Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default I think my right arm is stronger/larger then my left!

I think my right arm is stronger/larger then my left! I was driving today and was noticing how much slimmer and toned my arms look after just a few months of weight training. BUT my right arm looked larger, I think it is. So I thought more about it, I have a boy who's just over three months - I've been hauling him around at times, and although he's getting too big for this - sometimes I still do hold and carry him... always on my right side. Likely he's almost 40 pounds!

Actually before I was trying to figure out why I was so strong, especially in the arms, well guess what and WHO made me so strong? And I also do some lifting for two weeks every other month for my business, that would work my shoulders and arms too. Likely I carry most of the business supplies which are quite heavy mostly with my right arm too. So now I guess common sense says - hold the big monster child on the other side, and same with business stuff... I'm sure it's not noticably but the more I lose fat the more I saw it... guess the muscles were hiding under a layer of fat but some were there.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My right arm is definitely stronger than my left (and I don't carry a kid or office supplies around). I think that's just normal because I'm right-handed, so I tend to use my right arm more. By the same token, my right leg is also definitely stronger than my left. Whenever my trainer has me do something new that is a little bit tricky, he always has me start with my right, because every exercise is just a smidge easier for me on that side.

When I was a teenager, I played the accordion. When playing the accordion, your right arm is stationary but you pull the bellows of the instrument out and then push them in with your left arm. The air going in and out of the bellows create resistance, making it a little workout for your left arm and chest. Thus, my left arm was noticeably stronger and my left breast was actually larger than my right because of the muscle behind it. Luckily, it the size difference wasn't really noticeable to anyone but me.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-29-2007 at 07:39 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Horsey. My right is stronger than the left as well. I just try to remember that as I go about the day to use the left just as much as the right when lifting, carrying, or pushing things or people.(As is the case with my own 40 pound three year old)

By the way, I have found that squatting down to lift the three year old up up onto my shoulders is a much easier way to carry him around. He likes the view better too. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer or should no longer do this. I'm thinking by the time he's twenty he'll be tired of this...
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I posted about what to do about this a few months back (hint: do not start lifting heavier with your left than right!) and Meg suggested we do more things with our left beyond kids and boxes....but think about your day....you likely lift the gall of milk with your right, get things out of the cabinets, unload the washer with your right mostly, haul the garbage in and out of the can & the cans out to the street with your right, scrub your tubs and toilets, the list goes on and on. Maybe lefting those for awhile will help balance you. But be careful the first time you use the lefty on the gall of milk - it could get messy!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #5  
Mel

Most people are stronger on one side than the other. My left leg is considerably stronger, but my right arm is. Just keep lifting the same- it'll catch up or at least you won't look lopsided!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote