Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #1  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Default Sharmel Update!

The only word that describes the last twelve hours would be "BAD< BAD< BAD<BAD" and how about a Hol% S#!t on the side. Her surgeon battled the "stricture" (thinning of the passage way between the esophagus and pouch) only to get into the stomach "blind" and after over a half hour, due to the point of view in her belly, was unable to differenciate between the diverticuli ("gofer hole") and the intestine. They are of the same diameter. To attempt a dialation and/or placement of a stint would be too risky and 50/50 odds don't sound good. He was immediatly concerned with mistakenly dialating the diverticuli and creating a breech and/or stinting the diverticuli instead of the intestine path. So he retracted out and ceased to avoid creating any further damage. He spoke with me and briefed what he knew ( not much) and that he wanted to take her to CT for a scan and would keep her overnight for observation. Approxiametely 10-15 minutes later he came back out and said that she was in extreme pain and it appeard that all the air that was used to inflate the path for the camera had bled into her abdomen. This was because the omentum that he wrapped around her original surgery during a past surgery had ruptured. So her abdomen was distended to 5 times its intended size. He immediately took her to CT to bleed some of the air out. But of course this is not a quick procedure and i don't imagine the most fun. So she will most likely be in the hospital into the weekend. He is leaving to her to decide when she is comfortable enough to go home.
The plan as of this minute is to get over this hurdle (out of pain and stable) and some time next week do another GI series to get a good picture of how things are flowing. The issue is that niether they, Barnes in St Louis or Columbia were able to see that there is in fact a breach somewhere in her tract (surgeon suspects it is the immediate area of the diverticuli) that is creating all the trouble. He is only able to expose the breach with air, normal contrast testing is not showing this apparent very small leak. He may decide to leave well enough alone for awhile. The main question for all involved, is this is essentially the same condition she was in at early June when he first saw the diverticuli. So what do you do with a leak that has not gotten any better, yet no worse, despite your best efforts and it takes "extraordinary" measures to expose its existance?
It is said that things happen for a reason, looking at the past week, I have to believe that monday was not a mere run of bad luck. This day very well may have happened in Columbia amongst strangers who do not know her and I. Do not care for us the way the staff at the hospital here do. They know Sharmel's likes/dislikes, what works for her and as evidence today, can and will meet her every need with instinct. ie. room was set up for her with a fan, warm blankets, temp dropped, cups of ice and such before she ever rolled up on the floor. The nurses were looking for her first thing this morning and periodically came to find me for updates on her. Despite my inability to be with her in recovery room through most of the chaos, i was getting updates routinely by nurses. Here is the best example i can think of, Sharmel wanted a specific type of "spit pan" that we had aacquired in the past in our time in CCU. April (one of her many "angels") her LPN went to the CCU and requested one of these pans. They told her that they don't normally hand those out, she told Mimi (another "angel") that it was for Shar and handed over a pan instantly. Spring (Angel) and April spent most of the afternoon with Shar doing everything they could to ease her pain.
I know that none of this would have happened in Columbia amongst strangers. Perhaps this day was inevitable and it was imparative that we experience it here. I also feel that perhaps the surgeon in Columbia would not have exercised the same restraint and caution with Sharmel. Attempted to stint and potentially created a bigger trauma. Perhaps that stint was not meant for Sharmel. Perhaps there is a bigger plan being executed by her Surgeon and his assisting "angels". Perhaps I'm tired and thats why i keep saying perhaps.

Keep sending positive thoughts and i will keep you updated.
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #2  

Thank God for you and your willingness to share all of this. Thank God she's ok and yes, I'm sure there is a larger plan at work here. I have no doubt.

I know that was agonizing for her and I'm sure a very frightening day for both of you but as you say so eloquently, at least it was at home with good people. That makes all the difference.

Please tell her I'm thinking of her and will hold her in my prayers.

Damn. I'm so, so sorry to hear this but thank GOD she's ok.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am so sorry to hear of that things didn't go as planned. I give a lot of credit to that surgeon. He acknowledged that there was a problem and stopped. He didn't just plunge ahead, thinking he was some kind of God and put your wife in further danger. That took a lot of good sense and compassion for him to admit to you that the surgery wasn't successful and to want to wait and have things clearer after a CT before trying to proceed. Thank God she was in his hands.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

dear god in heaven. this is atrocious. you and sharmel are so brave, and exhausted.

many prayers.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thanks so much for the update. Please let her know that we are praying for her gentle recovery and may you both continue to find the strength that you need. I feel really horrible that this is happening
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #6  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

My prayers are for Sharmel & you. I remember how excited she was when she was scheduled for the surgery. Last night, my hubby & I were just talking about all the trials she has been through. There doesn't seem to be a reason that I see in the posts for the trials she has endured as it appears her drs & post op care are very good. God will reveal the way in His own time--until then we pray for you both & wait.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #7  
No description available.

Hugs and prayers to you and Sharmel...
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #8  

I don't know how I missed this thread this morning. Sharmel, please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #9  

Oh God.. I don't know what to say.. Thanks for sharing this with us.. My heart goes out to both of you! I pray to God that everything turns out well..

D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Sending you both the strength to continue getting thru this. Please keep us posted and let Shar know that all her net pals are really pulling for her to come back home quickly.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote