Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #1  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Smile Is 3 days a week enough?

Hi everyone! I have a question about improving my workouts. I've been doing only cardio on an elliptical so far for the last 6 weeks about 35 minutes 4-5 days a week. I push myself a lot in my workouts so I would definately consider it high intensity. I do have past experience with lifting weights but I never kept it long enough to turn it into a routine. Now that I've gotten into the habit of getting to the gym I'd like to add in weights again.

I guess my main question is, is 3 days a week of weight training enough to start with for a few months? I was thinking of doing it body for life style. Upper body 1 day, then lower body the next, etc., pushing myself harder in each workout. I want to use free weights and also do some core strengthening as well. What do you all think? I have the body for life book also a gold's gym encyclopedia to weight lifting and of course the good ol' internet to look up exercises. Thanks everyone!
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #2  
Mel

Three days a week is plenty to build muscle and see results. Make sure to use the time wisely

I still think the Body For Life Program is a good starting place. It lays out a good set/rep scheme that you can follow easily. If you pick big compound exercises like barbell squats instead of machine leg extensions, you get so many more benefits.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #3  
Breathe the pressure

I was actually just looking into some compound exercises. So far squats, deadlifts, and military presses look like a good place to start. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I've always done weights 3-4 days / week, lately I have only been going 3 days and doing the BFL workout, one week I work UB, LB, UB and the next week LB, UB, LB, on the inbetween days I do cardio in the form of running or HIIT ... I can see a very big difference... Your diet has to be clean too though...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If you are doing 3 days a week (which is excellent for a beginner) then do a fullbody routine (both upper and lower). Once you progress (I waited about 1 year) then you can start doing split routines.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #6  
Mel

The BFL split is great for beginners or seasoned lifters. Whether you do full body workouts all the time or a split of some sort depends on your goals.

Mel
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks, Mel, you took the words right off my keyboard. I think a split is almost easier for a beginner. Not so many exercises to try to do with good form.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #8  
Breathe the pressure

Thank you all so much for the advice! I just did my first lower body workout and my legs feel like jello lol. I would do the full body 3 days a week if I had the time but this split routine fits much better into my schedule and it keeps me from getting to frustrated with being at the gym to long and wanting to just give up. So far this is the longest I've stuck with any kind of workout/diet plan ever usually I only last 1 week at the most and now I'm going 7 weeks strong! Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #9  
Mel

Consistency is the key!