Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #16  

Wow such info. I am scheduled for my TT in 11 days. I too am staying only 1 night. I am having a extended TT and some lipo during surgery. I worry about that pain thing as well. Doctor told me 3 weeks off work, are needed. Hopefully I will be up and about within a few days like Mrs Jim. Its been 1-1/2 years since WLS. I had lost 144 lbs.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #17  

Thanks to everyone for the info. One other question I have is after the tt if I lost weight would it affect the look of the tt?

Good Luck DITZY BLOND. Please let me know how you have done. I am going in Aug 31. I too am afraid of the pain. I have had chronic back pain for over a year with two back surgeries in that time. I am nervous wondering if I can cope with all the pain. I guess it is only for a short time and the rewards should out weigh it.

Thanks again everyone.

Dee
Deelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelite
Thanks to everyone for the info. One other question I have is after the tt if I lost weight would it affect the look of the tt?

Dee
That's a question you should DEFINITELY ask your potential surgeon.

If you haven't already done so, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the "Weight Loss and Loose Skin FAQ" thread which I linked to in my first post on this thread where you'll find some terrific links. I would also suggest reading up as much as you can on the procedure (check your library). One of the books I recommended - Two Girlfriends Get Real About Cosmetic Surgery is not only informative but a fun read as well! RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and then do some MORE research. If you know people who have had plastic surgery, ask them who their surgeon was and their opinions of the work, etc. (I had an easy time in selecting a surgeon - she did my mom's reconstructive breast surgery after her masectomy so I knew she did great work). There are a LOT of plastic surgeons around - I think that it's essential not only to get someone who does great work, but a surgeon who explains things to you and doesn't BS around.

The website tuckthattummy.com has a questionnaire you can print out and use when you go to consult with a surgeon initially. Also (for Ditzy Blonde) there is a SHOPPING LIST of stuff to buy that you will want to have around when you get home from the surgery center or hospital - I'd HIGHLY advise printing it out and starting to assemble what you'll need to have on hand

Also a little tip - if you're taking combinations of pain pills, try and stop one of them as soon as you can, because they can make you very constipated (speaking from agonizing personal experience here!) and I'm telling you, when your stomach muscles are freshly sutured, you might experience a bit of difficulty (well maybe more than just a bit!) doing your bathroom business...

Oh and DB - Good luck! Check in at the Maintainers Forum and let Meg, Mel and I know how it went!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #19  
DaisyGurl

Hi Deelite!
I had my tummy tuck with muscle tightening done 12/2004, yes it was about the same amount of pain and uncomfortableness as my gastric bypass, because I had open surgery, and for my tummy tuck I opted for the anchor cut style so I was cut from breast bone to pubic bone and from hip to hip. I just recommend askign as many questions as you can about the procedures you are interested in and ask them what type of result you can expect to achieve. Good Luck!
daisygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 AM   #20  

Default I did it too!

Hi - I had a TT w/lipo in December 04. I was off work about 3 weeks - then went back half days for the first week. My TT was done at the clinic and I went home a couple of hours. Similar to my C-Section but more intense on the recovery. If you live alone - you will need help at home 24 hours for the first couple of days but after than you can manage as long as you don't overdo - NO BENDING, LIFTING, ETC! Emptying and protecting the drains was interesting and challenging to say the least.

My scar is very neat and also below the bikini line - I don't have any feeling in a small area between the navel and the suture line. That is weird but I am getting over it. My flat tummy is a thing of beauty and was totally worth it.

I agree about the pain pills - I only took a few the first couple of days and my nurses said that helped me in recovering quickly. The more help you have so that you don't strain yourself when getting up and down, the less you will need the pain pills. I was required to get up walk around the house within a day or two to prevent blood clots. The walking to and from the bathroom etc. was not as painful as the transitioning. Thank goodness my DH and DDs were there to help me. You don't realizie how much you use your stomach muscles to get out of a chair or bed!

Good luck!

mscat
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #21  

Thank you for the encouraging words and advise, mscat and Daisygurl. My big day is next wednesday. I am nervous but also can't wait to have it over and done with and see some results. I know that there will be swelling for up to six months but after that it will show its rewards. How long did you girls have swelling? Changing the bag for the drains will be my hubbys job. I hope that he can do it because he is a quizzey kind of guy. My scar will be from hip to hip. Hopefully it will be as good as yours mscat. Thanks for the luck. I will post when I am up to it after surgery and let you know how I do.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #22  

Deelite
The tummy tuck was not as much pain as I thought it would be. I had problems with the drains. Please make every effort not to pull them out, or if you move a lot in your sleep be sure to pin them to your support garment, not you PJ"s. I managed to loose all 4 drains before it was time. I am now just two weeks out of surgery, and I must continue to wear the compression garment 24 hours a day, and have strict orders to rest with my feet up. I have to be tapped to get the drainage out of me. Doctor says this will be done 3 times before putting the drains back in. A small bit of surgery from what he tells me.
My misgivings was that I was feeling so well, I went for a walk, and did too much too fast. Be sure to rest. Even if you feel good. It is very important.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #23  

Ditzy Blond I am glad that you were not in as much pain as you expected. I will be careful with the drains, I didn't realize that the drains were so important. How are you feeling this week? I hope that you are feeling great and healing well.
Tomorrow is my big day and I am really nervous. You did encourage me with how well you felt after. Hopefully I will recover quickly like you.