Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Default In need of pep talk to get started

intellectually, I know it's time to add strength training to my workout program. Emotionally, I just can't seem to do it and I can't quite figure out what is holding me back.

I currently weigh about 250 lbs. I've been exercising regularly since April with good results in measurements - less with actual weigh loss. My week typically involves 2 sessions of lap swimming for an hour, 2 aqua aerobic classes, 3-60 minute session of gym cardio (bike and treadmill) plus I do pilates/yoga/ball work for about 45 minutes 3-4 days a week (at home).

I think I'm intimidated to do the machines and the people. Every week I start out with the thought that THIS WEEK I'm going to do 3 30-minute strength training sessions but when I get to the gym, I do the treadmill and bike, glance at the weight area, see the people there and leave. What is my problem?

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you get past it? I have seriously thought about hiring a personal trainer to try and get past it, thinking if I paid money, perhaps I'd have better luck - but I hate the idea of all the measuring and weighing by someone else (even though I'm doing the measuring and weighing myself).

It's not like it's a swish gym or anything - it's just the local center with normal ordinary people of all ages. I feel like such a chicken and like such a failure not being able to get past this block.

Help anyone?
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

Hi Kris,

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I have complete faith in you. Weights are wonderful things. Besides the fact that an increased muscle mass will burn more calories at rest, lifting weights and increased strength have numerous documented positive health effects. Lifting and strength training can increase bone mass and bone density, which can help prevent problems as we get older, plus I just feel darn good when my roommates ask me to open that jar or help lift something heavy. Though sure, sometimes I'm tired or don't want to work out, I always feel better when I'm done - weights or cardio (sounds like you already know that about cardio!).

It sounds like you're intimidated to have other people see you do the weights. I've also felt that way, as I am quite shy by nature. I like to practice a new move on my own first - either find a video on the internet, study it/mock do it at my desk or wherever I am, then give it a try when the gym is not as crowded. Could you go to the gym at a different time when there are less people there, even just a few times, to start your weight lifting/machine use? I feel more confident doing it in front of a crowded gym after I've done it a few times on my own.

You don't necessarily have to hire a personal trainer. At my gym, it is just fine to walk up at the desk and ask the trainer to show you a few moves. The big, hulking, intimidating-looking guy is actually really nice and helpful.

Another thing I've done when I had friends who went to the gym with me - we made a pact to try out the free weights together. Do you have anyone like that?

After a few ventures into the weights section, I learned that the world would not come to a screeching halt, people weren't going to stare at me, mock me, and I got more confidence to lift when people were around. Most people are at the gym to do exactly what you are doing, get in a good workout, and will be perfectly happy and polite to see you there as well.

Good luck!!!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think a trainer is a great idea! Many gyms give you one free session with a trainer who helps you set up a program. That might do for starters; or you could pay for one session if they won't give you a freebie. If someone shows you what to do and how to do it, that might give you more confidence to get started. If you have a program of your very own, it can help to alleviate some of the fears that go along with trying something new.

You can do it!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I would get the free weight-room orientation to take you there the first time & show you everything. If for some reason they don't offer that at your gym, you could always pick up some dumbbells and do a few moves at home. I think once you'll see how good it feels, you'll have a stronger desire to take on the bigger weight machines at your gym.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for your encouragement!

I signed up yesterday for 5 personal training sessions. My assessment is Monday, my first session on Friday morning. I wasn't able to get the gal that I wanted so went with the 2nd recommendation (a guy). He is apparently the best of who is available as he really works to develop an individual program rather than just give you a generic program. It's a bit off-putting to think about working with a man but I'm just going to push past my discomfort and do it.

This is a huge step for me.......
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #6  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Congratulations for taking the step to sign up! I'm sure by the second or third session, you'll feel perfectly comfortable and march into the gym like you own the place.

Speaking of which, something to remember that might help you get over the nerves: if you paid your membership fees, you have just as much right to the free weight space as any jock or jockette.

Another thing to remember (borrowed from Krista Scott Dixon at stumptuous.com, my favorite weight training site): the people who look good are so busy thinking about how good they look that they're not paying attention to anyone else. The people who don't look good are so busy worrying about how they look that they're not paying attention to anyone else. Either way, you're good to go...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #7  

I can relate. I just lost 44 lbs. But I haven't been doing muscle training. I figured that it was ok to lose muscle temporarily. When I got to goal I would work out. But I am not getting to goal (20 lbs away) and I am concerned that I had better start building the muscle.

Recently someone I know who lost weight without any exercise developed diabeates and my blood sugar has jumped up. I am putting it together that my muscle mass has dropped (likely because I lost 44 lbs) and I want to get it back.

BUT here is the thing ...I can't get myself motivated to do it. First I am trying to save for a home I desperately need fast! And I don't want to pay any money for a gym. If I do decide that a gym is necessary -- I don't know where I would get the time. Despite my biggest efforts I take public transport too and from work and it gets me home too late. I am literally stuck on the train for about 2 hours with no warning (they keep saying -- we will be 5 minutes late -- woops few more minutes folks) etc. I have a bike in my apartment that I use for cardio when they get me home that late.

I am very active at work -- are there weights I could put on me? Perhaps in my jacket? Would that be good for building muscle mass? I am really not sure how to proceed.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #8  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Ann: It doesn't take much money to put together the basics for a home gym. For ideas, see here.

Of course, if you're moving soon, you might not want to buy any heavy stuff now that you'll have to get to your new place. You might look into resistance bands.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote