3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   August 1 - 15, 2008 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/147915-august-1-15-2008-a.html)

Mel 08-01-2008 07:11 AM

August 1 - 15, 2008

I 'm riding my bike to work! :bike2:

Leaving now...if you don't hear from me again, I'm a smear on the road

Mel

Meg 08-01-2008 07:18 AM

Whoa, I hope your route to work is a little safer than the roads I've been on in West Chester! Are you carrying your work clothes in your backpack or just pedaling away in your little Ann Taylor suit? :lol:

We're off to the beach for a week and I've already packed my resistance bands, 10# ankle weights, and ab wheel. I figure those with some body weight exercises should do the trick. Cardio will be iffy though since I can't run or walk for exercise. Maybe I'll rent a bike? Eating will be ON PLAN!

Have a great week! :)

NightengaleShane 08-01-2008 08:32 AM

You're riding your bike to work, Mel? That's AWESOME! :D

How many miles is it each way? *Crosses fingers for your safety - yeah, I know that is a bit of an ironic thing for me to say, considering I ride my bike to and from work every day, BUT I've gotten a little bruised, scraped, and banged up in the process - no major injuries, luckily - and just hope the same does not happen to you :)*

Lydia227 08-01-2008 08:44 AM

Got your helmet right?! :s: Have a nice ride Mel.

Yoga last night was great. I learned a new pretzel twist. I was shocked when I could actually do it. :lol: http://www.yogaartandscience.com/pbl...8de865-434.php

This morning I felt a little tight in the hamstrings so I went with a lite leg day again. Nice little run/walk series for 35 minutes and then 30 minutes of legs. I kind of had to economize my workout this morning. I woke up at 5:00am and needed to get back in time for DH to leave for work. :dizzy: Good thing tomorrow is Saturday.

Have a great morning everyone :coffee:

Tomato 08-01-2008 09:47 AM

Lydia,
Wow, that IS is pretzel all right!

Mel, how far do you have to bike to work? My office is about 13 km from home, which is not bad distance-wise but I would be afraid to get on the bike (unless I am off city roads) - I have seen too many accidents. Stay safe.

Meg,
enjoy your vacation.

nelie 08-01-2008 10:28 AM

Mel - are you wearing a skirt and riding your bike to work? That is impressive though.

Lydia - Go you!

Not much here, just checking in and saying I am alive and I love weights :)

jamsk8r 08-01-2008 02:46 PM

Mel, have a good ride!

Lydia, I've noticed you and some others mention doing something like your 95 for 5x5 sets. Is that pretty much the norm, to use the same weight for every set, or is there a special purpose to that method? I started with the NROL style, so I've been adding weight each set, like 65lbs first set, 70 second set, 75 third set, etc. Just curious if I'm missing out on something, since I've seen others mention it.

Midwife, congrats on the BF%! We need pics!

WaterRat 08-01-2008 04:08 PM

Hmm, riding a bike to work will be possible for me just about the time I retire! :lol: Seriously, the main road from my house to town is being rebuilt - widened, shoulders added, and - Whoo, hoo - a bike trail added. Up until now the road had minimal to no shoulders, and the "bike trail" was a dirt track about 6-8' below the road height, and very muddy and beat up from 4 wheelers. The new road will be lovely, but not finished until sometime next summer! I had to wait on flaggers twice in the 3 mile drive home last night.

Lydia227 08-01-2008 04:40 PM

Hey Cheryl. I don't know if the 5x5 is "the norm" but it's another approach. I've done the added weight to each set as well. In my case, I just got miffed that I wasn't able to increase my presses as much as I wanted to with the original 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps. Once I'm able to lift the 95 consistently with the 5x5 then I will attempt to increase the number of reps I can do in each set and change that as an endurance goal from a strength goal.

Mel 08-01-2008 05:52 PM

I made it back home again :)
Yes, I rode in my Ann Taylor suit, silk blouse, hose and heels :rofl: NOT! I wore bike shorts and a tank top. Since that was pushing "casual Friday" a bit, I had my work outfit in a backpack, which seemed considerably heavier at 5:15 this afternoon than it did at 7:15 this morning.

The roads around here are pretty dreadful for riding. Hilly, narrow, no shoulders. Also no traffic early in the morning, but coming home was much more exciting. Don't be too impressed, folks. The Toure de France this is not....It took me 15 minutes to get to work and 20 minutes coming home. I haven't ever clocked the distance, but I'll pay attention next time I drive. Unless it's raining on Monday, I'll do it again :)

No lifting today- I couldn't get to the gym :lol3:

Meg- Wave or drop in as you cruise by!

jamsk8r 08-01-2008 07:52 PM

Lydia, I was just asking about the practice of using the same weight for every set, as opposed to gradually adding weight each set during the same workout. I've been doing 4x8 on bench press, which I just picked because I was falling apart after about the 8th rep when I tried doing 3x10. (very scientific, huh?)

Lydia227 08-01-2008 10:25 PM

I think that I use the highest weight I can press when beginning because I really just wanted to be able to lift at that weight. If I did the beginning sets at a lower weight and saved the last set for the goal weight I just wouldn't be as fresh/strong for that last set. I would already be feeling the effects of fatigue for that final set. I could wait longer between sets but I'm rather impatient once I begin.

I do know that a lot of people do a warm up set first in which a lower weight is used. I have also noticed that my second set is usually much better than my first set as far as perceived strength. This occurs in my squat as well. It's kind of weird. During that first set it just feels like the weight of the world in on that bar and I can't imagine doing more than one set. But the second set feels much more controlled even if I am fatiguing by the last two reps. I wonder if its because by the second set your body is prepared for the pressure of the actual weight? Anyway, I think that your method is very scientific. :lol: At least I understand. There are strength goals where you lift heavier for shorter sets and endurance goals where you lift fewer sets but with more reps. Options are a wonderful thing. :D

sportsfreak 08-01-2008 10:51 PM

Hey all- well i have been out for a week due to gum graph in the mouth. My eatin is CRAP. Im HAVE to be on a soft food diet for 2 weeks. Most soft foods i now are CARBS need to figure out how to get my fat and protien in. I am drinking a shake at leat once a day and eating eggs.

Well i have decided to try taking some classes at my gym. Well i want to take a spin class. now i do do alot of biking but i want to ask you all what should i expect from this class- what should i bring. I'm really nervous to try it out.

Theres also a club boxing circut- whats that all about, any of you done it or heard of it.

Lifeguard 08-02-2008 01:31 AM

I do a warm-up set on my big lifts - squats, dl's, bench. I find it makes a big difference in my "strength" for the first real set.

Mel 08-02-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

I have also noticed that my second set is usually much better than my first set as far as perceived strength. This occurs in my squat as well. It's kind of weird. During that first set it just feels like the weight of the world in on that bar and I can't imagine doing more than one set. But the second set feels much more controlled even if I am fatiguing by the last two reps

That seems to be pretty true universally. I usually do warm-up movements- not necessarily the exercise, but moving the same muscles and particularly, the same joints. For example, if I'm doing legs, I'll start with a body weight matrix of squats, lunges and "high knees" or mountain climbers. The idea is to get blood flowing into the muscles, but more importantly, get synovial fluid into the joints. As we age, there is progressively less synovial fluid and it acts like oil in an engine- gotta have it flowing!

Sportsfreak- I love spinning classes but without bike shorts I suspect you can expect a sore...butt! Try to find a pair of padded bike shorts. They cost a small fortune in bike shops, but I found that Marshalls and TJ MAxx have them if you are lucky, for 10-15 dollars. Worth every penny!

I'm spending the weekend cooking, cleaning, and have a chest and back workout planned for today, and legs tomorrow.

I found a great site bikely.com that allows you to map your bike rides and see the elevation changes. Im going to try and paste in the elevation profile: ShOOT! can't copy a flash player fusion chart!

Anyway, it's cool. You could certainly also use it for runs or walks.

Tomato 08-02-2008 10:40 AM

It's long weekend here, woohoo (but I also have an equally long translation to work on, too). I hit the gym last night for some weight lifting (trying to work more on my weaker left arm as Depalma suggested) and this morning, I ran 3.65 miles. I think that's it for today - I am off to a restaurant on the lake for an afternoon with the gals to celebrate my upcoming bday - I plan to eat reasonably - and in the evening, I will take the pooches for a nice walk.

Core class tomorrow and I printed out a longish list of 6-pack exercises (I subscribed to an online newsletter on some website that was posted here on 3FC) - I will try those on Monday. I look forward to the gym tomorrow and Monday, it will be mostly deserted.

Have a good one, ladies!

Lydia227 08-02-2008 11:44 AM

Sportfreak: Do the spinning class! It's a lot of fun. Mel's right about the sore butt. I found that the second class was much easier on my glutes but I stood/hovered over the seat for most of it. The class was challenging enough for me that I had a difficult time lifting afterward. My focus over the spring and summer has been in regaining some strength so I dropped the spinning class. I really should try to get to another class once a week. Maybe they have a cot somewhere where I could nap until I'm ready to lift after a spinning session. :lol: For your original question though, you may want to introduce yourself to the instructor and arrive a little early so that you can properly adjust the bike for your ride. Bike shorts and water and you should be good.

Mel: Thanks for the tip. I'm going to map out my courses using the site right after this.

Tomato: Enjoy your upcoming quiet days at the gym. I like those kinds of days. A little company is good too but I use those quiet days to test drive new workouts. :goodvibes:

Today was a great workout. I feel so centered. My hamstring has also loosed up from earlier this week and the stretches were bliss. Those are the dessert to my workouts. I get bummed if I can't get the stretch I look forward too.

Taking the boys to my mothers for the afternoon. It's such a beautiful day here and I'm spending it one on one with DH. :love:

Eves 08-02-2008 10:39 PM

The heat here in Kansas is killing me!

Here was my great workout today:

-7am, arrive at the site, haul 30 pound total station, 15 pound tripod, 10 pound box up a hill to set it up.

-7:15, run around and try to remove branches and trees so that I can actually get a shot.

-8, come back to the total station to begin mapping. My t-shirt is wet, my pants are wet to the tops of my thighs.

-9:15, the Army puts us at heat advisory 3, the heat index is at 103 degrees.

-9:20, one of the Army personnel has a heat stroke during one of their exercises. We spend the next 10 minutes hearing about getting the poor person out.

-10, dig. My t-shirt is still wet. All of us are making comments on how impressive out "swass" is (swass= sweaty ***).

-10:10, first crew member faints. Into the pit. One of the guys and I half carried her back to the vans, down the hill, because she was too wobbly to walk. She's okay, I just checked on her.

11 - lunch. It was too hot to eat. I take two gallons of ice water to the field and I'm down to the last quarter gallon. Good thing we take a 30 gallon cooler with us. Another Army person goes down. They call them "casualties", which really freaks me out.

11:30 - back up the hill to dig. Army informs us that the heat index is at 109.

12- crew member throws up, has chills. Get him back to the van. Ask if everyone else is alright, everyone says yes, lets get this done.

12:45- second crew member faints. We're done. Army lets us know that the heat index is at 115. Haul up everything and back to the vans, it's about 40+ pounds of stuff each, down the hill to the vans.

1:15, back in the van feeling woozy. My seat is wet because of my sweat.

2:30, back at the hotel. Take shower, rest a while because I still want to run on the treadmill.

8pm: waaa? did I fall asleep? Yes I did. I ran for 15 minutes and then devoured my salad.

I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to go exactly the same as today. I'm still going to count today as a day I exercised.

Mel 08-02-2008 10:53 PM

OMG, archy/eves, I'm dying laughing and empathy tears are forming...sorry! I spent several field seasons in the Lower Illinois Valley during major floods of the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, and several season in the UP of Michigan. You'd think the UP is cold, but NOT in the summer. My favorite day was when the Army Corps of Engineers told us everything was OK, and we had a 200 ft. wall collapse the next day. And the pigs got our lunches. There's something really weird about pigs eating bologna sandwiches.

Got poison ivy? that would complete the picture :p

Mel

Eves 08-02-2008 11:42 PM

Yeah, half the stuff we were cutting down were poison ivy vines. Tecnu, my friend. I actually started the day in my rain gear because of the poison ivy, but gave up after 20 minutes and figured that the sores would be better than slowly melting inside plastic.

Luckily, tick season is about done right now. Now all we have to worry about are bitting flies, chiggers, gnats, and mosquitoes. I worked once in the UP, the mosquitoes were huuuuge, and I had so much deet on that my shovel started turning black. I still got bitten.

Don't get me started on the Army Corps of Engineers. Yesterday we were working on a site that these geniuses thought to cover up with dirt in order to protect it. Too bad what they used was from a prehistoric site they bulldozed.

Anyway, exercise. I feel I've done it. I just checked the maps and tomorrow we have to hike out half a mile to the site. :faint:

elisa822 08-03-2008 09:38 AM

sportsfreak - I also recommend trying the spin class...I think I gave the same advice to Lydia some time ago! ;) Definitely get there a few minutes early and talk to the instructor. He/she should be able to help you adjust the bike and give you some tips. The best of which is go at your own pace at the beginning. Do what you can, go a little slower if you need to and if you need to sit while others are standing, do that too...you won't be the only one. Also, give it two or three tries to see if you really like it. I never got the cushioned bike shorts but I'm sure they would help. I was very sore the first class but it somehow went away even by the second time. I have also put the spin on hold for a while so I could concentrate on other stuff but it's an amazing cardio workout so give it a try and let us know what you thought!

Archy - wow! that is just crazy. Take care of yourself!

Lydia - hope you had a lovely day with your DH! Details not required. :o

I got out this morning for a nice run and the weather was perfect. You know when it's early in the day and there's no humidity and the sun is shining. Just great. I had to force myself but, of course, I'm glad I went. It's a long weekend here and I was hoping to get in two runs but tomorrow is my mom's birthday and we're having a big bbq here. I guess one is better than none!

:D

midwife 08-03-2008 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys!

I have some pictures. Lemme see if I can get them in this message. I am not very techy, y'know.

I went for my first real bike ride today. 19 miles along the river. I wanted to bike to the zoo to look at the elephants. 9+ miles there, saw some elephants, turned around, 9+ miles back....when we were almost back to where we started, dh points out some camels on some property. If I would have known they were there, we could have just biked 2 miles and looked at camels instead of going all the way to see elephants. :lol: But it was very very fun. And the best part is, I didn't die! :carrot:

So if I did this right there should be a picture of me with my bike and a picture of my bicep---with which I am extremely impressed and I hope you guys can see it. DH teases me a little---maybe I am much more muscular in my own mind. ;)

jamsk8r 08-03-2008 04:14 PM

Looking good, Midwife! I'll have shoulder muscles some day...sigh!

Lydia, thanks for explaining that to me about using the same weight for all sets. I might have to try that and compare. I do the crossfit warmup, then I usually do warmups only for the big lifts, or if I am still working on form.

Eves, I'm glad you didn't pass out yourself! Living where I do, I think it's sweltering when it gets above 55 degrees, lol.

Today's a rest day for me, but I'll be back to it tomorrow. :)

Mel 08-04-2008 07:16 AM

You look great midwife! And you seem to be having so much fun :)

I'm draggy from yesterday's cleaning marathon. 5 hour with the vacuum and carpet cleaner just about did me in. I was sweating more than during a good cardio session, and my hips and lower back are complaining mightily today. Because I missed a leg session, I may try to do legs lite at lunch. We'll see how it goes.

Today would be a beautiful day to bike to work, but I haven't figured out how to get my gym bag there! So on Mondays I have to take the car :dizzy:

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and a wonderful week ahead!

Mel

sportsfreak 08-04-2008 09:22 AM

Morning everyone- well we have a holiday today- civic holiday. I went for my fist w/o after last last friday. Man 9 days of rest really does it to you. Plus my eating was offf wack because i had a mouth sugery and was on a soft food diet. On the dirve home i was going to throw up in the car- i really thought i would.

Because of my sugery i cant run because it puts pressure on my mouth. I think i'll try the spin class next week or so when i am fully healed

Tomato 08-04-2008 10:23 AM

Midwife - I just realized I posted a comment for you in the wrong forum - in Cool Runners in the Exercise forum. :D
You look awesome!!!

I had a really good run this morning - 5.1 miles total distance and I ran 3.7 miles out of it. Then I took the pooches for a 1 mile walk. I will try to get to the gym but I am behind on my translation, so au revoir for a while.:p

sportmom 08-04-2008 10:42 PM

Freak - what kind of gum surgery? I had 2 strips removed from my palate to be graphed on to my lower front gums which were genetically thin. This was in the late 80's == I swear I was the only person under 60 in the endodontist's office. Anyway, it's one of the worst pains I've experienced short or labor or stones - so hang in there. I had a problem where I coudln't stop bleeding, had to use tea bags in my gums. Felt like a baseball player - LOL! I hope you get some relief soon.

Weather was gorgeous here today, first time in list WEEKS that we didn't have above 50% humidity. So went out to a local park with a great trail around a lake to walk. Took the kiddos but they tuckered out after about a mile. Yes, me, the fitmom had to go retrieve the car and pick them up at a rest point where they hid in the shade with dh!! lol :lifter:

Mel 08-05-2008 07:21 AM

Good morning! Gum surgery sounds dreadful. Luckily, I've never had to do that.

I'm just chugging along on plan...a brief moment where everything is working. Probably driven by the specter of a bathing suit in my near future, and another formal tight dress affair and the end of August.

Legs yesterday, chest and back today. Great cardio sessions both days. DD is visiting and convinced me to go for a real run with her last night. I need new shoes!

Mel

sportsfreak 08-05-2008 07:50 AM

Yeup sportsmom- thats the one. My two lower teeth have receeded gums due to the braces i had when i was younger. The braces pushed my teeth forward and my gums down. Fortuntaly i am not bleeding constanlty. They have imporved the surgery over time. They take the skin from the palate- but the skin on the roof of the mouth, but the connective tissue inbetween. Going for my check up tomorrow- hope they wil remove some of my stiches.

Rest day for me today- need to get back on track after last weeks eating- seems like the only "soft food" contain a high amount of carbs. No fat or protien.

sportmom 08-05-2008 08:01 AM

Avoid the rice - I remember getting a few grains stuck down in there - horrible, and i couldn't really get digging in there to get it out. DId they also cut your little flap of skin that connects your lower lip to your lower gums? They did on mine as they said that often acts as a pulling agent to bring it lower. That didn't hurt at all and amazingly, I'm not walking around with my lower lip drooling either! lol Well, mine's lasted 20 years now so the fear I had about having it redone/repeated due to more thinning has passed. BUt as I've moved around and had to get new dentists, they are always amazed when they see it the first time and want to take a look at it bc its so big and thick. :crazy:

denvertechchick 08-05-2008 12:21 PM

Sportsfreak, yes, that surgery is really painful. Hope you feel better soon!

My week has been totally upside down so far. I'm proud to say I did get a great workout in yesterday in spite of that. I work in IT and sometimes I have to work very late nights while everyone else is sleeping.

My gym gave me a gnarly surprise on Saturday. They close at 7pm!!?!? Grr! They are remodeling and the "small" free weight area where they keep the smaller weights (and where you can always find a free bench) is roped off. So the available benches are very valuable real estate, indeed! They are installing something like a snack bar ?!?? Hmm. We'll see how this goes. They have said "no" to kettlebells, and there's no Gravitron, either. If they said "yes" to a muffin bar, I'm going to be cranky.

Tomato, what are you translating?

Eves, your workouts sound very, um... well, they sound inspiring! Good for you for getting it done!

Looking forward to cruising around tonight!

Tomato 08-05-2008 03:40 PM

Sportsfreak - sorry to hear about the surgery! I better be more diligent with flossing (even though I am trying to do what I can) to not have to go through something similar. Does not sound very pleasant at all. Although it is amazing how medical science is progressing. When I was 14 or 15, my mom had her gall bladder removed. I remember she had a HUGE incision under her left boob that went all the way to the back. My colleague at work had the same surgery last week and showed us today the three tiny cuts (that's how it done today, laparoscopically). Really amazing.

Eves - would you mind telling me what it is you are doing? I think I sweated bullets just from reading your posts.

Quote:

They have said "no" to kettlebells, and there's no Gravitron, either. If they said "yes" to a muffin bar, I'm going to be cranky.
Denver - I would be super cranky myself! My gym has a quite large reception area (off the reception area there is a little store for all the protein drinks and other supplements) and a relatively small area with the cardio machines. IMHO, the cardio section could have used a bit more space so that one does not have meander in between the machines like a snake, while the reception/the store is mostly empty.

The translation was a stuff about a clinical study (medical) - not bad but I am glad it's off my plate. :-)

Mel 08-06-2008 07:23 AM

Morning....grump...grump....
I couldn't find my workout shorts at 5:15 this morning. Eventually found them in a pile in my dd's bedrom. She was ecstatic to see me a (angry) at 5:30. Then I couldn't find MY coffee cup (no, I'm not very flexible!). Found that in same dd's room at 6:45. She still wasn't happy to see me.

My car battery is dead and dh already left, so I'm charging it from his "baby", the undriven sports car in the garage. I'd drive it to work, but it's raining out there.

The day has GOT to get better :dizzy: I'm leaving this afternoon for a few days at the beach with previously mentioned DEAR daughter, so I hope we don't grump at each other too much!

Have a good one,

Mel

Lydia227 08-06-2008 01:52 PM

Oh Mel: :lol: I hope that the rest of the day went well for you. If it is anything like how mine turn out that pattern will last all day. I can count on it. The good thing is that great days usually have the same all day pattern as well. You've got a trip to the beach ahead of you though, have fun!

Eves: Are you still okay?! My goodness, you must be so fatigued from heat exhaustion. Be careful out there.

Denver: AAACHH! The free weight section roped off?! Without notice?! Yeah, I'd be a little cranky too. Our gym shuts down for a week of housekeeping/maintenance but they let us know and plan for that a month in advance.

Midwife: You look great! Love the bike! What a great shot. How often do you get a chance to ride? I'm trying to break in rides into my cardio schedule as well.

Elisa: Have you ever taken a Yin yoga class? It's focus is upon the connective tissue and joints. I took one last Sunday. Interesting. I think I will stick with Ashtanga for now. It was kind of relaxing.

So last Saturday I purchased my first road bike. It's a Specialized Ruby Comp. I wish I could say that it has automatically made me a faster rider but no, :nono: this is not the case. I had a cat's eye put on the bike and I'm doing about 15mph average. ~sigh~ The group I've been trailing is doing more like 20. I've decided that I really don't need to do the group rides right now. I usually come back feeling defeated. Its such a drag to be passed like you are sitting still by the whole pack. I enjoyed my solo ride last Sunday much more than the group ride. There is just too much anticipation for me during the day building up to it and not the good kind. I think that I will train alone and throughout the winter and then see how I am doing.

This morning I decided I needed to shake off the bad karma I was feeling about last nights ride. The only thing that will make me a better rider is more riding so I loaded up the bike and drove out to the trails again. I replaced my gym cardio with an hour trail ride. Still only averaging 15 mph. grrr. After the ride I loaded it back up, went to the gym and did legs. I looked a wreck walking in there though. Hair plastered to my head, thank you helmet, and yes Mel, I did buy the padded bike shorts. Feeling a little weird parading around with those on too. Thankfully I had the good sense to pack another change of clothes for the weights. Wish me luck tomorow as I head out to hit 16mph. :lol:

sportsfreak 08-07-2008 06:33 PM

Hey all, i got the 16 g black iphone today. I am soo phyced. I cant wait to open and start using it. However i am scared to use it until i get the case. I want to get the iskin revo2 for it. I'm not paying the cell bill, my dad is. Thats one cool thing about divorced parents :D. I live with my mom.

Gonna workout tomorrow. This sugery really put me off track. Hope i can get back on my bike again and keep making progress.

Check with u all later.- im gonna go play with my iphone

Eves 08-07-2008 07:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm back! And moving from one apartment to another. I'm still going to try to work out though. We'll see. I have to go back to Kansas next week, but luckily it's our last trip in a while.

I'm an archaeologist. It's far less glamorous than Indiana Jones, especially if you work in the US.

Anyway, I had a good work out today. Squats, bulgarians, overhead presses, and bench. I think I'm going to start practicing the front squat to get some balance. I think my back may be arching too much in the back squat.

Tomorrow I'm getting my RMR tested. I just need to take that off the list as to why I can't seem to lose any weight.

Lydia - I also have trouble going fast on my bike. Have you tried doing sprints? Go as fast as you possibly can for 30 seconds and then giving yourself time to recover. Then do it again. It's a little HIITish, but it has helped me go faster on the bike.

Eves 08-08-2008 01:52 PM

Double post!

Well, I got my RMR checked. It was weird, I laid down in this room and was told to relax for 15 minutes. Then they came in and put a plug on my nose and I had to breathe through a tube for 15 minutes. Found out that I have a metabolism that is 13% faster than average. My RMR is 1728 calories.

I took the print out, showed it to my belly and reminded my fat that it is being completely unreasonable and illogical and that it should just leave.

On an unrelated note, it seems like the test moved my scale in a positive direction. Incredible, when I finally get fed up enough to start checking for a medical reason for my plateau my fat decides that it's bored. Whatever, as long as it's gone.

Sooo, for today I have a 5 mile run. Tomorrow I'm liiiiifting!!!

Sportsfreak - how are you doing?

sportsfreak 08-08-2008 04:19 PM

im doing much better. I got my stiches on the top of my mouth removed wedensday and ther actuall ones used for the graph i will be getting out next week.

I have always wanted to get my rmr tested- where do you go and how much deso it cost??

Have to start working out and get back on track for monday. still having fun with my new iphone :D.

Later

Lydia227 08-08-2008 08:42 PM

Eves: I'm also interested in where you went to have your rmr tested. What a cool idea to have this done. Your little chat with the belly must have had an effect. :lol: Maybe I'll do the same.

Sportsfreak: Hope you are enjoying your new iphone. Sounds like fun.

Took the bike out again today. The first five minutes were grueling. Lets jus say there was a little wind out there today. :rolleyes: Once I stopped feeling sorry for myself and pushed through it I was able to get in a total of 20 miles today. My average was about 16mph today so there was a little improvement. I'm finding that without looking at my "cats eye" I can almost tell exactly how fast I'm going. I really have to push hard to get past 16 to see 17 and 18 mph. There is certainly a threshold there. Once I reach my speed I can't sustain it for long though. So, it's interval work for now.

My plan this morning was to do the twenty miles and then hit the gym for upper body today. At the end of my ride there is an outdoor fitness structure. I hopped off my bike and went to do some pullups. Did two sets hopped down and strode over to my bike. I was about to slip my foot into the straps and mount when something on my shoe caught my eye. OMG. I had just stepped in the biggest pile of dog poo poo you could imagine. Think horse. :rollpin: Now, do I scrape off most of it and put my stinking foot into the straps or do I walk Miss Ruby all the way back to my car. Were talking about two miles to my car at this point. I began walking and realized how long that was going to take me. I worked a little more to get it clean and then prayed that this would not foul up my bike too badly. I cleaned her up as soon as we got home. What really irked me though was that I didn't bring a spare pair of running shoes so even though I was literally around the corner from the gym I couldn't get my lifting in today. ~sigh~ So much to learn. Mental note, keep extra pair of running shoes in the car for emergencies. DH thought it was hysterical. After laughing himself silly he did redeem himself. From the kitchen window I watched him powerwashing the shoe which he had propped up on the garden stake.

Hope everyone had a better or more pleasant smelling workout than me today.

midwife 08-08-2008 10:22 PM

Hey Lydia,
I was laughing at your poop story and DH came over and read your post. He said that pushing it to 16 mph is very good. Just thought you'd be interested. :)