Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Default Would you have WLS again?

Hi all!
This is just a quick question that I am curious about. FIRST, my personal view on WLS is that it is a valid option for many individuals, and that the decision to have WLS is personal and extremely well-thought-out. I have read a number of posts from people with significant success AND with significant complications. And, sometimes, when one lives with the consequences of a decision, the reality isn't exactly what one hoped/imagined it would be.
SO, my question is this:
Knowing what you know NOW, after the surgery, if you could turn back the clock, would you make the same decision to have surgery?
This question is not judgemental, nor is it asking whether given the same circumstances you would make the same decision. I am just wondering about your reflections on your surgical outcome, and given the results, would you do it again.
This is not a judgemental question - I'm just interested in your thoughts.
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #2  
Fat to PHAT!!

S/C/G: 255/234/155

I have personally not undergone any of the procedures, but I know 3 others that have and all 3 say they would never change it!!

It is the general concensus from all of them that the first few weeks following are terrible, some of the worst of their lives. After those weeks, they recover and go on to great success. And admittedly, they all look great now. Granted, none of them experienced any real complications, but they are all happy with their results.
TiredofWeightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #3  

YES! YES! YES!

I am convinced that the Lapband completely changed and possibly even saved my life. The excess weight was starting to really impact my health and I was in a pretty negative mental state too. Not only have I lost weight and become healthier, I'm much more confident and happy.

The very best thing about my band is knowing that the weight won't pile back on like it has after every diet I've ever been on. I have been successful in losing and maintaining since I've been banded. I still want to lose about 30 more pounds, but even if I never do, I have all the confidence in the world, that with proper restriction, I won't gain it back. That's huge!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #4  

Absolutely. I had it in August 1986 -- 20 years ago. I didn't hit goal until 1998, so it didn't always look successful, but once I started using my WLS tool, my results were great.

Also, due to the WLS I lost enough in the beginning to regulate my periods, enabling me to get pregnant and give birth to my daughter! Who is driving me crazy these days, but if I hadn't lost another pound, that alone would have made WLS a great success for me.

If I knew then what I know today, I would have sung for joy when I checked into that hospital that fateful morning!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #5  
In it for life!

My best friend had WLS and has lost a total of 146 pounds. She is now a size 0/3 after being a size 18/20 for a long while. She looks great in clothes but in shorts or a swim suit, it's pretty bad. She has a lot of excess baggy skin on her legs. The only problem I have with the surgery is the rapid weight loss and the skin doesn't have time to catch up.

She said she would definitely do it again.
LindaB763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #6  

I had gastric bypass on 4/24/06 and would definitely do it again. I've lost 70 pounds in 3 months and am thrilled with how I feel and look. It is a tool and I think everyone needs to research and make their own decision. I was terrified before I had the surgery, but I decided that the life I was going to have was not going to be half as good as it would being healthy and fit. I made the decision to have the surgery and I can't tell you how happy I have been. I worry about my pouch. I want to keep it as small as possible for as long as possible. But these are worries I'm happy to have.

Jeanette
321/253/165
Yorkiemom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #7  

I would absolutely do it again! And this is from someone who has had some complications. I know I will never be 368 pounds again, and it's worth every set back I've had. The surgery is not for everyone, and that's the first thing I tell people, they've got to do their own research and make up their own mind.

As for the loose skin - yeah I have a little and I would like to get rid of it, but being able to walk 8 miles a day without killing myself is worth it. And I don't think that this problem is exclusive to WLS. ANYONE who has been MO for many years runs the risk of their skin drooping after weight loss, no matter how fast or slow. I believe that is one of those myths that keep on popping up.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #8  

For me, I wouldn't do it again. But things have change dramatically since I had the surgery and the lap procedures coupled with bypass account for the higher successes and the fewer complications overall.

But...I still think there are huge issues and personally if I could venture forth with a vote on this subject, I'd want to see the BMI requirements MUCH higher and far more attention paid to alternatives in a meaningful way.

I don't much engage in thoughts like 'if I had it to do over again'. I did what I did at the time with the best information and hope I had available to me then. That was all I could do.

As far as this issue of skin due to fast loss. I had anything BUT fast weight loss and still had a huge pannus and have lots and lots of skin on my legs. It cannot be said that its because I lost weight too quickly. Not by a country mile. As Invisigoth says, its based on the degree of Morbid Obesity, youth, overall skin condition, nutritional factors and so forth.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #9  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Default I wish I would have done in 5 years ago

I had the lap RNY 3/1/06 and although the first week or 2 were uncomfortable (I expected that), I have been happier than I ever thought possible with the ongoing results. In 5 months, I've lost about 75# and is continuing now to come off at 10-15 pounds monthly (depending on how much I exercise). I haven't experienced loose skin, it has been keeping up with the weight loss. I haven't experienced hair loss because I take all the necessary supplements. I rarely eat something that doesn't agree with me. I have learned how to eat in a restaurant, but always prefer cooking my own food. I went into this knowing that foods with high sugar & fat will be off limits to me for the rest of my life & it is a small sacrifice for the results of not having to take high blood pressure meds, acid reflux meds, pain pills, & being able to walk more that 1/2 block without resting. I easily walk 2 miles now.

My only regret is not having it done years sooner--I mourn those years that I sacrificed my quality of life thinking there was no alternative.

My cousin also had this surgery 3 years ago and is just as pleased as I am.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yes
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I would do it again in a heartbeat.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Thanks so much for all your input and for sharing your experiences! Best of luck to ALL of you in your pursuit for a healthier life!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 468/250/180

Height: 5'3

Default would i ever do it again

In a heart beat!!! I had gastric bypass surger almost 2 years ago and it has been the best thing for me. I weighed 468lbs and was told by my Dr if I did not have this surgery I was going to die with in 5 years. boy was that a wake up call. I am 32 years old and a single mother of 2 little girls. I weighed 468 the day for my surgery and I am now down to 250lbs. I had no complications from the surgery except for the pain but hey you have to go threw pain to see the better side of life. I can walk with out being out of breath. I exercise 3 times a week. IN A HEART BEAT I WOULD DO THIS AGAIN.
4LIFE2004 is offline   Reply With Quote