Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/153/145

Height: 5'9"

Default A woman's guide to weight training

Has anyone tried this?:

http://www.globalfulfillment.net/gfs...=SBSHP-BK-0002

It looks alright, but its $25 without shipping...
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

Nope, havent tried it.

I get ALOT of helpful info from here: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=3[/URL]
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

No, haven't, but think I would go with something free from the library in the 613.71 section over this. If no good library near you, a bookstore would give you a better variety from real trainers for less and no shipping. From the Shape mag, they focus on high rep, low weight, girly weights. I'd rather you get a book from a well known trainer that will also give you the physiology or muscle mechanics behind the exercise. That's why I like the library, try it, then buy the one you like best.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

I haven't seen that book so cannot give you any feedback on it. The stumptuous site that a prior poster mentioned is fabulous though. It has a lot of good information on attitude, exercises, and how to get fit. It is a good source of inspiration and I have used it myself a fair amount. There is a stumptuous group on facebook as well, although it does not have much activity.

Personally, I found "Body for Life for Women" by Pamela Peeke and "Body Flex ~ Body Magic" by Anja Langer with Bill Reynolds to be invaluable. Both can be found on abebooks.com for under 20CAD each...at least that is what I paid.

The Body for Life for Women book is still in print, so you can buy it new if you prefer that, and is probably in your local library. Peeke has taken Body for Life, and adapted the program just for women. I have used both Body for Life, and Body for Life for Women books for inspiration and ideas.

Body Flex ~ Body Magic is just about a work out bible for me, and was printed in '92. I have had no problems finding two copies of it on abebooks.com The author has won a number of body building competitions, started working out in her teens, and is anti-steroids - she is a natural body builder. The book delves into all aspects of working out, from weights to stretches to food to attitude to prepping for competition. Personally, I have never seen such a comprehensive book aimed directly at women. It is also full of photographs, illustrating everything she talks about. If I could, I would give a copy of this book to any woman who is serious about lifting weights and wants to know more information on the topic. anjalanger.com is her website. Sorry...I know I am going on and on, but I just can't sing her praises enough!

Good luck finding a book! I hope you enjoy your workout journey.

Last edited by theloula; 01-31-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wanted to add in positive feedback on the stumptuous site
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote