Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default I see the light...

I've been lifting again, wasn't completely consistent as I traveled for business the last few weeks but even on the road I tried to do lunges and some other light training. Today I stood in front of the mirror in my bra and undies and guess what? I see the light... I've only lost 5 pounds in the past two months since I've been on a mission but I think I gained some muscle too. My figure is starting to look so much better, my waist is getting smaller, my posture is tons better - I think the upper body weights is helping, my arms are slimmer and my legs are more muscular - which I wanted as I'm top heavy. I read that if one has worked out before that muscles have "memory" is that true? I used to be in really good shape and I think my muscles remember this or something as they are responding quickly. Now I'm going to step it up the next few months and see if I can dump 10 lbs and continue to tone up. I'll try to do cardio at least 30 min a day and weights at least 3x per week, plus cut back calories. Yeahoooo.... it's amazing how much better one feels to look in the mirror and not see a big blob. I can't stand that I gain all of my weight in my stomach, back and boobs because I basically can't wear anything when I'm overweight - except my legs always still look good. I guess I'm the opposite of most women who complain of weight in the hips and lower body. But this tummy weight is hard to hide so I'm going to knock it for good. Just rambling...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

HORSEY!!! Was just thinking about you today! You've GOT to pick up the new July issue of SELF magazine. It's got a workout spread featuring your very own Gabby Reece!!! She's on the beach, with all her broad shouldered badness, doing a killer workout in the sand. You know how most of these magazine workouts look like a piece of cake on paper - like they're not that hard? Well, I'm looking at this one thinking OMG. So you should definitely see your hero in action - she's looking good, and I think she's even had a kidlet or two.

I'm glad you are seeing results - yes, it is so satisfying! I'm sure you can knock the rest off with the plan you've outlined -- it sounds really good.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Hey congrats! That's great.

I'm totally seeing a difference in my body since I started doing the weight training too. I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, but my arms and legs still look slimmer and more toned. When I'm in the bathroom getting ready in front of the mirror I can see all my muscles moving around as I do my hair and put on my makeup. It's very cool! And actually, the other day one of my girlfriends complimented me on my shoulders and asked if I'd lost more weight--I haven't, of course, but the toning seems to give the illusion of a little weight loss.

Hooray!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Horsey! Great job with the weight training. All of the new changes that occur as you begin to incorporate weight training and cardio into your life are really exciting. You reminded me of one of the first physical changes I felt was with my posture. OMG. You really do find yourself standing a little straighter or sitting for that matter especially if you are working your core muscles too. All good stuff. Good for you!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  

YES I did pick up Self and saw Gabby in it - instead of cheating and speed reading at the bookstore I need to go buy this issue as the exercises were good for a quick routine. That COULD BE me in shape, serious shape. Big shoulders and all. Five pounds at a time, I'll be there one day.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #6  

Yes, getting dressed in the am in underwear - I'd never before look in the mirror and go "cool..." but really I like those new muscles even with my big shoulders. Just wait until I'm down 20 more pounds!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Congrats!! Way to go and I wish you all the best with the next 20.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #8  

I found Gabby's own personal website and wrote down her upper and lower boy weight training routine. Heck if I sort of look like her minus some inches (and plus my extra body fat) in height I might as well train like her. She was like me in college, tall and thin model type - well she really was a model, and now she's much bigger then before and it's "ok." It's obvious that I'm not going to get back to model thin - and even when I lost a lot of weight after my boy (that I gained back some of) I was skinny and without muscle definition. So for my body type I'm going to have to lift weights, only I do think I'll not lift as heavy on the upper body as the lower body at least for now until I even out my shape some. I just think it's so cool when people respond to my chatting and have already made so much progress. This site beats any magazine I've ever read on inspiration... back to journaling today. Two more months in my three month journal and I have a lot of progress to make!