3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   The Chat Check In, June 1 thru 15................. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/114177-chat-check-june-1-thru-15-a.html)

shananigans 06-06-2007 11:49 AM

Depalma – Take it easy and get all the rest you need. I wish you a speedy recovery.

LynneA - You're going to Bonnaroo?!? I'm so jealous, I haven't been to a festival in ages. I think Vegoose in 2005 was the last one? I wanted to go to Summer Camp a couple weeks ago, the 10,000 Lakes line up looks really good this year too. It’s usually too hard for us to find the time to take off work and find someone to take care of the dog, so we don’t get to go to many these days. I went to the first 2 Bonnaroos and had so much fun. Good luck with that traffic.

Lifting tonight, running tomorrow morning if weather permits.

hikerchick 06-06-2007 02:31 PM

Howdy folks. I have been travelling a bunch and haven't been able to pop in.

I was very excited to get back from a trip of only so so food to see the scale down another 3 lbs. I think I have an angel on my shoulder. That and all the running I am doing. I think that helps too.

Still I am slacking on my goal of a pull up. Must start hanging...I mean pulling. Oh you know.

Waving at everyone....

Hiker

Lydia227 06-06-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Depalma (Post 1721515)
Hey I lost some weight today! Not sure how much. How much does a gall bladder weigh anyway?

Man, some people :rolleyes: will do anything to report a loss. :s: Sorry, removing body parts doesn't count. :lol: Seriously though, I hope you take the time for a complete recovery before picking up weights. We all need to take a break once in a while anyway right? ;) I read somewhere that mentally practicing or visualizing a movement has it's benefits too. So your not off the hook without any workout. :p

Hikerchick: Awesome job with the three pound loss this week. Especially with travel food. Send that angel on your shoulder my way. I'm doing my best to keep the eating clean this month and so far there hasn't been even a hint of a loss. :nono: I've been doing a lot more leg work the last two months so I'm hoping the explanation is muscle gain+fat loss. I should have my bodyfat retested next week with my PT, but I'm not ready to burst my bubble yet. ;) Oh, hey, good luck with the pullups this week.:cool:

LynneA: I love the mental image of getting stuck with the lunges and having to ask for help from one of the senior citizens. In my case it would be one of the jr high/high school kids I'd have to beg. :lol:

I had a decent workout this morning. 45 minutes of cardio, 40 minutes of lifting, 15 minutes of core and stretching. I need a nap now. For some reason I really feel worn out today. :dunno:

WaterRat 06-06-2007 06:16 PM

Afternoon all. :wave: I have caught DH's stupidheadcold and am wandering around with a stuffed up head and birdcage mouth (from the decongestant) plus I am very fatigued. Grrrrr. I have the next two days off, but to set up and attend a 3 day square dance state festival our club is hosting! And Friday morning I have to be at church at 6:30 :eek: to serve breakfast at a statewide gathering. Why do I involve myself in all this stuff? :lol:

I had a good physical therapy session this morning. Warmup on the bike, then lots of calf and hamstring stretches, a ton of leg extensions, and some torturing "lateral walking." This last involves elastic around the lower thighs (to provide resistance) and then keeping your feet apart, walking sideways. Sounds easy right? Ha! All this plus my usual hip strengthing exercises and modified lunges. I did get to lay down while he massaged my right knee (in which the patella is not only out of its "groove" but also tilted so it drags over the area where the tibia and femur meet - no wonder it hurts to go up stairs!) He also tapes it so it will stay more in place. He also gave me a bunch of exercises I can do at the gym, mainly using the cable machines. No isolated leg extension - forever! Lots of leg presses, and maybe later squats and deeper lunges. I do feel better, and am really glad to know what to do to keep the danged kneecaps where they belong! While none of my problem was caused by weight, it certain exacerbates it, esp when getting up and down from the floor (or the garden :) )

Welcome home Hiker, and great job on losing on vacation.

