sorry, I probably sound like an old broken record, but...
I would like to start weight training, yet the last time I used resistance & cardio, and my weight loss stalled and for months at 202. In retrospect, I was looking and feeling pretty good, but the scale stayed stuck for months. Finally I got so discouraged that I gave up. Is there a way to keep reducing weight while building some definition, or is it best to wait awhile?
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/178/145

Height: 5'6"

I don't know, but I'd like to find out as well. I keep telling myself I'll hold off the free weights until I've lost another couple pounds, but when I get there I get nervous and put it off again... Seems like strength training would never really be a bad idea if you do it right? I'm too new at this to know but a little research couldn't hurt.
nrz242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

The sooner you start the better! Doing just cardio will cause you to lose muscle along with the fat. The weight lifting will help preserve/build muscle while you lose the fat. You may see a temporary slow down in your weight loss, though as you build muscle your body will become tighter and smaller whether you lose pounds. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat and you will burn a few more calories that way. And when you achieve your goal weight/size, you'll have all those lovely muscles that have been hiding under the fat. Go for it, now!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I started with weights at my highest weight (360ish) and it was the best thing I ever did. If you happen to stall, I'd look at your calories more than the workout you are doing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #5  

I took off 35 lbs to get to the 202, Neli. so I don't think the calories were the issue then....but maybe... it was a while back...you might be right. I rememember going down a size or two, and the celulite went away for the first time in my life, but week after week the number stayed the same.
I am counting every calorie very accurately right now.now...and doing well with that...Im just afraid to spoil it. Maybe after my next weigh in I'll start with someweights, and see what happens.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #6  
Just Me

desperate - in our weight loss, it is normal to reach plateaus. Often plateaus happen because we inadvertently increase our calories or we need to decrease our calories. Weights are a big help in weight loss and also weight maintenance.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #7  

Thanks, Nelie !
Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/153/145

Height: 5'7"

desperate - I lost my first 30 lbs doing only cardio. After that, I incorporated strength training into my routine. The scale didn't move for 3 months. But, in that 3 months time I continued to shrink. I went down 2 pant sizes and went from a 40DD back to my 36C I had always been before my weight gain. My arms were toner and my stomach flatter. After about 3 months the scale started moving again. Hang in there and don't give up. Don't worry about the scale so much. Pay attention to what your body is doing instead.
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Also, after a loss of 35 lbs, you would need to even lower your calories (or increase your activity level) in order to KEEP losing weight. Without that, you will stall, which was more likely the cause and not the weight lifting. As you decrease in size, your body needs fewer calories to maintain - thus unless you lowered them again, you would not continue to lose. I think that's probably what happened.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I started weights from day one, along with cardio. I gained 5 pounds the first month, but it mostly stayed steady after that. I did have a month on a plateau, but just stuck it out. Weight training will do nothing but good for you, in the long run...and if you hit a plateau, you just push right on through...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #11  
No description available.

It is always the right time for weight lifting.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #12  

Sounds like what I experienced, Bobo....I was working out for 90 minutes, 6 days a week so it made a big difference in my appearance and strength ....I am so psyched that you did finally start to lose weight .....Thankyou ! I know the scale shouldn't matter so much, but at 220, I needed to hear that.....
Marie
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #13  
Just Me

I kind of had the opposite thing happen to me. I could barely walk due to a recent knee injury when I decided I was finally going to lose weight. So I did weights. I did weights for 3 months and lost 75 lbs. After about 3 months, my knee was healed and strong enough to start doing cardio.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #14  

I think I get it.... Count the calories.
Lift the weights.
Stay active.
Don't give up! (lol)....whew, that was easy....

Don't give up.
Thanks to all
Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatewoman View Post
I think I get it.... Count the calories.
Lift the weights.
Stay active.
Don't give up! (lol)....whew, that was easy....

Don't give up.
Thanks to all
You do have it! That's what we all need to remember.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote