Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #1  
Shary

Question Lap Banders

Hey everyone,
I'm new here. Have been doing extensive research on gastric banding. I've heard many good things but very few bad things. As a matter of fact, the worst thing I've heard so far, was from someone in this blog who mentioned she was depressed and struggling with the liquid diet portion of the post op. SPEAK UP FOLKS (pretty please?). I really would like to hear the negative points to this procedure. Has anyone out there had a lap band placed and then removed because they didn't like it? I'm seriously considering this procedure, but I know in my heart of hearts that it cannot be entirely wonderful and great. Would any of you lapbanders out there be willing to speak up about the negatives ??? Feel free to counter with the positives, but I really do want to go into this with a realistic knowledge of what I'm going to encounter.

Thanks everyone!
Shary
sharybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #2  

I would like to hear more too. Sometimes the gastric stories sound very tough, I wonder how the lapband compares?
Queenie1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #3  

I'd also love to hear any negatives and/or struggles with the band. I'm seeing my doctor on Friday to discuss the surgery. I've spoken with my insurance and lap-band will be covered for me, as is bypass. I'm not comfortable with re-routing my stuff, so the band is my choice. I'm sure my dr. will be happy since he's been on me to do wls for the last couple years - as he always says "you're too young not to be enjoying your life".. finally, I digress, he's right. I'm actually excited and looking forward to what will be.. but I'd certainly love to hear any negatives as well. It's better to go into this informed and with realistic expectations.

Thanks in advance for your time/stories.

El
Elektralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #4  

Okey dokey,

I'll bite, so to speak.

I've been banded for over 2 years. I gotta tell you ladies that I have very little negative to say about the band.

I do wish I would lose weight faster. I've been at the same weight for quite a while now. Of course, I do not diet. I just try to make healthy choices most of the time, so if I dieted I would probably not have this comment. I do work out like a fiend though.

There are times when I am pissed because I want to eat more food. It's kind of a shocker to realize how big a role food plays in your life. This complaint would be true for any weight loss surgery, not just the band.

When food gets stuck it hurts! Even after two years I have to remind myself to eat very slowly and take very small bites. I remember reading before I was banded that a bite of food should be about the size of a kernel of corn and thinking that was just crazy talk. It's true though, small bites are very important. Sometimes I miss the feeling of lots of food in my mouth, as strange as that sounds. I believe this is also true for bypass patients, but I could be wrong. It's happened before!

If you want to completely sabotage yourself by eating around the band, you can. I'm not sure why you would though. If you choose to eat only ice cream and cookies and other fattening things that slip right through your stoma, you could totally undermine all your efforts. I have always been a big sweets eater and the band has been a blessing because my need for sweet stuff has lessened amazingly. I still eat some, but not a ton.

That's all I can think of for now. I really do love my band and feel it's one of the best decisions I ever made. Hopefully some of our other bandsters will chime in here too.

Later,
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #5  
Shary

Talking Thanks Chickadee!

Chickadee!
Thanks for the info! If I may be so bold as to ask direct questions???
How long are you on clear liquids post op? Then how long on mushy food?
I'm assuming the next step after that is regular, well-chewed food???

About how much weight did you lose in your first year??? I'm assuming the weight comes off quicker at the beginning.

I know my tasty friend and my too-frequent passion (food) needs a physical restraining order, and like you, I have very little doubt that I'm gonig to miss it once that restraining order is put on...

I like though, that even in the face of those nostalgic memories and woes, you still have little if no regrets that you did it.

Shary
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/278/120

Default Lapband Negatives

1. Weight loss can be a lot slower than other WLS. This can be very frustrating because we want the weight off now, so you have to be patient.

2. You have an device in your body (can be strange, but you really can't tell)

3. You get fills which is a shot in your stomach to the port (doesn't really hurt, it's like any shot).

4. Some people have complications where the band erodes or slips and it has to be removed. That would really suck to go through another surgery. It seems that this may be perfected and maybe doesn't happen as much, but I could be wrong.

So far these are the only negatives I can think of and really not that big of a deal. I would take these negatives any day compared to the negatives with Gastric bypass.

Read the book "Lap-band for Life" by Dr. Ortiz.
Debra3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #7  
Shary

Default Thanks Debra!

You folks are so great to get back to me on this! So I take it you're glad you did it? Seems like that's the overwhelming consensus here. Was reading through the other thread for Lapbanders. What a bunch of characters! Somebody call TBS. VERY funny. I think I've pretty much decided to go ahead with it. I think I'm going to go to Tiajuana to do it. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/278/120

The lapband is a great tool but you have to work it and follow the guidelines and you will be successful. For me it was this or nothing. I was too scared to have the bypass and felt too risky, even though I know many people that had it done and they are so common these days. Pick an experienced lapband surgeon, I think that is the most important.
Debra3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybean
I think I've pretty much decided to go ahead with it. I think I'm going to go to Tiajuana to do it. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Sharybean,

I am a self-pay patient and had my surgery done locally, but I did consider having it done in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. My only suggestion/thought on having it done in Mexico is this:

Before you even schedule the surgery in Mexico make sure you have lined up competent aftercare for you fills and follow-ups. With this surgery, more than any other, your weight loss is dependent upon good, knowledgeable after care.

Finding a doctor who will do aftercare for a patient s/he did not band can be difficult. Many surgical practices are simply too busy to take on patients from other surgeons and some surgeons have concerns over malpractice issues involved with doing fills and aftercare for patients they did not band.

Other than that, thoroughly research the surgeons in Mexico and choose carefully - just like you would do here in the States!

Best wishes!
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #10  
Shary

Thanks Veggie Mom!
Any reference there to Veggie Tales? Great advice by the way. I actually looked into the follow-up protocol and the place I'm looking at is actually very insistent on patient's following up with THEM. Not exactly overly excited about having to fly to San Diego on the weekends... turns into an expensive trip. They charge a fee of $250 and they do the fill under a fluoroscope while you're swallowing x-ray lucent fluid. So between the cost of the fill and the cost of the flight, between $500-600 per fill. Seems a bit hefty but then again, I'm new to all of this. The attending surgeon (I forget his name) is FACS certified. They have a website: www.getbandednow.com. I spoke to one of their US based counsellors and by all indications, they seem like a first-rate organization.

VeggieMom... are you glad you got it done? Any regrets? I'm "feeling out" as many banders as possible. There's a permanence to this procedure and I want to go into it emotionally prepared for what's to come.

All of you banders are very kind to take the time to share and educate.

Have a wondeful day!
Shary
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #11  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

hey there bean!

I'm going to TJ to have my band. Dr. Ortiz who wrote the book "Lap Band for Life" is performing the surgery. I feel really comfortable going there. They 'insisted' I follow up with them but were going to charge the same rates - $250 per fill and I just told them "uh, no!" and found a doctor here in Houston who is willing to follow me and do my fills. I already have my aftercare appointment scheduled - and the surgery hasn't even happened yet! Oh, my surgery is on May 12th and I paid $8500.

Good luck to you!!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #12  
Shary

That's exactly the same price I was quoted. Have you definitely decided to go ahead with it? I'll need to google Dr. Ortiz and see where he is exactly.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #13  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Bean,

yes, I'm going through with it. I'm leaving a week from today!!!! My surgery is Friday, 5/12/06. I'll definately let you know how it goes. I'll tell you the real scoop - you can count on it!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Hey Sharybean,
I just got banded on March 20th. I go for my first fill on May 23rd. So far I have had no problems with my band. The liquid and mushy phase to a bit of getting used to. About four to five days post-op I was craving reqular food until I found a protein shake that I really liked, and then things got better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybean
How long are you on clear liquids post op? Then how long on mushy food?
I'm assuming the next step after that is regular, well-chewed food???

Shary
To answer your questions, I was on liquids for two weeks post-op which does include protein shakes, and then mushy foods for another two weeks. I am currently on regualar foods. However, that will change after I go for my first fill and then I will repeat my post-op diet.

I hope this helps.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #15  
Shary

Default Deborah and Angela

Keep me posted Girls! Angela, I'll be really looking forward to hearing from you post op! Good luck! Deborah, Thanks so much for answering my questions. I ordered a book that one of the gals on this thread recommended... It's not the one authored by Dr. Ortiz... but rather a nutritionist who works with banders. Anway... it's still not here and I'm chompin' at the bit... actually more than just the bit... still chompin' on TOO MUCH FOOD! I keep thinking about how, if I do this, it's going to change SO MUCH. I'm a big sushi freak and most banders I've talked to say they cannot eat shushi... rice is bad so I hear. Am I going to give up the social aspect of eating with friends? Give up SUSHI??? ... never more to go out with friends, share rolls of raw fish and rice???.. food is such a social thing... I'm worried about being the odd man out (so to speak) at social dinners and such. Wierd when you ponder how much of our lives revolve around food... Then we wonder why American's are so fat...