Lydia - I'm sure you're building muscle. :)

Elisa - no matter how you look at it, your s/b chicken sounds expensive! :eek:

Shan & Lynne - okay, I'll bite, what is Bonnaroo??

I know I had more to say, but I'll be danged if I can recall what it was. :shrug:

Weather is sunny, and not too windy - at last! :D

marblez 06-06-2007 06:52 PM

Anyone have problems developing calluses (spelling?) on their palms? I've switched from low weight/high reps to high weight/low reps and the inside of my hands are getting awful! I'm on a budget now too and just dreading the thought of having to buy gloves!!

Lydia227 06-06-2007 08:23 PM

Hi Marblez:wave:

I have small calluses at the base of my middle and ring fingers of both hands from lifting. They really don't bother me enough to wear gloves when I am lifting. :dunno: I do use a Curel body lotion on my hands during the day and I think that it helps to keep the calluses from becoming too noticable.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way. I love the goals you have set for yourself. Good luck with the :swim: I took lessons last year while I was recovering from a stress fracture. I was good until he said, :coach: "Okay, now put your head under the water." :lol3: No really, the lessons were a lot of fun and I had a great instructor. He was very careful to instruct each person in the class at the level they were comfortable with in the water.

Pat: So DH comes back home and gives you a cold! I really hope it clears off enough so that you can enjoy the festival. Square dancing...I remember these being really popular at the weddings I went to as a kid. Some of the things they made them do were really weird. :chin: turning grown men upside down, dumping change out of their pockets, wheelbarrow races...might explain my warped sense of humor. :lol3:

Oh and yeah, and thanks Pat. It is probably muscle :D Just don't ask me to get tested yet. :devil:

Mel 06-06-2007 08:51 PM

marblez- I'm a total weeny about my hands. I always wear gloves. Aside from protecting my hands, I can lift heavier because it doesn't hurt my hands. There's no way I can do pullups without gloves, heavy dumbbell rows, or deadlifts.

I buy my gloves online here. They are inexpensive even with the shipping cost. The sizing is unisex- I wear a womens large glove, but a small in these.

Welcome back, hickerchick!

Mel

sportmom 06-06-2007 10:33 PM

HI everyone, still plugging away, still back on track (didn't want anyone to worry!)

I also get calluses at the base of my middle fingers and also use Curel daily and after showers (hmm, that sounds weird doesn't it). I promise I do shower daily, mostly, unless there's another workout just around the corner.....

FBWO again today. Still pain free, so that's a beauty. Just a little tight in the shoulders today -- I accidentally went up a weight in my lateral raises! I guess it's a good sign if you accidentally went up in weight and didn't notice it until the end of your set!

Depalma, you rest up and keep us posted on your progress! We'll expect daily "all about me" updates and not just responding to help others, 'kay???:hug:

LynneA 06-07-2007 09:50 AM

Morning All,

I too get calluses on my palms, I'm considering buying some gloves more due to the fact that the heavier the weight I lift, the more discomfort I get on my palms.

WaterRat - www.bonnaroo.com it's a 4 day music festival in Manchester, Tennessee. I've never been and am going this year to see The Police mainly. I've heard a lot about bonnaroo, it seems every person I've mentioned it to gives me a funny look and says "I've heard about that festival". The official boards have a very hippy feeling vibe. I'm more looking forward to having time off work than anything else.

I'm having motivational problems right now with sticking to BFL. Long story short I have some depression issues and when I feel down, which I have been feeling for the past couple days due to a lot of stuff going on, I have a hard time "looking after myself". I.e. I tend to go off plan and not care. I'm fighting hard to keep on plan right now so could really use some strong words to help get me there.

Cardio day for me today, I'm going after work and plan on doing 30 minutes hi-impact on the elliptical. I'm trying to wean myself off the dreadmill.

shananigans 06-07-2007 10:53 AM

I used to get calluses when I was doing a lot of dumbbell and machine lifting, but not enough to really bother me. I think lotion does help. Now that I’m doing at home workouts I tend to do a lot more resistance band, stability ball, calisthenic, pilates, and body weight exercises so my calluses have mostly disappeared.

