Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Question about the forms to fill out

OK
I have depression and have a shrink and meds My Mom thinks I shouldn't mention my depression on the form for the doc. She thinks it will make me look like a less desireable candidate. I'm waiting to see what my sister says. . .but i figured I'd put it to you guys and see what you said
I'm making a concerted effort to not use food as a crutch and while I witch more I'm not saying oooh Bread(inserty carby food product here)
So whats your take on depression mention it not mention it
ARG!
So many things to consider!
Thanks for the ears and eyes!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #2  

I definitely think you should list it. It is a medical issue. It can have an effect on your post-op recovery. In fact depression can be made worse by the after effects of anesthesia and the physical trauma of surgery.

Your physician needs ALL of your medical history in order to treat you effectively and properly.

Oh ... and the anesthesiologist needs to know about ALL of the meidcations you are taking in case there is a known contraindication with anesthesia.

Your surgeon and the psychologist used for your psych eval cannot accurately assess your suitability for the surgery unless they know all of your history. If you hide things to make yourself a "more desirable candidate" you're not doing yourself any favours.

The job of the surgeons and the psychologists is not to deny people surgery but to try to avoid situations where they operate on people who are not ready or able (for various reasons) to commit to the necessary changes after surgery. This isn't out of spite but because they want what is best for the patient.

If you have food issues, mental health issues or physical issues that are a deterrent to surgery or to proper post-op behaviour modifications then you're much better off knowing about them and working on those issues before you have the surgery. It could save you a lot of time, money, effort and pain.

Be honest with your doctor. Lying to him only has the potential to hurt you in the long run.

Best wishes,
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Carole!
Thats What I intend to do!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO
Thanks Carole!
Thats What I intend to do!
Just to let you know ... I have a history of depression (with several meds taken over the past decade) combined with a family history of depression and it didn't seem to affect my surgical approval or my psych approval.
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #5  

Also... depression is often related to obesity. Instead of looking at depression as a reason not to have surgery, some physicians looks at it as a reason why WLS is needed.
tweet-tweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

KO, I didn't mention my past depression history, I felt the same way as your Mom. I didn't plan on not telling them, it was a weird feeling I got that I shouldn't tell. But thats just me. You do what you need to do.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

this is a very very tough call. if you're filling out forms for THE INSURANCE COMPANY, i'd think twice about putting it in. depression co-exists with obesity, but whether the depression causes the obesity or the obesity causes the depression is anyone's guess. the psychologist evaluation for surgery is mostly designed to get an idea of whether you really understand what you're in for, and if you have the coping skills to handle it. it's NOT to assess your depression [although that might enter into the discussion, it's NOT the focus]

on the other hand, if you're doing a history for your doctor, then you MUST include it. the doc needs ALL your information in order to treat you appropriately.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

you guys are the best!!
I'm sure my mom meant insurance.
I'm a pretty dynamic person engaging blah blah blah so I don't think it will be a problem and with this situation Especially b/c meds affect me strongly 1 iv and i'm out cold
Old 05-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #9  

I'd for sure make my doctor aware at the time of the surgery but may consider NOT including that in my insurance forms.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote