Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #1  

Default Restaurant Eating after WLS

During the first year post surgery, I ate so little that eating at a restaurant was ridiculous. A few bites of soup or what have you, and that was it. The wait-people were constantly asking me if everything was okay. I sort of expected it then.

I am almost four years post op now, and the surgery I had (duodenal switch) allows for more "room" after time, and the ability to eat what they consider a small-normal meal (malabsorption keeps us from regaining). I really am very happy with the amount I am able to eat. It does seem like a small-normal meal until I get to a restaurant. Without going on a major rant about how incredibly MUCH food the restaurant industry considers a serving, I am just sort of annoyed by wasting so much food (often I am out of town, and am not going directly back to an area with refrigeration), and also annoyed by my usual plan which is simply to order a bowl of soup. I get tired of soup!

When I am with my mother, we split an entree, which works well (she had WLS about 30 years ago), although I generally then am inhibited by her food preferences. When I am with my boyfriend, I tend to order soup and have a few bites of his entree. When I go out with my children, I let all three of them order, and just ask for an extra plate for myself and ask them to share with me. I don't want to be rude to them, but restaurant portions really are so huge that they don't need the whole thing, and it seems stupid to order something I will never eat.

Is anyone else annoyed by this? Have better suggestions for dealing with it?

Thanks,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

i'm starting to get annoyed with that as well, dawna... i don't mind eating leftovers, but 3 more meals???? gets a bit boring. sooo at least i order stuff i REALLY like. but when traveling, it's next to impossible. in the best of all possible worlds, i order an appetizer plus a salad. sometimes the entrees are just larger portions of the appetizer with a potato, salad, and veggie thrown in.

or i head for shrimp - something i KNOW will be served in controlled portions [like 4-6 shrimp per serving].

in the summer, the combination of a shrimp cocktail plus salad is really good...

hope others chime in with some good ideas... you're right - this DOES get annoying. of course, if we were all independently wealthy, we could all head for those precious, expensive restaurants that serve two bites!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #3  
WLS Nov 4, 2003

the shrimp cocktail idea is a good one with a salad.
Do you have a Shoney's Restaurant around. I have a card from my doctor that tells that I can only eat small portions and it allows me to order from the childrens menu if the Restaurant agrees. It was just enough for me.
It is so nice to be able to go out and not eat alot
I have lost 130 pounds since my surgury on November 4th 2003
Sharon
sharoncunningham72 is offline   Reply With Quote