Pat – Feel better soon! You are one busy lady. I saw Jessica Simpson’s trainer on some talk show and he said she does lateral walking. Soon you will have a rear to rival hers. :lol:

Fran – Glad to hear you are still on track and pain free!

LynneA – Sorry you are feeling down. Have your tried any relaxation or stress management stuff? I know meditation, yoga, or just taking long walks in a relaxing environment can do wonders for some people. Journaling and talking to people can help too. Just remember that your number 1 job is to take care of you! :hug:

Bonnaroo is very hippy in nature, it’s a pretty cool atmosphere. My do not miss line-up (if I were going) would be The Flaming Lips, The String Cheese Incident, Bob Weir (formerly of the Grateful Dead) and Ratdog, Ziggy Marley (Bob’s son), Michael Franti and Spearhead (full of good vibes and for dancing your blues away!), Keller Williams (a must see, he’s so unique and talented), Regina Spektor (if you like Tori Amos you’ll probably love her), Gov’t Mule is good if you’re into jazz/funk, Galactic if you like electronica, Ween I like but they’re not as good live, better in the studio I think. The Decembrists are also playing I see. I’ve heard a couple of their singles on the radio but I’ve never seen them live, I think they might be worth checking out. OK LynneA, I will be living vicariously through you, I expect a full report when you get back. Drink lots of water, wear sun screen, bring TP, be prepared to sit in your car for a few hours to get in (a cooler of refreshments and music helps), and if someone asks you if you want microdots the answer is “no”. ;)

sportmom 06-07-2007 12:01 PM

Got up and did my cardio this morning at 6:30. It's so easy to get up early in the summertime when the sun is up at 5:45. I may start getting up even earlier to make the most of the time before mom duty starts. Kids are finally sleeping in past 6:30 and not freaking out for food when they do - they have the ability to wait 5 or 10 mins now for me to finish up.

Scale is not rewarding me, and I'm fighting the old, well then forget it, attitude all day. I'm probably retaining water, but that doesn't make me any happier. But, I look at myself in the mirror and say, stick with it, you know what works, it will have to budge eventually. This time next week, I could be down 5 pounds. Ya just never know! ;)

BfL_Cat 06-07-2007 12:19 PM

Hey gals - sitting here at JFK airport, and I just realized I forgot my resistance bands! :( I KNEW I forgot something!

Leaving this afternoon for my Korea/Thailand trip - one week in each. The hotels have fitness centers, so at the very least I plan to do body weight exercises and some cardio. I did remember my workout gear and iPod at least!

Not sure what the food situation will be like, so it will be interesting to see how I do during the next two weeks. Fingers crossed I'll be able to either maintain or lose a bit!

You gals have a good one - I'll pop in now and then when I can.
Cindy

sportmom 06-07-2007 12:23 PM

Oh wow, have a great time Kat! YOu should be able to eat healthy - lots of fish and steamed entrees. All my korean neighbors are very healthy and in good shape. :)

hikerchick 06-07-2007 01:01 PM

I tend to loose in a big whoosh once a month. I never know until the end of the month. Hang in there Fran!

Cindy have a great trip.

Oh and Depalma I hope you are recovering from your surgery. Happy day all!

Depalma 06-07-2007 03:09 PM

Well, third day not allowed to train due to the surgery, but I've managed not to do anything too stupid.....yet. Went for a walk, did some very light band work, and did some very slow motion body-weight squats. I was going to try to do some complexes with an unloaded bar, but then I remembered all of you who told me to listen to the doctor, so I backed off.

I'm not even taking my pain medication as it is not that bad. Some discomfort around the abdominal area. I think I'm going to try to maybe start doing some planks on Saturday and when I can work up to holding it for 2 minutes, then my core will be ready to support a load.