3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Weight and Resistance Training

Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Originally Posted by dixied View Post
I have PCOS. In the three months since I've officially been diagnosed, I have lost 30 pounds and 3-4 sizes. I did it increasing the intensity of my cardio (running, or if I'm walking I'll up the incline) and by finally starting a strength training program. I also dropped the low-fat diet and went to a lower carb/good carb program. This isn't my first (or even second) effort to lose this weight, and the strength training is the major difference in the attempts. I'd been walking consistently for almost two years (an hour a day) before I was told I have PCOS, so redirecting my efforts to HITT and weights HAS to be the reason for the losses, at least that's what I'm convinced.
Sign me to this! This pretty much the exact plan that I have found the most success with- increasing the intensity of my cardio (and more frequent cardio) and 2 strength training sessions a week and cutting/replacing carbs. It's working very well. I swear, this could be the pcos-er's magic plan or something

2011- putting on the baby weight
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Say you did bulk up. Which means adds pounds of metabolically active muscle. It isnt likely but let's say it happened. You would then have an easier time burning fat. I would say it was HIGHLY unlikely that you would bulk up to a point that after your fat dropped you would be unhappy.

But if you somehow managed to, losing bulk isnt that hard - its easier than losing fat. You have to KEEP pumping heavy to avoid it.

What people occasionally mistake as bulk is small amounts of added muscle underneath no reduction in fat. Yes, my thighs have gotten bigger than they used to be. Through running & lifting without losing fat weight. But then once the fat goes away, damn them's some sexy legs.
Lost successfully, maintained successfully. Followed by a whole lot of setbacks and obstacles. Starting over with the knowledge gained before.

Journey to the next decade:

New "decades":
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Looks like I may be trying this for a few weeks. My husband and I got into a fight about it because he thinks I should trust her. That is pretty much all I have to say about it. I'll be trying it for about 4 weeks (It'll actually be less because I'm sick right now and can't do much and I'm not adding on that lost time) and then we'll see what she has for me. If I don't like the next step, I'm done with her.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You know, I think that's a reasonable approach. And maybe you can start your next session with a talk about where you are and where you'd like to go.
Goal Met - 10/28/07 - My Progress Picture Collage - My Goal Story - Where Have I Been?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Oh, I'll also being doing a bit more weight than she gave me. She had said it was fine for me to use more with my step ups and deadlifts. I may add weight to my lunges and squats too.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote